Help!

  • larryu81
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
      I am attempting to go 'car lite'--I just don't see any way of going
      'car free' at the moment. I have a Fuji Monterrey hybrid which I have
      equipped with front and rear panniers and a handlebar bag; I can do
      quite a bit with it, but I'm constantly 'hitting the cieling' of how
      much I can haul; often it isn't a matter of weight so much as of bulk.

      I'm considering various options, and ran across www.xtracycle.com.

      1. Is there anyone in the Charleston, WV area who has one of these
      that I could test?

      2. Would the Free Radical work on my current bike, or would I have to
      'bite the bullet' and get a whole new machine?

      You haven't a dealership here, yet, but I usually take my bike to

      Charleston Bicycle Center
      409 53rd St SE
      Charleston, WV 25304

      (304) 925-8348 , and I'm sure they'd be happy to take care of the
      matter for me. (My mechanical skills are not up to doing it myself,
      thank you.)
    • Juergen Weichert
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
        larryu81 wrote:
        > I am attempting to go 'car lite'--I just don't see any way of going
        > 'car free' at the moment. I have a Fuji Monterrey hybrid which I have
        > equipped with front and rear panniers and a handlebar bag; I can do
        > quite a bit with it, but I'm constantly 'hitting the cieling' of how
        > much I can haul; often it isn't a matter of weight so much as of bulk.
        >
        > I'm considering various options, and ran across www.xtracycle.com.
        >
        > 1. Is there anyone in the Charleston, WV area who has one of these
        > that I could test?
        >
        > 2. Would the Free Radical work on my current bike, or would I have to
        > 'bite the bullet' and get a whole new machine?
        >
        > You haven't a dealership here, yet, but I usually take my bike to
        >
        > Charleston Bicycle Center
        > 409 53rd St SE
        > Charleston, WV 25304
        >
        > (304) 925-8348 , and I'm sure they'd be happy to take care of the
        > matter for me. (My mechanical skills are not up to doing it myself,
        > thank you.)

        You can carry up to 200lbs on your Xtracycle. Would that be enough? I
        routinely carry my son in a front mounted child carrier, my daughter on
        the rear deck, and go grocery shopping. With that load I am able to
        carry several bags of groceries in the Xtracycle before it gets tough
        for my daugher to get her feet onto the foot rests.

        I have also carried furniture and other large items. I start my car
        about once a week if necessary to carry all four of us longer distances
        or if I have to carry more than 200lbs of cargo..

        Be sure to order the Xtracycle model that is for 700c wheels. Make sure
        your rear wheel is also in good shape. The Xtracycle comes with great
        instructions so no problem having your local bike shop install it. You
        will pay for the Xtracycle within a few months of going car-lite.

        The largest single item I have carried is a new 40 gallon water heater -
        though that was on a trailer, not on the Xtracycle. You can always get a
        cargo trailer and connect it to your Xtracycle in case you have even
        larger loads.

        Juergen

        Juergen Weichert
        613-746-7685
        Acclivity Solutions
        www.acclivity.ca
      • Stuart Edwards
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
          Hi!
          I am "car lite" with an xtracycle and bulk is great on this bike! I am sure you will be able to use your existing machine and any bike store will fit the xtracycle easily. IN hind sight i wish that I had done the bulk of the installation as it is really quite simple, and just go the bike store to do the yechies stuff like drive chain etc.
          I exist without the wide loaders, but when I am carrying my two daughters(5 and 7), library books and groceries i think that I should splash out! I might custom make my own.

          14 miles to work in 45 mph sub antartic southerlies and rain this morning! PHEW! hard work but what a rush.

          I love Wellington New Zealand!

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...>
            wrote:

            > You can carry up to 200lbs on your Xtracycle. Would that be
            enough?

            Probably. Although perhaps some variant of Parkenson's Law might
            come into play.

            > routinely carry my son in a front mounted child carrier, my
            daughter on
            > the rear deck, and go grocery shopping. With that load I am able
            > carry several bags of groceries in the Xtracycle before it gets
            tough
            > for my daugher to get her feet onto the foot rests.
            >
            > I have also carried furniture and other large items. I start my
            car
            > about once a week if necessary to carry all four of us longer
            distances
            > or if I have to carry more than 200lbs of cargo..

            There's also the matter of going to 'dressy' occasions.

            > Be sure to order the Xtracycle model that is for 700c wheels. Make
            sure
            > your rear wheel is also in good shape.

            I'll probably get a new wheel--the strongest he has available.

            The Xtracycle comes with great
            > instructions so no problem having your local bike shop install it.
            You
            > will pay for the Xtracycle within a few months of going car-lite.

            Even with what I have, I save a lot of money. Sometimes when I
            drive past the gas stations and see the SUV's and minivans and land-
            barges fueling up I have to resist a strong impulse to thumb my nose.

            > The largest single item I have carried is a new 40 gallon water
            heater -
            Impressive.

            > though that was on a trailer, not on the Xtracycle. You can always
            get a
            > cargo trailer and connect it to your Xtracycle in case you have
            even
            > larger loads.

            That was another question I had. I'm also looking at Workbikes'
            trailers.

            > Juergen
            >

            > Juergen Weichert
            > 613-746-7685
            > Acclivity Solutions
            > www.acclivity.ca

            You're in Canada? Do the winters have any impact on your Car-Lite
            lifestyle?
          • Ryano
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
              >You're in Canada? Do the winters have any impact on your Car-Lite
              lifestyle?

              Don't know how Juergen handles the winters in Canada, but in Japan many people use studded tyres.  In my humble opinion it is safer than walking when there is lots of ice.  There are many different sizes and types.  As long as you have these and good gloves and socks, I find it very cozy in winter.  Incidentally, some people find that having a stud tyre only on the front wheel of the bicycle is sufficient.

              wrote:

              > You can carry up to 200lbs on your Xtracycle. Would that be
              enough?

              Probably. Although perhaps some variant of Parkenson's Law might
              come into play.

              > routinely carry my son in a front mounted child carrier, my
              daughter on
              > the rear deck, and go grocery shopping. With that load I am able
              > carry several bags of groceries in the Xtracycle before it gets
              tough
              > for my daugher to get her feet onto the foot rests.
              >
              > I have also carried furniture and other large items. I start my
              car
              > about once a week if necessary to carry all four of us longer
              distances
              > or if I have to carry more than 200lbs of cargo..

              There's also the matter of going to 'dressy' occasions.

              > Be sure to order the Xtracycle model that is for 700c wheels. Make
              sure
              > your rear wheel is also in good shape.

              I'll probably get a new wheel--the strongest he has available.

              The Xtracycle comes with great
              > instructions so no problem having your local bike shop install it.
              You
              > will pay for the Xtracycle within a few months of going car-lite.

              Even with what I have, I save a lot of money. Sometimes when I
              drive past the gas stations and see the SUV's and minivans and land-
              barges fueling up I have to resist a strong impulse to thumb my nose.

              > The largest single item I have carried is a new 40 gallon water
              heater -
              Impressive.

              > though that was on a trailer, not on the Xtracycle. You can always
              get a
              > cargo trailer and connect it to your Xtracycle in case you have
              even
              > larger loads.

              That was another question I had. I'm also looking at Workbikes'
              trailers.

              > Juergen
              >

              > Juergen Weichert
              > 613-746-7685
              > Acclivity Solutions
              > www.acclivity.ca

              You're in Canada? Do the winters have any impact on your Car-Lite
              lifestyle?

            • Susan
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 8, 2006
                I found myself, too often, in the "well, I'd ride my bike but... it's
                a potluck. Where would the crock pot go?" ...or a few too many books...

                I asked my bike shop guy about the Xtracycle and he said it was an
                "interesting alternative to panniers" and that he'd enjoy putting it
                onto my bike. I have a Trek 7500FX hybrid and a Giant Nutra hybrid...
                decided to go with the steel Nutra but primarily because then I'd
                still have a "fast" bike.
                Once I got it, I became profoundly more car-lite [linguistic note:
                properly spelling light would be confusing; lite has taken on its own
                meaning...]. On days with winds of 35 mph, or freezing rain, I would
                have every intention of driving the car, but ... that bike would say
                "I can handle it! Come on! These are the miles that really count!"
                The studded tires might just happen this winter.
                It's also not *that* slow :-) I took it on the Horsey Hundred and
                the Grand Illinois Trails and Parks ride for a few hundred miles, and
                it trotted up and down those hills in fine form.
                It also solved some of those potluck issues - yes, a crock pot
                fits (as does the indoor trainer), but for my official Middle Age
                Unreasonable Expenditure, I got the blender accessory. I have become
                a legend in my own mind...
                I have ridden 4200+ miles and driven 2800-ish (including a
                1600-mile trip to Maryland). I thought I already rode a lot but I've
                seriously weighed the cost of car registration and insurance against
                the cost of occasional car rental, since I will go weeks between road
                trips (and then it's often "if I don't drive the thing, it will get
                cobwebs somewhere"). However, this is a college town and most things
                are reasonably safely accessible via bicycle - I realize that's not
                true in many places.