Re: [rootsradicals] Re: New Xtracycle experience

  • todd fahrner
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
      On Aug 1, 2006, at 2:09 PM, alexbknight wrote:

      > Hi Todd,
      > I've been going through some of the old Forums on Xtracycle and you
      > have a post with a handlebar mounted child seat on an electric bike.
      > (2003!)
      > This is mounted high on the bars so doesn't seem to get in the way
      > of the legs.
      > Do you have a reference for this one?

      That (http://todd.cleverchimp.com/bike/cp/scale.html) is a Bobike
      Mini seat, made by Dremefa of the Netherlands. They manufacture the
      Peapod as well, known as the Bobike Maxi.

      > Also, now that I start to have a bit of experience I am deciding how
      > to change the bike.
      > First place to start is obviously the wheels, but I am thinking that
      > the best bet might be to buy a heavy duty mountain bike (downhill),
      > that is one size too large for me, and then put on some back curved
      > handlebars that you are all on about?
      > What do you think, what would be your ideal if making a new X?

      I'm working on a more complete description in the form of a blog post
      on this subject, but for now I'd recommend (not a complete list):

      - Surly Instigator frame with Surly 1x1 rigid fork, 170mm cranks,
      Titec Hellbent layback seatpost, Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"

      - Surly Karate Monkey frame/fork with 26" disk wheels, 170mm cranks,
      Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"
    • alexbknight
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 14, 2006
        Hi,
        sorry to keep asking questions, but I am very interested in getting
        the right set-up.
        I actually already have the bobike mini seat on another bike, I just
        didn't recognise it. There is a big problem with this seat if you
        want to do an bomb proof xtracycle, it needs to be pretty high up a
        long handlebar stem, and won't fit around an aheadset spacer.
        As most mountain bikes come with Aheadset now, and the top tubes are
        not too long, how do you get around this? Do you build your own
        bikes up with standard stems? I have thought about taking out the
        spangled nut on a bike and fitting a standard stem as well as the
        ahead stem, this works but obviously limits the adjustment of the
        headset.
        The surleys you mention also come with aheadset, so same problem...

        Thanks

        Alex

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, todd fahrner <fahrner@...>
        wrote:

        > On Aug 1, 2006, at 2:09 PM, alexbknight wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Todd,
        > > I've been going through some of the old Forums on Xtracycle and
        you
        > > have a post with a handlebar mounted child seat on an electric
        bike.
        > > (2003!)
        > > This is mounted high on the bars so doesn't seem to get in the
        way
        > > of the legs.
        > > Do you have a reference for this one?
        >
        > That (http://todd.cleverchimp.com/bike/cp/scale.html) is a Bobike
        > Mini seat, made by Dremefa of the Netherlands. They manufacture
        the
        > Peapod as well, known as the Bobike Maxi.
        >
        > > Also, now that I start to have a bit of experience I am deciding
        how
        > > to change the bike.
        > > First place to start is obviously the wheels, but I am thinking
        that
        > > the best bet might be to buy a heavy duty mountain bike
        (downhill),
        > > that is one size too large for me, and then put on some back
        curved
        > > handlebars that you are all on about?
        > > What do you think, what would be your ideal if making a new X?
        >
        > I'm working on a more complete description in the form of a blog
        post
        > on this subject, but for now I'd recommend (not a complete list):
        >
        > - Surly Instigator frame with Surly 1x1 rigid fork, 170mm cranks,
        > Titec Hellbent layback seatpost, Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"
        >
        > - Surly Karate Monkey frame/fork with 26" disk wheels, 170mm
        cranks,
        > Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"

      • John Speare
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 14, 2006
          On 8/1/06, todd fahrner <fahrner@...> wrote:

          > > What do you think, what would be your ideal if making a new X?
          >

          > I'm working on a more complete description in the form of a blog post
          > on this subject, but for now I'd recommend (not a complete list):
          >
          > - Surly Instigator frame with Surly 1x1 rigid fork, 170mm cranks,
          > Titec Hellbent layback seatpost, Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"
          >
          > - Surly Karate Monkey frame/fork with 26" disk wheels, 170mm cranks,
          > Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"

          I like Todd's suggestions. I like Surlys and I like steel. I've got my
          xtracycle hooked up to a Bridgestone MB-2 and it works ok, though I've
          been thinking lately I could do with out some of the flex.
          Pictures/info here: http://www.johndogfood.com/x

          I'm actually thinking of buying my first aluminum bike. I've been
          looking at the Novara Buzz (not the "Big Buzz.") as an xtracycle bike.

          It's got sensible gearing (lots of low -- with a pant protector
          instead of a large front chainring), disc brakes, rigid forks,
          sensible bars/riding position and good-enough components.

          Out of the box, I think that would be a hard bike to beat for the
          Xtracycle... i think it retails for about $600... they are not showing
          up on the REI site anymore, which typically means all bikes are in
          store and there are none left at the warehouse... good seller.

          John "no relation to REI, just seems like a good fit" Speare

          --
          John Speare
          Spokane, WA USA
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 14, 2006
            my Xtra convert is a 2000 Cdale F900, with Mavic Speedcitys (700c) with their MP3 program, Kenda Kwik 35c CX tyres, thudbuster seatpost, XT, and of course 203mm avid's.  Cdales have a super strong front susp fork.  its fast, and strong.  700c wheels fit in the MTB frame.
            I've had the bike for 6yrs now, i've rode it like a ton of miles, pulled a BOB all over the place, lived with it for 1.5yrs playin "Joe Techno-yuppie-hobbo" livin out of doors and workin 5 days in a row with 9 days off.  i've worn out 2 wheelsets, and gone thru a bunch of chains, cogsets, tyres, etc.
            its a combo that is hard to beat.
            peace..d

            John Speare <johnspeare@...> wrote:
            On 8/1/06, todd fahrner <fahrner@pobox. com> wrote:

            > > What do you think, what would be your ideal if making a new X?
            >

            > I'm working on a more complete description in the form of a blog post
            > on this subject, but for now I'd recommend (not a complete list):
            >
            > - Surly Instigator frame with Surly 1x1 rigid fork, 170mm cranks,
            > Titec Hellbent layback seatpost, Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"
            >
            > - Surly Karate Monkey frame/fork with 26" disk wheels, 170mm cranks,
            > Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"

            I like Todd's suggestions. I like Surlys and I like steel. I've got my
            xtracycle hooked up to a Bridgestone MB-2 and it works ok, though I've
            been thinking lately I could do with out some of the flex.
            Pictures/info here: http://www.johndogf ood.com/x

            I'm actually thinking of buying my first aluminum bike. I've been
            looking at the Novara Buzz (not the "Big Buzz.") as an xtracycle bike.

            It's got sensible gearing (lots of low -- with a pant protector
            instead of a large front chainring), disc brakes, rigid forks,
            sensible bars/riding position and good-enough components.

            Out of the box, I think that would be a hard bike to beat for the
            Xtracycle... i think it retails for about $600... they are not showing
            up on the REI site anymore, which typically means all bikes are in
            store and there are none left at the warehouse... good seller.

            John "no relation to REI, just seems like a good fit" Speare

            --
            John Speare
            Spokane, WA USA
            http://www.johndogf ood.com/john/ bikes.html

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • fahrner@pobox.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 14, 2006
              > I actually already have the bobike mini seat on another bike, I just
              > didn't recognise it. There is a big problem with this seat if you
              > want to do an bomb proof xtracycle, it needs to be pretty high up a
              > long handlebar stem, and won't fit around an aheadset spacer.

              I successfully used the front seat on a tall stack of aheadset/threadless
              spacer rings (don't cut the steer tube). Not sure if I had a special
              mount, but I don't think so. It was clearly meant to clamp a quill stem,
              but the soft clamp material deformed nicely around the spacers. I had it
              on my custom longtail bike briefly before son outgrew seat.