Re: New Xtracycle experience

  • alexbknight
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Todd,
      I've been going through some of the old Forums on Xtracycle and you
      have a post with a handlebar mounted child seat on an electric bike.
      (2003!)
      This is mounted high on the bars so doesn't seem to get in the way
      of the legs.
      Do you have a reference for this one?

      Also, now that I start to have a bit of experience I am deciding how
      to change the bike.
      First place to start is obviously the wheels, but I am thinking that
      the best bet might be to buy a heavy duty mountain bike (downhill),
      that is one size too large for me, and then put on some back curved
      handlebars that you are all on about?
      What do you think, what would be your ideal if making a new X?

      cheers

      Alex

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, todd fahrner <fahrner@...>

      http://todd.cleverchimp.com/
      > 2fap/2fap.html
      >
      > > The angle change seems to give me "oversteer", i.e. the bike
      would
      > > tend to continue steering more sharply given the choice.
      >
      > That is how I'd describe the feeling of too much trail for the
      load
      > on the front wheel (see my 13 July post "Re: 26 in. wheels"). You
      can
      > reduce trail by steepening the head angle (by any of several
      means)
      > or increasing the rake of the fork. Unfortunately it's hard to
      change
      > one thing at a time, so it's a matter of balancing compromises.
      > Assuming you have a suspension-corrected (or suspension) fork,
      you
      > could try substituting a rigid short fork to steepen the front
      end,
      > and substituting a seatpost with extra offset/layback to keep
      your
      > weight off your hands.

    • alexbknight
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
        Got the PC working again, I've popped a photo into the photo area,
        have a look, all comments are welcome...

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Derek" <derekjpearson@...>
        wrote:

        > COol! Photos????
        >

        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "alexbknight" <Alexbknight@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > > I have recently completed my xtracycle and am very happy with it.
        > > I took an Orange P7 mountain bike frame with slick tyres and
        > > extended.
        > > Some exeperiences to verify though:
        > >
        > > There is no bridge to mount the x on so I had to use two
        mounting
        > > plates instead of one. This seems to affect the stand over
        height
        > > and head angles quite substantially (1 cm or so difference). A
        > > shaped ( machined alloy) bracket for this point to bring the X
        back
        > > down again would add cost but I would appreciate it.
        > >
        > > The angle change seems to give me "oversteer", i.e. the bike
        would
        > > tend to continue steering more sharply given the choice.
        > >
        > > I tried my wife and child (2 years) on the snap deck, and have
        > > say I had a fair amount of "whip" in the ride at low speed. Is
        this
        > > the Xtracycle configuration or my back wheel being too weedy?
        With
        > > the baby in a frame mounted seat and no wife no problem. Same
        whip
        > > experienced today carrying my dry cleaning (20 kg) home tonight.
        > >
        > > Again, very happy X user, and here in Switzerland it is
        definitely
        > > turning heads...

      • todd fahrner
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
          On Aug 1, 2006, at 2:09 PM, alexbknight wrote:

          > Hi Todd,
          > I've been going through some of the old Forums on Xtracycle and you
          > have a post with a handlebar mounted child seat on an electric bike.
          > (2003!)
          > This is mounted high on the bars so doesn't seem to get in the way
          > of the legs.
          > Do you have a reference for this one?

          That (http://todd.cleverchimp.com/bike/cp/scale.html) is a Bobike
          Mini seat, made by Dremefa of the Netherlands. They manufacture the
          Peapod as well, known as the Bobike Maxi.

          > Also, now that I start to have a bit of experience I am deciding how
          > to change the bike.
          > First place to start is obviously the wheels, but I am thinking that
          > the best bet might be to buy a heavy duty mountain bike (downhill),
          > that is one size too large for me, and then put on some back curved
          > handlebars that you are all on about?
          > What do you think, what would be your ideal if making a new X?

          I'm working on a more complete description in the form of a blog post
          on this subject, but for now I'd recommend (not a complete list):

          - Surly Instigator frame with Surly 1x1 rigid fork, 170mm cranks,
          Titec Hellbent layback seatpost, Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"

          - Surly Karate Monkey frame/fork with 26" disk wheels, 170mm cranks,
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 14, 2006
            Hi,
            sorry to keep asking questions, but I am very interested in getting
            the right set-up.
            I actually already have the bobike mini seat on another bike, I just
            didn't recognise it. There is a big problem with this seat if you
            want to do an bomb proof xtracycle, it needs to be pretty high up a
            long handlebar stem, and won't fit around an aheadset spacer.
            As most mountain bikes come with Aheadset now, and the top tubes are
            not too long, how do you get around this? Do you build your own
            bikes up with standard stems? I have thought about taking out the
            spangled nut on a bike and fitting a standard stem as well as the
            ahead stem, this works but obviously limits the adjustment of the
            headset.
            The surleys you mention also come with aheadset, so same problem...

            Thanks

            wrote:

            > On Aug 1, 2006, at 2:09 PM, alexbknight wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Todd,
            > > I've been going through some of the old Forums on Xtracycle and
            you
            > > have a post with a handlebar mounted child seat on an electric
            bike.
            > > (2003!)
            > > This is mounted high on the bars so doesn't seem to get in the
            way
            > > of the legs.
            > > Do you have a reference for this one?
            >
            > That (http://todd.cleverchimp.com/bike/cp/scale.html) is a Bobike
            > Mini seat, made by Dremefa of the Netherlands. They manufacture
            the
            > Peapod as well, known as the Bobike Maxi.
            >
            > > Also, now that I start to have a bit of experience I am deciding
            how
            > > to change the bike.
            > > First place to start is obviously the wheels, but I am thinking
            that
            > > the best bet might be to buy a heavy duty mountain bike
            (downhill),
            > > that is one size too large for me, and then put on some back
            curved
            > > handlebars that you are all on about?
            > > What do you think, what would be your ideal if making a new X?
            >
            > I'm working on a more complete description in the form of a blog
            post
            > on this subject, but for now I'd recommend (not a complete list):
            >
            > - Surly Instigator frame with Surly 1x1 rigid fork, 170mm cranks,
            > Titec Hellbent layback seatpost, Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"
            >
            > - Surly Karate Monkey frame/fork with 26" disk wheels, 170mm
            cranks,
            > Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"

          • John Speare
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 14, 2006
              On 8/1/06, todd fahrner <fahrner@...> wrote:

              > > What do you think, what would be your ideal if making a new X?
              >

              > I'm working on a more complete description in the form of a blog post
              > on this subject, but for now I'd recommend (not a complete list):
              >
              > - Surly Instigator frame with Surly 1x1 rigid fork, 170mm cranks,
              > Titec Hellbent layback seatpost, Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"
              >
              > - Surly Karate Monkey frame/fork with 26" disk wheels, 170mm cranks,
              > Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"

              I like Todd's suggestions. I like Surlys and I like steel. I've got my
              xtracycle hooked up to a Bridgestone MB-2 and it works ok, though I've
              been thinking lately I could do with out some of the flex.
              Pictures/info here: http://www.johndogfood.com/x

              I'm actually thinking of buying my first aluminum bike. I've been
              looking at the Novara Buzz (not the "Big Buzz.") as an xtracycle bike.

              It's got sensible gearing (lots of low -- with a pant protector
              instead of a large front chainring), disc brakes, rigid forks,
              sensible bars/riding position and good-enough components.

              Out of the box, I think that would be a hard bike to beat for the
              Xtracycle... i think it retails for about $600... they are not showing
              up on the REI site anymore, which typically means all bikes are in
              store and there are none left at the warehouse... good seller.

              John "no relation to REI, just seems like a good fit" Speare

              --
              John Speare
              Spokane, WA USA
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 14, 2006
                my Xtra convert is a 2000 Cdale F900, with Mavic Speedcitys (700c) with their MP3 program, Kenda Kwik 35c CX tyres, thudbuster seatpost, XT, and of course 203mm avid's.  Cdales have a super strong front susp fork.  its fast, and strong.  700c wheels fit in the MTB frame.
                I've had the bike for 6yrs now, i've rode it like a ton of miles, pulled a BOB all over the place, lived with it for 1.5yrs playin "Joe Techno-yuppie-hobbo" livin out of doors and workin 5 days in a row with 9 days off.  i've worn out 2 wheelsets, and gone thru a bunch of chains, cogsets, tyres, etc.
                its a combo that is hard to beat.
                peace..d

                John Speare <johnspeare@...> wrote:
                On 8/1/06, todd fahrner <fahrner@pobox. com> wrote:

                > > What do you think, what would be your ideal if making a new X?
                >

                > I'm working on a more complete description in the form of a blog post
                > on this subject, but for now I'd recommend (not a complete list):
                >
                > - Surly Instigator frame with Surly 1x1 rigid fork, 170mm cranks,
                > Titec Hellbent layback seatpost, Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"
                >
                > - Surly Karate Monkey frame/fork with 26" disk wheels, 170mm cranks,
                > Schwalbe Big Apple tires, 2.35"

                I like Todd's suggestions. I like Surlys and I like steel. I've got my
                xtracycle hooked up to a Bridgestone MB-2 and it works ok, though I've
                been thinking lately I could do with out some of the flex.
                Pictures/info here: http://www.johndogf ood.com/x

                I'm actually thinking of buying my first aluminum bike. I've been
                looking at the Novara Buzz (not the "Big Buzz.") as an xtracycle bike.

                It's got sensible gearing (lots of low -- with a pant protector
                instead of a large front chainring), disc brakes, rigid forks,
                sensible bars/riding position and good-enough components.

                Out of the box, I think that would be a hard bike to beat for the
                Xtracycle... i think it retails for about $600... they are not showing
                up on the REI site anymore, which typically means all bikes are in
                store and there are none left at the warehouse... good seller.

                John "no relation to REI, just seems like a good fit" Speare

                --
                John Speare
                Spokane, WA USA
                http://www.johndogf ood.com/john/ bikes.html

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • fahrner@pobox.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 14, 2006
                  > I actually already have the bobike mini seat on another bike, I just
                  > didn't recognise it. There is a big problem with this seat if you
                  > want to do an bomb proof xtracycle, it needs to be pretty high up a
                  > long handlebar stem, and won't fit around an aheadset spacer.

                  I successfully used the front seat on a tall stack of aheadset/threadless
                  spacer rings (don't cut the steer tube). Not sure if I had a special
                  mount, but I don't think so. It was clearly meant to clamp a quill stem,
                  but the soft clamp material deformed nicely around the spacers. I had it
                  on my custom longtail bike briefly before son outgrew seat.