Re: [rootsradicals] Digest Number 151

  • Gauk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2006
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "alexbknight" <Alexbknight@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > The angle change seems to give me "oversteer", i.e. the bike would
      > > tend to continue steering more sharply given the choice.

      You're in a different position on the Xtracycle, and it takes a bit of
      getting used to. Your weight is nearly 50/50 distributed between each
      wheel, putting much more weight on the front wheel and causing the
      "self-steer" effect. You'll get used to it, don't worry. A word of
      warning: This effect is dramatically increased by carrying heavy stuff
      forward of the rear axle. Take the corners carefully when you're
      loaded. I have had good luck using a seatpost suspension to keep me
      farther back and in the saddle to help improve the handling, and
      discourage me from popping out of the saddle. Extra low gearing helps
      when trying to stay in the saddle, also.

      > > I tried my wife and child (2 years) on the snap deck, and have to
      > > say I had a fair amount of "whip" in the ride at low speed. Is this
      > > the Xtracycle configuration or my back wheel being too weedy? With
      > > the baby in a frame mounted seat and no wife no problem. Same whip
      > > experienced today carrying my dry cleaning (20 kg) home tonight.

      It varies a lot with the passenger! It's nearly impossible to balance
      a drunk college boy on the back(tried - they like neon) but most
      people are alright as long as you get them to sit forward on the
      snapdeck and to stop trying to balance the bike themselves.
      I experienced some nasty speed wobble while flying down a hill at
      38mph(61kph) with 40kg on the back, mostly because about 15 kilos were
      behind the rear axle(and somewhat loose, too).