V-brake suggestions anyone?

  • Dave Lloyd
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4 8:27 PM
      Does anyone have suggestions for V brakes that will have enough
      clearance for 26x2.0 Big Apples and fenders? Looks like the Tektro
      Quartz brakes have 102mm arms, the Deore brakes have 107mm arms and
      Tektro makes another brake that has 110mm arms. No idea how long the
      arms on Avid's brakes are, though I do see that xtracycle sells the
      Avids.

      This would be for converting my '97 Hard Rock to an Xtra.

      Thanks!

      --
      --dlloyd
    • stoutag
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5 6:20 AM
        I've used avid sd-7's with tires and fenders that large, and they worked fine. There wasn't
        a lot of room, but certainly enough.

        Anthony

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Lloyd" <dave@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have suggestions for V brakes that will have enough
        > clearance for 26x2.0 Big Apples and fenders? Looks like the Tektro
        > Quartz brakes have 102mm arms, the Deore brakes have 107mm arms and
        > Tektro makes another brake that has 110mm arms. No idea how long the
        > arms on Avid's brakes are, though I do see that xtracycle sells the
        > Avids.
        >
        > This would be for converting my '97 Hard Rock to an Xtra.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > --
        > --dlloyd

      • Tim Lupfer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5 6:44 AM
          I'm currently using avid single digit ultimates with that setup and
          have plenty of clearance. I think anything longer than a mini-v will
          be fine. 2.35 big apples might be another story.

          On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Dave Lloyd <dave@...> wrote:
          > Does anyone have suggestions for V brakes that will have enough
          > clearance for 26x2.0 Big Apples and fenders? Looks like the Tektro
          > Quartz brakes have 102mm arms, the Deore brakes have 107mm arms and
          > Tektro makes another brake that has 110mm arms. No idea how long the
          > arms on Avid's brakes are, though I do see that xtracycle sells the
          > Avids.
          >
          > This would be for converting my '97 Hard Rock to an Xtra.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > --
          > --dlloyd

        • beth
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5 7:03 AM
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Lloyd" <dave@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have suggestions for V brakes that will have enough
            > clearance for 26x2.0 Big Apples and fenders?

            I used the Shimano Acera model V-brake and it seems to work fine with fenders and fatter
            tires. I'm using it with a Rollamajig so I wouldn't have to swap out my old brake levers (which
            still go to canti brake in front). The setup works great.
            Beth