Re: [rootsradicals] Ways to stay cool in summer, was Re: Gov. Manchin (WV) promotes bicycle commuting.

  • D.D.Jackson
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hey...

      I'm pretty sure I've actually seen something like that maybe at the Jazz Festival here or at one of the dance festivals.

      Have no idea how to search it out though. If I see one around, I'll let you know.

      David

      On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <cara.lin@...> wrote:
      What we really need is an ice-pack sun hat!

      (Big snip)

      CL

    • Mark Garvey
      Message 33 of 33 , Jun 4, 2008
        On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:48 AM, <Tone@...> wrote:
        Mark,

        In that list of portable musical instruments you forgot to mention Pan
        flutes.

        Ah, probably because I had not listen EVERYTHING possible, but I too have a set ot pan pipes...or a pan flute depending on how you wish to name it.  Mine is home made of PVC, but I ahve some Bamboo standing by the back door that I am thinking of turning into a better set.  and yes, I think improvisation is the way to play, no matter WHAT you do.

        I am  a funny sort of person who likes to be "busy" which means that I am not cpomfortable if i am not fiddling with something.  carving, whittling, playing something, whatever.  The music is soothing, reading a book is enjoyable too.  (I am one of the very few people you will ever find who has copies of several books on and about major religions within easy reach of his bed!  Copies of teh Bible, the Quran (Koran) the Tao, (Lao Tzu) and several others as well as explanatory texts of various kinds.  I have SHELVES of books on Philosophy!  I write constantly too and a notebook is seldom far from me.  One of my favorite past times is listening to books on tape (or CD) and I have listened to college lecture series from major colleges on a variety of subjects as well as anything else with words in a row!

        I am attempting to make my life more simple...or maybe less complex!  So I try to stop occasionally and simply BE.  I am working on a new Essay on "why people have such complicated lives!"  starting with the idea that primitive man built shelters to keep his "stuff" as much as to keep warm!
        (thank you George Carlin!)

        mark