Re: [rootsradicals] My bike broke! :(

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
      hey tone:

      go to
      &

      there has been talk, and i think a lead.

      I used a Cdale for a bit with my Xtra, i think mine was a 99' F800... it has a Fatty Head Shok, but the issue i had with it, was the chain rubbed on the seatstay in the last 3 or 4 cogs.

      what size Dummy are you looking for?

      peace...d

      On Jun 2, 2008, at 9:10 AM, Antonio wrote:

      Today on the way to work my bicycle had a catastrophic failure right
      through the frame tubing behind the headset. For a couple of seconds
      it felt like I had some major air leak going on in my tires then the
      frame just tore right through itself. I am perfectly fine except for a
      slight grease smudge on my white shirt, but my bike is irreparable.

      I would not at all consider the breakage a fault in the frame. It was
      a fat-tube aluminum frame, which I had for about ten years. I estimate
      I easily put over 30,000 miles on it with much of that working as a
      bike messenger in New York City (30+ miles a day, five days a week,
      low-ball-50 weeks in a year for even only five years = 37,500 miles).
      Considering I also had the Xtracycle attached to it for most of those
      years and I have hauled some SERIOUS cargo at times... it is a wonder
      it lasted this long. I know a number of my bike mechanics over the
      years will not be surprised, although they hardly believe I have
      actually ridden on the same aluminum frame for this long.

      In any case, this bike is the only one I have and I do not drive.
      Heck, I do not even have a driver's license, and just this past
      Saturday was in fact the FIRST time I ever stepped into a DMV. My
      passport is about to expire in August and I needed to get a
      non-driver's state ID as an official identification while my passport
      is sent away for renewal. Maybe stepping into a DMV jinxed my bicycle. :)

      My wife has a bike I can borrow VERY temporarily, but for long term
      usage it definitely is not for me. Ideally I would like to get Surly's
      Big Dummy, but unfortunately their first batch sold out pretty quick
      _as_far_as_I_ know_. My wife and I are trying to buy a house, so back
      when the Big Dummy was released I could not justify the $800 plus to
      build a secondary cargo bike. Sadly now, the next batch of Big
      Dummies is only available some time in the Fall _as_far_as_I_ know_.
      <Sigh>.

      Does anyone know differently in regards to the Big Dummy? Are there
      ANY available Big Dummies still floating around??? To be honest I am
      not even sure what frame size would be appropriate for me. My busted
      bike had a low top-tube geometry and it has been SO long since I had
      to worry about frame sizing. My pant-leg inseam is about 30-31" in
      length, but other than that I am clueless. Maybe I should have had
      myself at least sized up for a frame fitting at my bike shop in
      preparation for eventually getting the Big Dummy, but I never bothered
      since I thought I was not going to get a Big Dummy until at least the
      Fall. After going to the DMV I even stopped in at my bike shop to pick
      up one of those "Planet Bike" super-flash( ?) lights, which a number of
      people have given good reviews on this forum... and yes I agree; It is
      VERY bright! Do NOT look directly at it! :) heh

      Anyway, does anyone out there have any tips on where to score a Big
      Dummy. I would VERY much appreciate it! Also, if anyone can offer any
      suggestions on what Big Dummy frame size would be appropriate for me
      that would be great too!

      I still have my Xtracycle, so I could get a temporary used frame
      somewhere, but what kind of sucks is my FreeRadical has had a crack
      behind one of its dropouts for over a year now. Therefore I would be
      swapping over a busted Xtracycle onto a different bike frame. I have
      had a split pipe hose clamped over the cracked area to act as a brace
      of sorts and I am quite sure it will hold up fine, but obviously
      getting a brand new Big Dummy would be the ideal solution. <Sigh>

      Why can't things last forever? I guess the ride had to end sometime.
      Rest in Peace Boxer.

      For those wondering, Boxer is my bike's name. The name is from the
      symbolic proletariat Horse character in the book "Animal Farm", who
      works almost religiously until he dies just to have his remains sent
      to the glue factory. I suppose, if I get a replacement used bike frame
      and swap out the bike parts, that might as well be the same as sending
      my aluminum horse's body to the "glue factory."

      For those of you, who can still hop on their bikes and ride off into
      the sunset...
      Ride safe,
      _TONE_

    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
        I'd try to find a Surly Instigator... craigslist, ebay, or something
        cuz if you get a BD... the instigator will be easy to sell, as well as the FreeRadical
        plus of course the parts you put into the Instigator will transfer to a new BD

        or maybe a Surly LHT would suffice... completes i think are around $1K

        the Cdale i used, luckily, i could max out the PSI in the Head Shok and get it to work with the Xtra
        and i ended up placing the FreeRadical tongue under the chainstay bridge (not recommended in XtraCycle manual)

        but ultimately, it wiggled all crazy like...
        and of course the chain rubbed the seatstay in the last 3 or 4 cogs...

        and like a silly guy, i actually rode it like that, and cut a hole in the seatstay with the rubbing chain...
        cuz of course... there i am... riding the bike, and of course, i put effort into the pedals, and the chain just acts like a saw right into the seatstay...

        I'd be careful about the Cdale compatibility... thats my experience.

        peace...d

        On Jun 2, 2008, at 9:21 AM, Antonio wrote:

        I just got word from someone on a local mountain biking mailing list I
        am on after posting about my frame breakage. Apparently they have a
        used bike they can sell me for a reasonable price. According to that
        person's description it is Cannondale CAAD4 frame - size M - with a
        sloping top tube and stiff large tube aluminum.

        Does anyone among our RootsRadical group have any experience with this
        frame or know if it would be appropriate for an Xtracycle build?
        Obviously I would much rather track down a Big Dummy frame and buy
        that before doing another Xtracycle build with a functional, yet
        somewhat busted, FreeRadical frame.

        Thanks a bunch ahead of time fellow Xtracyclists. This crew has always
        been a great inspiration and resource.
        Ride safe,
        _TONE_

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hi Tone,

          I feel for your loss. When is the funeral? Do we send spokes?

          Email, heck phone!, the Surly people and tell them your history. Some
          of them have probably read your postings on this list. Maybe if you say
          pretty please they'll work something out for you--older model, put at
          the head of the new production list.

          If they can't come up with anything, then grab the first 10-dollar
          mountain bike you see at a yard sale, on ebay, at craigslist and make do
          until its your turn for a big dummy.

          For me, top tube length was more important than seat tube length. If
          the top tube is too long, I end up with too much pressure on my hands.

          Aluminum frames should be 100% recyclable. In fact, aluminum is one of
          those materials where it is more energy and cost effective to recycle it
          than to dig new out of the ground.

          CL
        • Tone@moon-shine.net
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
            Cara Lin,

            No need to send spokes... I have Aerospoke 5-spoke poly-carbon fiber
            mag wheels. :)
          • stoutag
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
              At least according to Xtracycles web site they still have 16" and 18"
              framesets in stock. Certainly worth a call over to them.

              Anthony

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <cara.lin@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Tone,
              >
              > I feel for your loss. When is the funeral? Do we send spokes?
              >
              > Email, heck phone!, the Surly people and tell them your history. Some
              > of them have probably read your postings on this list. Maybe if you
              say
              > pretty please they'll work something out for you--older model, put at
              > the head of the new production list.
              >
              > If they can't come up with anything, then grab the first 10-dollar
              > mountain bike you see at a yard sale, on ebay, at craigslist and
              make do
              > until its your turn for a big dummy.
              >
              > For me, top tube length was more important than seat tube length. If
              > the top tube is too long, I end up with too much pressure on my hands.
              >
              > Aluminum frames should be 100% recyclable. In fact, aluminum is one of
              > those materials where it is more energy and cost effective to
              recycle it
              > than to dig new out of the ground.
              >
              > CL

            • Dane Buson
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
                On Jun 2, Antonio tripped the electrons lexically so:

                > I suppose, if I get a replacement used bike frame and swap out the
                > bike parts, that might as well be the same as sending my aluminum
                > horse's body to the "glue factory."
                >
                > For those of you, who can still hop on their bikes and ride off into
                > the sunset...

                I feel your pain, I'm waiting for the warranty replacement frame for my
                Crosscheck. This is the second frame I've broken in the same place
                (right rear dropout). Thankfully, I have my Xtracycle (built on an old
                Schwinn MTB) and my Sunny Day bike (which was cobbled together out of
                pieces about 48 hours after the CrossChecks demise) to keep me on the
                road.

                Sunny Day bike: http://zuvembi.livejournal.com/37950.html

                --
                Dane Buson - Buson@...
                "We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in hte
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
                  > At least according to Xtracycles web site they still have 16" and 18"
                  > framesets in stock. Certainly worth a call over to them.

                  If Xtracycle can't help you out, I've seen a couple around at bike
                  shops in Minneapolis. Unfortunately, I can't recall which ones.

                  It was one or more of the Hub, Freewheel, and Hiawatha Cyclery

                  http://thehubbikecoop.org/
                  http://freewheelbike.com/
                  http://hiawathacyclery.com/cart/

                  - phaedrus
                • Phil Good-Elliott
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
                    Tone,

                    you and I share the same inseam. My Trek 4300 is an 18" frame and works
                    fine for me.

                    Beware: prices on bikes are taking a 10 - 15% hike with increased
                    demand.

                    Best wishes for a solution that fits well and functions better!

                    -Phil
                  • tda0818
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
                      I don't know any Big Dummy sources, Tone, but I've got a 16" Giant
                      Iguana which would probably take a FreeRad just peachy; it's a CrMo
                      frame, and no shocks. The frame and wheels are in great shape, but
                      the other components need replacing (which is why I don't ride it
                      anymore -- that and it's too small for me, now). It's just collecting
                      dust in the garage.

                      You're welcome to borrow it until you can get a BD, if you can't get
                      one right away.

                      -- urbino

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Antonio" <Tone@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > swapping over a busted Xtracycle onto a different bike frame. I have
                      > had a split pipe hose clamped over the cracked area to act as a brace
                      > of sorts and I am quite sure it will hold up fine, but obviously
                      > getting a brand new Big Dummy would be the ideal solution. <Sigh>
                      >
                      > Why can't things last forever? I guess the ride had to end sometime.
                      > Rest in Peace Boxer.
                      >
                      > For those wondering, Boxer is my bike's name. The name is from the
                      > symbolic proletariat Horse character in the book "Animal Farm", who
                      > works almost religiously until he dies just to have his remains sent
                      > to the glue factory. I suppose, if I get a replacement used bike frame
                      > and swap out the bike parts, that might as well be the same as sending
                      > my aluminum horse's body to the "glue factory."
                      >
                      > For those of you, who can still hop on their bikes and ride off into

                    • Roger Munk
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
                        Clever Cycles had 2 18" frames left last week when I ordered mine. :)
                        They say on their website that they reserve the right to sell only as
                        part of a complete build though, so you may want to call them and find
                        out.

                        Good luck!

                        -Rog.
                      • Tone@moon-shine.net
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
                          Good news fellow Xtracyclists!

                          I just bought a Big Dummy! I called our friendly folks at Xtracycle
                          and they still had ONE 16" Big Dummy left. After much discussion with
                          them and debate with myself I decided to buy it. The 16" size might
                          be JUST a bit small for me, but my current frame is 17" (measured
                          according to how Surly defines their "seatpost" based frame sizes.)

                          The other various measurements of the different Big Dummy sizes were a
                          bit harder to determine on my bike when comparing my Univega 750 FS.
                          My bike has a rather odd geometry with the fat down-tube being the one
                          to join into the head-tube, then the horizontal/level top tube
                          connects only to the downtube a few inches away from the head tube. Of
                          course having a broken frame did not help any when trying to take
                          those other measurements to compare them to Surly's Big Dummy blog
                          specification page.

                          Either way, Nate at Xtracycle was fairly confident the 16" would fit
                          me good enough, and I would not mind a smaller bike if it meant the
                          next size up was right at the fringe of being too big for me. As it is
                          Nate is 6' tall and feels an 18" frame is just right for him and I am
                          5' 7.5". I think it should be fine. It better be at a price tag of
                          $1005 with S/H included. Apart from hoping the sizing will be suitable
                          I also hope it gets to my local bike shop in time for them to set it
                          all up by the weekend of the 14th. I have a 63 mile (100k) charity
                          ride my company is sponsoring me to do. Having a fresh new Big Dummy
                          for that would be totally sweet!

                          Anyway, if any of you out there have any suggestions, advice,
                          encouragement, criticism, or comments about whether I made the right
                          choice in Big Dummy sizing I would like to hear it. I am SO excited
                          either way!

                          Ride safe everyone!
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008

                            Urbino,

                                        Thanks for writing back with an offer to lend me your 16” Giant bike, but apart from me already ordering a Big Dummy… I do not think you are close enough for me to just stop by and borrow your ride. J I am in York, PA. I thought you were somewhere on the West Coast. Either way it is cool to know people on this list are so supportive of each other!

                            Everyone else,

                                        By the way folks, while on the phone ordering my Big Dummy I had a nice long conversation with Nate. One of the things we spoke about was the snap deck. Apparently Xtracycle will be selling a new synthetic snap deck within the next few months. The topic came up when he asked if there was anything else I wanted to buy. I told him my snap deck was looking pretty sad since it was the original one, but I did not want to buy one because I have been thinking of making one myself out of plastic kitchen cutting board material. That is when Nate told me their upcoming snap decks will be made of practically the same exact material, but be in a different color (or colors?.. I know he said black). Unfortunately I could not order one on the spot since he had no release date yet, but it is cool to know Xtracycle is continuing their innovational improvements. J Nate also told me the newer FreeRadical model will have beefier frame tubing behind the dropouts to better avoid the dreaded cracks that sometime develop there from putting too much weight behind the rear axle. As it is my current Xtracycle is the third one I have because of that problem and it too started developing a crack behind the rear left drop out. L Hence the great desire to upgrade to a Big Dummy.

                            Ride safe all,

                            _TONE_

                          • tda0818
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008
                              I'm in Memphis, so, yeah, too far to just swing by, but I woulda
                              shipped it to you. I hate to see a bike person go bikeless,
                              especially when I have one just sitting around. I've only been riding
                              6-7 months, and already I'd be *extremely* unhappy if I had to go
                              completely without for even a few days.

                              I hope the X-dogs come up with a color other than black for the new
                              SnapDeck. That thing'd get hot enough to burn flesh around here.

                              -- urbino

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 2, 2008

                                            I seem to recall someone on this list about a month or two ago asking to buy broken Xtracycles for some experimentation project they were working on? Is that person still looking to buy a busted Xtracycle? Now that my bike has totally broken, I have gone ahead and ordered the last Big Dummy Xtracycle has. Once I get the Big Dummy and swap over all the components from my busted bike that will leave me with a busted bike and a somewhat busted FreeRadical frame. I say somewhat because for over a year now it has had a crack halfway through the tubing directly behind the left dropout. It has not gotten any worse because I braced it very securely by sandwiching a split metal pipe around the tubing with a number of hose clamps. I ride my bike every day to go to work (5.5 miles each way), and obviously the brace has worked fine ever since I applied it.

                                _TONE_

                              • Victor Khong
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 3, 2008
                                  Small frames like 16" work well with the FreeRadical.  Makes for a very solid feeling setup.

                                • Victor Khong
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 3, 2008
                                    Congrats!   The BD is the peach!   Even if the 16" is just a tiny bit small, its no bad thing if you will be carrying passengers and cargo.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 3, 2008
                                      If you don't find that person, you could probably get it welded and
                                      reinforced. Wouldn't be pretty, but it still ought to be worth twice
                                      the cost of welding, and would be of good use to someone. "Owned by
                                      former NY bike messenger Tone, 30,000 miles, took a licking, still
                                      ticking," that might sell it :-). Or send it to the Cooper-Hewitt, as-
                                      is.

                                      On 2008-06-03, at 12:50 AM, Tone wrote:

                                      > I seem to recall someone on this list about a month or
                                      > two ago asking to buy broken Xtracycles for some experimentation
                                      > project they were working on?
                                    • Mark Garvey
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 3, 2008
                                        On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Antonio <Tone@...> wrote:
                                        Today on the way to work my bicycle had a catastrophic failure right
                                        through the frame tubing behind the headset.

                                        DUDE!!!  Oh man!  TONE!  How awful!  sorry to hear that!   I am not going to rub it in or anything, because the C-dale did Yeoman's service (wasn't the Yeoman ALWAYS the one who got killed  first on Star Trek every episode??)

                                        But remember....STEEL is real!  It will slowly bend and break, giving you some warning while Aluminumiunm will not show anything then simply FAIL!  Also, if it were a STEEL frame, it could be repaired.  A sleeve and a braze would do it...not perminent, but you could get by for a while untnil you could get another frame at least!  wish I were closer!  I have a couple of frames that would work at least.  Not GREAT  but if you were close by, I would simply GIVE you one!

                                        Sorry to hear about your loss!

                                        Best of luck to you sir!

                                        mark
                                      • Cathode Ray
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 6, 2008
                                          At 4:10 PM +0000 2/6/08, Antonio wrote:
                                          >catastrophic failure right
                                          >through the frame tubing behind the headset......
                                          >I would not at all consider the breakage a fault in the frame. It was
                                          >a fat-tube aluminum frame,

                                          My aluminium frame cracked through the downtube, starting at the weld
                                          right behind the headset. I really punished my Xtracycle , lots of
                                          jumping up and down kerbs and frequently overloaded. The frame itself
                                          is about six years old, and I had the Xtracycle fitted for about two
                                          years.

                                          Close up of the failure:
                                          http://www.retrovox.com.au/hpv/images/framecrack.jpg

                                          Yet I think that what caused the stress leading to the crack was that
                                          I was using only the front brake to stop the bike! After ruining many
                                          rims I bought the biggest rim I could find: Sun Ringle Double Wide,
                                          46mm wide, disk brake only rim. However I didn't upgrade to disk
                                          brakes.

                                          After my frame cracked I fitted the Xtracycle to my wife's Townie.
                                          Still concerned about long-term use with aluminium frame. I am using
                                          the standard Townie rims, which are holding up pretty well. My riding
                                          style is now a little more relaxed as well. I really love the crank
                                          forward geometry with the upright posture.

                                          What I really want is an Electra RAT FINK with the Xtracycle
                                          attached. There are both alloy and steel version of the rat fink
                                          available, and I want the steel for strength. Even though the rear
                                          wheel of the rat fink is 24", the dimensions of the frame fit the
                                          freeradical.

                                          Here is the Electra PINK FINK with Xtracycle and bike blender:
                                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/juicepeddler/285816804/

                                          Also check out this DIY longtail cargo bike:
                                          http://flickr.com/photos/kstoerz/440268085/
                                        • Mark Garvey
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 6, 2008
                                            On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

                                            My aluminium frame cracked through the downtube, starting at the weld
                                            right behind the headset.

                                            Believe it or not, My only degree.. is in welding and welding inspection, including NDT testing..  x ray, ultrasound, Magnaflux  that sort of thing...Also destructive testing...but that is another story...you HAVE managed to do this!(OK, I have 160+ college credit hours, not counting my welding technical credits....but I have no degree.  since this, I have added audit courses in History and environmental sciences totaling another 20-30 hours if I remember correctly....but nothing COUNTS you understand!   Of course, since there is no "real" degree on a diploma, I am officially "uneducated" and hence "stupid. My HOBBY, or one of them anyway,  is taking college courses or getting tapes of lectures from friends because I am INTERESTED in them...but I digress!)

                                            ANYWAY, what you have here is a classic case of the crack propagating from an undercut in the weld bead.  Take a look at the weld where the break started and it starts RIGHT on the edge of the  weld where the  bead ends and the tube  begins.  there is probably some sort of inclusion or void in the weld bead right there. If you look at it microscopically you will likely see a tiny spot where there is a bubble, or a chunk of something RIGHT where it started.

                                            The problem, AS I SEE IT (!!!) is that Aluminum does not "give" much. It is amazingly strong for it's weight, but it is soft unless tempered or heat treated...properly.  An expensive and time consuming process.

                                            Anyway, this is one reason that I prefer steel.  Just a PREFERENCE on my part and no bad on Alum frames!  catastrophic failure SUCKS!!

                                            Hope you can find a cool frame for yourself!

                                            mark
                                          • David Bole
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 9, 2008
                                              Hi Tone,

                                              Our shop has one 16" big dummy left. A couple guys at our shop
                                              upgraded to the big D this year and have been very happy...

                                              Dave
                                              Bicycle Chain
                                              St Paul, Mn
                                              bicyclechain at gmail.com

                                            • Tone@moon-shine.net
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 10, 2008
                                                Dave,

                                                Thanks for giving me the info for the 16" Big Dummy at your shop.
                                                However, I actually ordered the last Big Dummy Xtracycle had in stock
                                                (16"). It is actually suppose to arrive at my local bike shop today!

                                                Yesterday after work when my bike shop is closed (every Monday) I
                                                brought my broken bike over to them. I locked my bike up to a pipe
                                                outside their shop and hid the key to the lock nearby. My hope is the
                                                Big Dummy will arrive sooner than later today. Then I can just give
                                                them a call while I am at work to let them know where the key is so
                                                they can start swapping over parts right away.

                                                I know it is rather a rather unconventional method of dropping off a
                                                bike, but Big Dummies are not exactly conventional. :) Also, there is
                                                a 63 mile charity ride this coming Saturday, which I am already
                                                registered to ride in through the company I work at. I am really
                                                hoping to be able to sport the Big Dummy on that ride. The Big Dummy
                                                will be my only bike. I have been riding my wife's
                                                built-up-from-scraps (Frankenstein) bike to work since my original
                                                bike broke, but it is just not the same. :(

                                                Oh, and if I do manage to get my new Big Dummy up and running in time
                                                for the charity ride this weekend, I have confirmed an Ace hardware
                                                store on my route to/from the event has one of those Xtracycle-sized
                                                Rubbermaid Slim Coolers for only $15.99. It would be funny to show up
                                                for the 63 mile ride on the Big Dummy with a cooler full of ice cold
                                                beverages to drink on the tour along side spandex wearing roadies
                                                barely carrying anything. :)
                                                _TONE_
                                              • Matt Gitchell

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 10, 2008
                                                    Tone,

                                                    I am sure you are going to love it. One guy at our shop kept his old
                                                    Xtracycle as a spare to the big dummy. Can you really have too many
                                                    xtracycles? After riding the big d for a couple weeks he liked it so
                                                    much better he ended up selling his old X.

                                                    Dave
                                                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Tone@... wrote:

                                                    > Dave,
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks for giving me the info for the 16" Big Dummy at your shop.
                                                    > However, I actually ordered the last Big Dummy Xtracycle had in
                                                    stock
                                                    > (16"). It is actually suppose to arrive at my local bike shop today!
                                                    >
                                                    > Yesterday after work when my bike shop is closed (every Monday) I
                                                    > brought my broken bike over to them. I locked my bike up to a pipe
                                                    > outside their shop and hid the key to the lock nearby. My hope is
                                                    the
                                                    > Big Dummy will arrive sooner than later today. Then I can just
                                                    give
                                                    > them a call while I am at work to let them know where the key is
                                                    so
                                                    > they can start swapping over parts right away.
                                                    >
                                                    > I know it is rather a rather unconventional method of dropping off
                                                    > bike, but Big Dummies are not exactly conventional. :) Also, there
                                                    is
                                                    > a 63 mile charity ride this coming Saturday, which I am already
                                                    > registered to ride in through the company I work at. I am really
                                                    > hoping to be able to sport the Big Dummy on that ride. The Big
                                                    Dummy
                                                    > will be my only bike. I have been riding my wife's
                                                    > built-up-from-scraps (Frankenstein) bike to work since my original
                                                    > bike broke, but it is just not the same. :(
                                                    >
                                                    > Oh, and if I do manage to get my new Big Dummy up and running in
                                                    time
                                                    > for the charity ride this weekend, I have confirmed an Ace
                                                    hardware
                                                    > store on my route to/from the event has one of those Xtracycle-
                                                    sized
                                                    > Rubbermaid Slim Coolers for only $15.99. It would be funny to show
                                                    up
                                                    > for the 63 mile ride on the Big Dummy with a cooler full of ice
                                                    cold
                                                    > beverages to drink on the tour along side spandex wearing roadies
                                                    > barely carrying anything. :)
                                                    > _TONE_

                                                  • tismarcusone
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 11, 2008
                                                      Tone, Does this Xtracyle have a lifetime warranty on the fram agains
                                                      breakage call them and have them replace the X...then get your bike
                                                      suggestion.

                                                    • Tone@moon-shine.net
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 11, 2008
                                                        tismarcusone
                                                      • Tone@moon-shine.net
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 11, 2008
                                                          tismarcusone,

                                                          Xtracycles do come with a warranty. However, legally the manner in
                                                          which I used my Xtracycle voids it. I was working as a bike messenger
                                                          in New York City for a number of years with the FreeRadical extension
                                                          equipped. Technically speaking working with an Xtracycle is considered
                                                          a commercial or industrial usage and thus not covered by the warranty.

                                                          In reality though, most of the bigger loads I carried, like lumber and
                                                          CostCo bulk-grocery shopping, were for personal reasons not at all
                                                          associated with work. In actuality though it did not matter anyway.
                                                          The guys at Xtracycle are terrific.

                                                          I was one of the first Xtracyclists in New York, and definitely the
                                                          only bike messenger on an Xtracycle for many years. While working all
                                                          day I never hesitated to discuss and explain what the Xtracycle was. I
                                                          know for certain at least 2 or three cyclists, who bought an Xtracycle
                                                          after they met me, and I figure there were probably about half a dozen
                                                          more, who may have bought one after seeing my set-up.

                                                          In any case, after I broke my first FreeRadical frame (it always
                                                          cracked behind the rear drop outs) and e-mailed them photos the guys
                                                          at Xtracycle sent me a replacement even without me first sending them
                                                          my busted FreeRadical. They shipped me a replacement for free and I
                                                          paid to ship back my broken FreeRadical in the box the new one came
                                                          in. If that was not enough I had mentioned my kickstand also had
                                                          broken a couple of months before and sure enough they slipped a new
                                                          one in the box at no charge as well.

                                                          Eventually my second Xtracycle cracked too and when I e-mailed them to
                                                          let them know I corresponded with Laughter. She actually joked with me
                                                          in one of her messages saying something like, "Sure! We'll replace all
                                                          the Xtracycles you can go through? Should we send you an extra frame
                                                          as well to avoid another broken one later on?" Of course she signed
                                                          that e-mail with her name "Laughter", so for a week or two even
                                                          through other messages I thought she was joking with me in a very
                                                          sarcastic way. Eventually it all got cleared up and once again
                                                          Xtracycle sent me a replacement. This time around though, instead of a
                                                          new kickstand (the new one had not broken again) they sent me
                                                          replacement Freeloader bags since I had told them mine were looking
                                                          kind of ratty and they did not want me mis-representing their good
                                                          name and design. As before I sent them the cracked FreeRadical along
                                                          with the ratty Freeloaders in the box they sent me the replacements in.

                                                          The coolness of the Xtracycle folks does not end there though. A month
                                                          of two after getting the THIRD FreeRadical my second kickstand did
                                                          actually break. As usual I informed Xtracycle... not to get a
                                                          replacement, but simply to let them know of the possible defect in the
                                                          kickstands they were using. Well this time they did not send me a
                                                          replacement kickstand. Instead another month or two later while doing
                                                          my messenger job I get a random call on my cell phone from a strange
                                                          phone number. I did not answer it, but I eventually did listen to the
                                                          message. the call was actually from Kipchoge, who at that very moment
                                                          was down in Washington Square Park eating lunch and he wanted to hang
                                                          out for a bit if I could. I ran it by my dispatcher and work was slow,
                                                          so I was able to ride down there to meet up with Kipchoge. Sure enough
                                                          when I met up with him even though he and a friend both had Xtracycles
                                                          as a joke he tells me he is tired of carrying around three new
                                                          kickstands and was wondering if I could take them off his hand. It was
                                                          his amusing way of hooking me up with yet some more freebie
                                                          replacements.

                                                          The way I figure it is I must have really helped promote and sell
                                                          Xtracycles while working as a messenger in New York City. That at
                                                          least would justify how awesomely nice Kipchoge, Laughter, and
                                                          everyone else at Xtracycle is.

                                                          In any case, when my THIRD Xtracycle developed a crack I once again
                                                          informed the Xtracycle folks, but this time I refused them sending me
                                                          yet another replacement. By this time the first announced release date
                                                          of Surly's Big Dummy was suppose to happen within three months, so I
                                                          wanted to just upgrade to a Big Dummy then. For that time being
                                                          though, I braced the area developing a crack with a split pipe and
                                                          four hose clamps. Little did I know it would be another year or so
                                                          until the real Big Dummy Release date actually occurred. I just kept
                                                          riding my braced Xtracycle rig though.

                                                          So... that is where I am now. My 10 year old bicycle frame finally
                                                          broke and I did not intend to hook up a cracked FreeRadical onto
                                                          another bicycle. Instead I called Xtracycle and managed to order the
                                                          LAST Big Dummy they had. Of course they could not let me just slip by
                                                          with just a Big Dummy order. Nate asked if I needed anything else and
                                                          when I told him I still had the original Snap Deck, which was looking
                                                          REALLY beat up, he threw in a free replacement yet again along with
                                                          some little Velcro straps for various Long-Hauler/Wide-Loader
                                                          connections I had either worn down or lost. Oh yeah, when I also asked
                                                          to purchase a new long-length disc-brake cable he apparently included
                                                          that without charging me either.

                                                          So tismarcusone... there is no way in good conscience I could ever
                                                          expect or even ask the dope people at Xtracycle to replace my cracked
                                                          FreeRadical. In my mind they have gone above and beyond what I would
                                                          ever had expected them to do. If anything I will probably ship back my
                                                          broke FreeRadical and send them some freebie stuff of my own! :)

                                                          By the way, after developing a crack in my third FreeRadical and not
                                                          asking or getting a replacement, they actually told me the only people
                                                          who ever cracked their Xtracycles like I had were themselves during
                                                          testing, etc. and the dudes from that Riding the Spine group. The
                                                          "Riding the Spine" guys are hardcore cyclists, who ride long-tail
                                                          bikes from the Southern tip of South America all the way up to Alaska.
                                                          If you are unfamiliar with geography, that is practically ALL
                                                          mountainous, hence the "spine" reference.