Re: [rootsradicals] Weight Capacity of Bike + FreeRad

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
      On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Michael <bsinbox99@...> wrote:

      I weigh 260 pounds and cycle daily.  I just installed the FreeRadical
      last night and recalled the 350 pound total (passenger plus cargo)
      limit with the FreeRad installed.

      I weigh 17.8 stone at the moment.  (1 stone =14 lbs...you figure it out!)  anyway, the limit of my freerad is mostly what will fit.  Today I taxed it!  Made a grocery run, argued with SWMBO on the phone about different items and then carried them home.  For only the SECOND time, I strapped something to the snapdeck.

      Don't know the weight, but the bill was $111.  OK, not like it USED to be but still!... I took a photo and it is posted in the section called Lazybee's X.

      By the way, I did a gig this morning about 6 miles from home.  used the bike to haul my balloon pump, and supplies for the gig.  used the motor to hoist my fat ass over the hills both ways.  then made the grocery run after about 30-40 min of at home time and the bike on the charger.

      I popped the charger into the pocket of the Free Rad and when I arrived at the store, I plugged into the outlet THERE as I was shopping. heh!  Very cool!

      By the way, I was working at a Car show tooday.  So there I was, standing with my X and my balloon pump in the shade! ('twas 80 degrees today!)  among a fine collection of old chevy iron.  Making Balloon swords, and monkeys in a tree and snakes and flowers and such.  I answered several questions about the X and could not talk to many of the people who stopped to look it over.  I mean really!  I was swamped!  When I start to twist balloons, kids come out of the woodwork! (hey, if you pay me, I will come!)  I worked a SOLID 3 hours making balloons, then finally escaped about 2:30 after doing a few last ones for some last minute kids!

      Comments were invariably positive and very friendly!  Car nuts are a rather interesting group.  THEY understand an obsession like this and the work and thought that goes into it!  It isn't the entheusiasts that are a problem, but I had a blast, and it is fun to listen to 60's rock and roll and ask the group of kids, "Who is THIS singing!"  Parents are all waving arms and going  "oooo ooooooo!"  Kids are... "whaaaaa?"

      HAH!  fun!

      mark
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
        Thanks for all the great responses! Love this group!

        Several of you spoke of wheels and tires relating to carrying
        capacity. I currently have a stock Specialized Hemisphere, 700x38c,
        60TPI, wire bead, Flak Jacket tire on my rear wheel with standard
        spoke count. My LBS did re-spoke (forgive my newbie terminology) my
        wheel with stronger spokes. Here are the specs for my bike - I still
        have all stock parts ('cept for the spokes on the rear wheel):
        http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32296 (click on
        Technical Specifications after choosing your country).

        Does this sound sufficient for regularly carrying between 300 and 400
        pounds on the X (combined rider and cargo/passenger weight)? If not,
        I would love some suggestions!

        Thanks again!

        Michael in Boise

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

        > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Michael <bsinbox99@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I weigh 260 pounds and cycle daily. I just installed the FreeRadical
        > > last night and recalled the 350 pound total (passenger plus cargo)
        > > limit with the FreeRad installed.
        >

        > I weigh 17.8 stone at the moment. (1 stone =14 lbs...you figure it
        out!)
        > anyway, the limit of my freerad is mostly what will fit. Today I
        taxed it!
        > Made a grocery run, argued with SWMBO on the phone about different
        items and
        > then carried them home. For only the SECOND time, I strapped
        something to
        > the snapdeck.
        >
        > Don't know the weight, but the bill was $111. OK, not like it USED
        to be
        > but still!... I took a photo and it is posted in the section called
        > Lazybee's X.
        >
        > By the way, I did a gig this morning about 6 miles from home. used
        the bike
        > to haul my balloon pump, and supplies for the gig. used the motor
        to hoist
        > my fat ass over the hills both ways. then made the grocery run
        after about
        > 30-40 min of at home time and the bike on the charger.
        >
        > I popped the charger into the pocket of the Free Rad and when I
        arrived at
        > the store, I plugged into the outlet THERE as I was shopping. heh! Very
        > cool!
        >
        > By the way, I was working at a Car show tooday. So there I was,
        standing
        > with my X and my balloon pump in the shade! ('twas 80 degrees
        today!) among
        > a fine collection of old chevy iron. Making Balloon swords, and
        monkeys in
        > a tree and snakes and flowers and such. I answered several
        questions about
        > the X and could not talk to many of the people who stopped to look
        it over.
        > I mean really! I was swamped! When I start to twist balloons, kids
        come
        > out of the woodwork! (hey, if you pay me, I will come!) I worked a
        SOLID 3
        > hours making balloons, then finally escaped about 2:30 after doing a few
        > last ones for some last minute kids!
        >
        > Comments were invariably positive and very friendly! Car nuts are a
        rather
        > interesting group. THEY understand an obsession like this and the
        work and
        > thought that goes into it! It isn't the entheusiasts that are a
        problem,
        > but I had a blast, and it is fun to listen to 60's rock and roll and
        ask the
        > group of kids, "Who is THIS singing!" Parents are all waving arms and
        > going "oooo ooooooo!" Kids are... "whaaaaa?"
        >
        > HAH! fun!
        >
        > mark

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
          On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Michael <bsinbox99@...> wrote:
          Thanks for all the great responses!  Love this group!

          Several of you spoke of wheels and tires relating to carrying
          capacity.
          Does this sound sufficient for regularly carrying between 300 and 400
          pounds on the X (combined rider and cargo/passenger weight)?  If not,
          I would love some suggestions!

          Look, Mike...I weigh about 250 or so at the moment.  My BIKE probably weighs about 70 lbs with the battery pack and all.  That is about 320 right there.  On Monday AM, I take a long skinny cooler with juice and such inside (call that 30 lbs) a backpack with my clothing, drugs...(well, medications for various ailments...damn!)  call that another 15 lbs.  usually another bag of food...another 10 lbs or so, a jug of tea (a couple of pounds) and some other things, call that another 15 lbs...That adds up to 390 just there!  I can easily carry at least 80-100 lbs of cargo home from the store and often more if necessary.  I have broken a total of TWO spokes on the rear and none on ANY of the various front wheels I have tried.  At the moment, I am riding on a rear wheel that came off a Pacific mountain bike that I got for $100 at Target about 5 or 6 years ago.  I NEED a new rear wheel, but this one is pretty true still.  the NEED is mostly just "Boy I sure want a better wheel!" not a "need".

          the Front wheel is new ONLY because a friend laced up a Disc Brake for me with a Rim he had and it is working for me right now!  I have used light weight 32 spoke wheels on the bike without the motor on it, which drops the weight by about 30 lbs but the usefulness by about 50%

          Note that I have never had any real difficulty with the rear wheel!  If your wheel is straight and true, and tight, you should be OK.  If you want a bulletproof wheel, go for it.  But I would say that it is entirely likely that EVERYBODY out there is riding on a "better" rear wheel than I am.

          Just ride the damned thing until it looks like a Taco then get a new one that is stronger.  But remember, ANY wheel will Taco if you abuse it!

          mark
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
            Haha! Thanks for your candid response!

            I think I will relax and "just ride the damned thing until it looks
            like a Taco".