Re: [rootsradicals] Weight Capacity of Bike + FreeRad

  • Cathode Ray
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2008
      At 3:31 AM +0000 1/6/08, Michael wrote:
      >What has been the cargo-carrying experience of other
      >similarly-weighted X owners?

      I take anybody who is game enough to get on the back. So mostly kids
      and drunks. People over 100 Kg regularly. I weight 70 Kg bare. The
      velcro freeloader pockets has lots of tools and bits'n'pieces, so
      there is some additional weight all the time. I don't worry about the
      weight limit. Anything that I have managed to get into the
      freeloaders or onto the deck has been successfully transported. This
      includes salvage from demolition ! Check out some of the pictures on
      the xtracycle website, amazing loads! As long as you strap everything
      down, it all rolls.

      Adult passengers must sit as forward as possible, so that they are in
      front of the axle.

      The townie makes a huge difference. The geometry of the Townie frame
      enables the passenger to put their feet more forward on the footpegs.
      I previously had the xtracycle on a 700C hybrid. The shorter distance
      between the rider's pedals and the xtracycle passenger footpegs
      caused our feet to sometimes collide.

      Get some good tires. I like Schwalbe Marathon 2". I tried Big Apple
      2.35". You can't run them at highest pressure on normal rims, so I'd
      like to try Big Apple 2", but I'll wait until I need a new tire. On
      the front I run a skinnier tire.

      ray
    • Silivrenion
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
        If your bike has the wheels for it, you can go above a little. My max weight has been 500lbs total, including me, the passenger and cargo, and the weight of the bike. Trying to go uphill, I snapped my chain.

        --
        Steve Morley
        http://silivrenion.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
          On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Michael <bsinbox99@...> wrote:

          I weigh 260 pounds and cycle daily.  I just installed the FreeRadical
          last night and recalled the 350 pound total (passenger plus cargo)
          limit with the FreeRad installed.

          I weigh 17.8 stone at the moment.  (1 stone =14 lbs...you figure it out!)  anyway, the limit of my freerad is mostly what will fit.  Today I taxed it!  Made a grocery run, argued with SWMBO on the phone about different items and then carried them home.  For only the SECOND time, I strapped something to the snapdeck.

          Don't know the weight, but the bill was $111.  OK, not like it USED to be but still!... I took a photo and it is posted in the section called Lazybee's X.

          By the way, I did a gig this morning about 6 miles from home.  used the bike to haul my balloon pump, and supplies for the gig.  used the motor to hoist my fat ass over the hills both ways.  then made the grocery run after about 30-40 min of at home time and the bike on the charger.

          I popped the charger into the pocket of the Free Rad and when I arrived at the store, I plugged into the outlet THERE as I was shopping. heh!  Very cool!

          By the way, I was working at a Car show tooday.  So there I was, standing with my X and my balloon pump in the shade! ('twas 80 degrees today!)  among a fine collection of old chevy iron.  Making Balloon swords, and monkeys in a tree and snakes and flowers and such.  I answered several questions about the X and could not talk to many of the people who stopped to look it over.  I mean really!  I was swamped!  When I start to twist balloons, kids come out of the woodwork! (hey, if you pay me, I will come!)  I worked a SOLID 3 hours making balloons, then finally escaped about 2:30 after doing a few last ones for some last minute kids!

          Comments were invariably positive and very friendly!  Car nuts are a rather interesting group.  THEY understand an obsession like this and the work and thought that goes into it!  It isn't the entheusiasts that are a problem, but I had a blast, and it is fun to listen to 60's rock and roll and ask the group of kids, "Who is THIS singing!"  Parents are all waving arms and going  "oooo ooooooo!"  Kids are... "whaaaaa?"

          HAH!  fun!

          mark
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
            Thanks for all the great responses! Love this group!

            Several of you spoke of wheels and tires relating to carrying
            capacity. I currently have a stock Specialized Hemisphere, 700x38c,
            60TPI, wire bead, Flak Jacket tire on my rear wheel with standard
            spoke count. My LBS did re-spoke (forgive my newbie terminology) my
            wheel with stronger spokes. Here are the specs for my bike - I still
            have all stock parts ('cept for the spokes on the rear wheel):
            http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32296 (click on
            Technical Specifications after choosing your country).

            Does this sound sufficient for regularly carrying between 300 and 400
            pounds on the X (combined rider and cargo/passenger weight)? If not,
            I would love some suggestions!

            Thanks again!

            Michael in Boise

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

            > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Michael <bsinbox99@...> wrote:
            >

            > > I weigh 260 pounds and cycle daily. I just installed the FreeRadical
            > > last night and recalled the 350 pound total (passenger plus cargo)
            > > limit with the FreeRad installed.
            >

            > I weigh 17.8 stone at the moment. (1 stone =14 lbs...you figure it
            out!)
            > anyway, the limit of my freerad is mostly what will fit. Today I
            taxed it!
            > Made a grocery run, argued with SWMBO on the phone about different
            items and
            > then carried them home. For only the SECOND time, I strapped
            something to
            > the snapdeck.
            >
            > Don't know the weight, but the bill was $111. OK, not like it USED
            to be
            > but still!... I took a photo and it is posted in the section called
            > Lazybee's X.
            >
            > By the way, I did a gig this morning about 6 miles from home. used
            the bike
            > to haul my balloon pump, and supplies for the gig. used the motor
            to hoist
            > my fat ass over the hills both ways. then made the grocery run
            after about
            > 30-40 min of at home time and the bike on the charger.
            >
            > I popped the charger into the pocket of the Free Rad and when I
            arrived at
            > the store, I plugged into the outlet THERE as I was shopping. heh! Very
            > cool!
            >
            > By the way, I was working at a Car show tooday. So there I was,
            standing
            > with my X and my balloon pump in the shade! ('twas 80 degrees
            today!) among
            > a fine collection of old chevy iron. Making Balloon swords, and
            monkeys in
            > a tree and snakes and flowers and such. I answered several
            questions about
            > the X and could not talk to many of the people who stopped to look
            it over.
            > I mean really! I was swamped! When I start to twist balloons, kids
            come
            > out of the woodwork! (hey, if you pay me, I will come!) I worked a
            SOLID 3
            > hours making balloons, then finally escaped about 2:30 after doing a few
            > last ones for some last minute kids!
            >
            > Comments were invariably positive and very friendly! Car nuts are a
            rather
            > interesting group. THEY understand an obsession like this and the
            work and
            > thought that goes into it! It isn't the entheusiasts that are a
            problem,
            > but I had a blast, and it is fun to listen to 60's rock and roll and
            ask the
            > group of kids, "Who is THIS singing!" Parents are all waving arms and
            > going "oooo ooooooo!" Kids are... "whaaaaa?"
            >
            > HAH! fun!
            >
            > mark

          • Mark Garvey
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
              On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Michael <bsinbox99@...> wrote:
              Thanks for all the great responses!  Love this group!

              Several of you spoke of wheels and tires relating to carrying
              capacity.
              Does this sound sufficient for regularly carrying between 300 and 400
              pounds on the X (combined rider and cargo/passenger weight)?  If not,
              I would love some suggestions!

              Look, Mike...I weigh about 250 or so at the moment.  My BIKE probably weighs about 70 lbs with the battery pack and all.  That is about 320 right there.  On Monday AM, I take a long skinny cooler with juice and such inside (call that 30 lbs) a backpack with my clothing, drugs...(well, medications for various ailments...damn!)  call that another 15 lbs.  usually another bag of food...another 10 lbs or so, a jug of tea (a couple of pounds) and some other things, call that another 15 lbs...That adds up to 390 just there!  I can easily carry at least 80-100 lbs of cargo home from the store and often more if necessary.  I have broken a total of TWO spokes on the rear and none on ANY of the various front wheels I have tried.  At the moment, I am riding on a rear wheel that came off a Pacific mountain bike that I got for $100 at Target about 5 or 6 years ago.  I NEED a new rear wheel, but this one is pretty true still.  the NEED is mostly just "Boy I sure want a better wheel!" not a "need".

              the Front wheel is new ONLY because a friend laced up a Disc Brake for me with a Rim he had and it is working for me right now!  I have used light weight 32 spoke wheels on the bike without the motor on it, which drops the weight by about 30 lbs but the usefulness by about 50%

              Note that I have never had any real difficulty with the rear wheel!  If your wheel is straight and true, and tight, you should be OK.  If you want a bulletproof wheel, go for it.  But I would say that it is entirely likely that EVERYBODY out there is riding on a "better" rear wheel than I am.

              Just ride the damned thing until it looks like a Taco then get a new one that is stronger.  But remember, ANY wheel will Taco if you abuse it!

              mark
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
                Haha! Thanks for your candid response!

                I think I will relax and "just ride the damned thing until it looks
                like a Taco".