Weight Capacity of Bike + FreeRad

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2008
      Greetings RootsRadicals! Been following the group for a few months -
      first time post.

      I weigh 260 pounds and cycle daily. I just installed the FreeRadical
      last night and recalled the 350 pound total (passenger plus cargo)
      limit with the FreeRad installed.

      What has been the cargo-carrying experience of other
      similarly-weighted X owners?

      Thanks!

      Michael in Boise, Idaho
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2008
        I weigh 220 (did weigh about 240), I've hauled as much as 110 in
        groceries,
        and once gave my wife a slow ride (she weighs some unspecified amount
        more
        than 110).

        I'm a big fan of big tires, which will cushion the bike from the worst
        bumps.

        David

        On 2008-05-31, at 11:31 PM, Michael wrote:
        > Greetings RootsRadicals! Been following the group for a few months -
        > first time post.
        >
        > I weigh 260 pounds and cycle daily. I just installed the FreeRadical
        > last night and recalled the 350 pound total (passenger plus cargo)
        > limit with the FreeRad installed.
        >
        > What has been the cargo-carrying experience of other
        > similarly-weighted X owners?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • kwikfile08
        Message 3 of 9 , May 31, 2008
          Welcome brother!

          I have carried fertilizer bags of manure, a forged steel 40 lb truing
          stand, small kids, and commute with around 40-60 lbs 30 miles each
          way. I carried those items separately. I found the Wide loader useful
          with one Long loader. No worries, except after a long commute heavy
          loads are wearing. Best to carry heavy stuff in the morning when your
          fresh strong and the air is cool.

          Peaceful riding!

          Carl

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <bsinbox99@...> wrote:

          > Greetings RootsRadicals! Been following the group for a few months -
          > first time post.
          >
          > I weigh 260 pounds and cycle daily. I just installed the FreeRadical
          > last night and recalled the 350 pound total (passenger plus cargo)
          > limit with the FreeRad installed.
          >
          > What has been the cargo-carrying experience of other
          > similarly-weighted X owners?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Michael in Boise, Idaho

        • Cathode Ray
          Message 4 of 9 , May 31, 2008
            At 3:31 AM +0000 1/6/08, Michael wrote:
            >What has been the cargo-carrying experience of other
            >similarly-weighted X owners?

            I take anybody who is game enough to get on the back. So mostly kids
            and drunks. People over 100 Kg regularly. I weight 70 Kg bare. The
            velcro freeloader pockets has lots of tools and bits'n'pieces, so
            there is some additional weight all the time. I don't worry about the
            weight limit. Anything that I have managed to get into the
            freeloaders or onto the deck has been successfully transported. This
            includes salvage from demolition ! Check out some of the pictures on
            the xtracycle website, amazing loads! As long as you strap everything
            down, it all rolls.

            Adult passengers must sit as forward as possible, so that they are in
            front of the axle.

            The townie makes a huge difference. The geometry of the Townie frame
            enables the passenger to put their feet more forward on the footpegs.
            I previously had the xtracycle on a 700C hybrid. The shorter distance
            between the rider's pedals and the xtracycle passenger footpegs
            caused our feet to sometimes collide.

            Get some good tires. I like Schwalbe Marathon 2". I tried Big Apple
            2.35". You can't run them at highest pressure on normal rims, so I'd
            like to try Big Apple 2", but I'll wait until I need a new tire. On
            the front I run a skinnier tire.

            ray
          • Silivrenion
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
              If your bike has the wheels for it, you can go above a little. My max weight has been 500lbs total, including me, the passenger and cargo, and the weight of the bike. Trying to go uphill, I snapped my chain.

              --
              Steve Morley
              http://silivrenion.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
                On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Michael <bsinbox99@...> wrote:

                I weigh 260 pounds and cycle daily.  I just installed the FreeRadical
                last night and recalled the 350 pound total (passenger plus cargo)
                limit with the FreeRad installed.

                I weigh 17.8 stone at the moment.  (1 stone =14 lbs...you figure it out!)  anyway, the limit of my freerad is mostly what will fit.  Today I taxed it!  Made a grocery run, argued with SWMBO on the phone about different items and then carried them home.  For only the SECOND time, I strapped something to the snapdeck.

                Don't know the weight, but the bill was $111.  OK, not like it USED to be but still!... I took a photo and it is posted in the section called Lazybee's X.

                By the way, I did a gig this morning about 6 miles from home.  used the bike to haul my balloon pump, and supplies for the gig.  used the motor to hoist my fat ass over the hills both ways.  then made the grocery run after about 30-40 min of at home time and the bike on the charger.

                I popped the charger into the pocket of the Free Rad and when I arrived at the store, I plugged into the outlet THERE as I was shopping. heh!  Very cool!

                By the way, I was working at a Car show tooday.  So there I was, standing with my X and my balloon pump in the shade! ('twas 80 degrees today!)  among a fine collection of old chevy iron.  Making Balloon swords, and monkeys in a tree and snakes and flowers and such.  I answered several questions about the X and could not talk to many of the people who stopped to look it over.  I mean really!  I was swamped!  When I start to twist balloons, kids come out of the woodwork! (hey, if you pay me, I will come!)  I worked a SOLID 3 hours making balloons, then finally escaped about 2:30 after doing a few last ones for some last minute kids!

                Comments were invariably positive and very friendly!  Car nuts are a rather interesting group.  THEY understand an obsession like this and the work and thought that goes into it!  It isn't the entheusiasts that are a problem, but I had a blast, and it is fun to listen to 60's rock and roll and ask the group of kids, "Who is THIS singing!"  Parents are all waving arms and going  "oooo ooooooo!"  Kids are... "whaaaaa?"

                HAH!  fun!

                mark
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Thanks for all the great responses! Love this group!

                  Several of you spoke of wheels and tires relating to carrying
                  capacity. I currently have a stock Specialized Hemisphere, 700x38c,
                  60TPI, wire bead, Flak Jacket tire on my rear wheel with standard
                  spoke count. My LBS did re-spoke (forgive my newbie terminology) my
                  wheel with stronger spokes. Here are the specs for my bike - I still
                  have all stock parts ('cept for the spokes on the rear wheel):
                  http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32296 (click on
                  Technical Specifications after choosing your country).

                  Does this sound sufficient for regularly carrying between 300 and 400
                  pounds on the X (combined rider and cargo/passenger weight)? If not,
                  I would love some suggestions!

                  Thanks again!

                  Michael in Boise

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

                  > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Michael <bsinbox99@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > I weigh 260 pounds and cycle daily. I just installed the FreeRadical
                  > > last night and recalled the 350 pound total (passenger plus cargo)
                  > > limit with the FreeRad installed.
                  >

                  > I weigh 17.8 stone at the moment. (1 stone =14 lbs...you figure it
                  out!)
                  > anyway, the limit of my freerad is mostly what will fit. Today I
                  taxed it!
                  > Made a grocery run, argued with SWMBO on the phone about different
                  items and
                  > then carried them home. For only the SECOND time, I strapped
                  something to
                  > the snapdeck.
                  >
                  > Don't know the weight, but the bill was $111. OK, not like it USED
                  to be
                  > but still!... I took a photo and it is posted in the section called
                  > Lazybee's X.
                  >
                  > By the way, I did a gig this morning about 6 miles from home. used
                  the bike
                  > to haul my balloon pump, and supplies for the gig. used the motor
                  to hoist
                  > my fat ass over the hills both ways. then made the grocery run
                  after about
                  > 30-40 min of at home time and the bike on the charger.
                  >
                  > I popped the charger into the pocket of the Free Rad and when I
                  arrived at
                  > the store, I plugged into the outlet THERE as I was shopping. heh! Very
                  > cool!
                  >
                  > By the way, I was working at a Car show tooday. So there I was,
                  standing
                  > with my X and my balloon pump in the shade! ('twas 80 degrees
                  today!) among
                  > a fine collection of old chevy iron. Making Balloon swords, and
                  monkeys in
                  > a tree and snakes and flowers and such. I answered several
                  questions about
                  > the X and could not talk to many of the people who stopped to look
                  it over.
                  > I mean really! I was swamped! When I start to twist balloons, kids
                  come
                  > out of the woodwork! (hey, if you pay me, I will come!) I worked a
                  SOLID 3
                  > hours making balloons, then finally escaped about 2:30 after doing a few
                  > last ones for some last minute kids!
                  >
                  > Comments were invariably positive and very friendly! Car nuts are a
                  rather
                  > interesting group. THEY understand an obsession like this and the
                  work and
                  > thought that goes into it! It isn't the entheusiasts that are a
                  problem,
                  > but I had a blast, and it is fun to listen to 60's rock and roll and
                  ask the
                  > group of kids, "Who is THIS singing!" Parents are all waving arms and
                  > going "oooo ooooooo!" Kids are... "whaaaaa?"
                  >
                  > HAH! fun!
                  >
                  > mark

                • Mark Garvey
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
                    On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Michael <bsinbox99@...> wrote:
                    Thanks for all the great responses!  Love this group!

                    Several of you spoke of wheels and tires relating to carrying
                    capacity.
                    Does this sound sufficient for regularly carrying between 300 and 400
                    pounds on the X (combined rider and cargo/passenger weight)?  If not,
                    I would love some suggestions!

                    Look, Mike...I weigh about 250 or so at the moment.  My BIKE probably weighs about 70 lbs with the battery pack and all.  That is about 320 right there.  On Monday AM, I take a long skinny cooler with juice and such inside (call that 30 lbs) a backpack with my clothing, drugs...(well, medications for various ailments...damn!)  call that another 15 lbs.  usually another bag of food...another 10 lbs or so, a jug of tea (a couple of pounds) and some other things, call that another 15 lbs...That adds up to 390 just there!  I can easily carry at least 80-100 lbs of cargo home from the store and often more if necessary.  I have broken a total of TWO spokes on the rear and none on ANY of the various front wheels I have tried.  At the moment, I am riding on a rear wheel that came off a Pacific mountain bike that I got for $100 at Target about 5 or 6 years ago.  I NEED a new rear wheel, but this one is pretty true still.  the NEED is mostly just "Boy I sure want a better wheel!" not a "need".

                    the Front wheel is new ONLY because a friend laced up a Disc Brake for me with a Rim he had and it is working for me right now!  I have used light weight 32 spoke wheels on the bike without the motor on it, which drops the weight by about 30 lbs but the usefulness by about 50%

                    Note that I have never had any real difficulty with the rear wheel!  If your wheel is straight and true, and tight, you should be OK.  If you want a bulletproof wheel, go for it.  But I would say that it is entirely likely that EVERYBODY out there is riding on a "better" rear wheel than I am.

                    Just ride the damned thing until it looks like a Taco then get a new one that is stronger.  But remember, ANY wheel will Taco if you abuse it!

                    mark
                  • Michael
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
                      Haha! Thanks for your candid response!

                      I think I will relax and "just ride the damned thing until it looks
                      like a Taco".