Beam me "Down" Scotty Or "Here comes the Sun" ...I say it's alright!

  • kwikfile08
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2008
      How to harvest solar power? Beam it down from space!
      LINK

      WOW!
      "...And so has a 2007 report released by the Pentagon's National Security Space Office, encouraging the U.S. government to spearhead the development of space power systems.

      "A single kilometer-wide band of geosynchronous Earth orbit experiences enough solar flux in one year to nearly equal the amount of energy contained within all known recoverable conventional oil reserves on Earth today," the report said."

      "...American scientist Peter Glaser introduced the idea of space solar power in 1968."

      It reminds me of Donald Fagens song I.G. Y. International Geophysical Year   (iTunes Application link) in 1982
      The lyrics :
      Standing tough under stars and stripes
      We can tell
      This dream's in sight
      You've got to admit it
      At this point in time that it's clear
      The future looks bright
      On that train all graphite and glitter
      Undersea by rail
      Ninety minutes from New York to Paris
      Well by seventy-six we'll be A.O.K.

      What a beautiful world this will be
      What a glorious time to be free

      Get your ticket to that wheel in space
      While there's time
      The fix is in
      You'll be a witness to that game of chance in the sky
      You know we've got to win
      Here at home we'll play in the city
      Powered by the sun
      Perfect weather for a streamlined world
      There'll be spandex jackets one for everyone

      What a beautiful world this will be
      What a glorious time to be free

      On that train all graphite and glitter
      Undersea by rail
      Ninety minutes from New York to Paris
      (More leisure time for artists everywhere)
      A just machine to make big decisions
      Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision
      We'll be clean when their work is done
      We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young

      What a beautiful world this will be
      What a glorious time to be free

    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
        On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 9:56 AM, kwikfile08 <kwikfile08@...> wrote:
        How to harvest solar power? Beam it down from space!
        LINK

        WOW!
        "...And so has a 2007 report released by the Pentagon's National Security Space Office, encouraging the U.S. government to spearhead the development of space power systems.

        What a beautiful world this will be
        What a glorious time to be free

        Yes!  I totally agree!  I know that some folks on the conservative side see "environmentalists"  (odd....I am a CONSERVATIVE environmentalist, it that so strange??) as the enemy of the economy.  But that is not true...Taking theis small bit of information, I want to ask, "What is really "bad" about solar collectors?"  the answer, nothing!  once installed, they require very little in the way of maintainence and they cost nothing to operate.  which MAY be the problem..it isn't that they "don't work and are too expensive" but they can not be taxed or fueled or generate income to investors down the line!

        But it is interesting to see.  they are slowly falling in price.  since Solar cells are so convenient in use they are becoming more and more popular.  and you know what happens when that becomes the norm!  Calculators are the perfect example...Computers too.  Originally very expensive, after all, the FIRST calculator I ever saw was well over $200 and had the basic 4 functions and no memory!  Now you can get them on keychains at the dollar store!  You can buy a better computer NOW for $500 than you could FIND ANYWHERE 20 years ago!

        I just purchased some cute little solar powered lawn lights for my wife for Mothers Day that charge a battery all day and glow all night in changing colors...how moooch??  $5 each.

        We are getting there!  It won't be all that long before we can find simple units for a low cost that will power our basic needs.  it is happening!

        I am still planning to solar charge my X.  At the moment my panels are TU with a broken circut somewhere.

        mark
      • kwikfile08
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008

          Mark did you see this guy?
          Cycling Dude  his political affiliation is similar to yours. Great Blogger / writer

          This Sun thing has really gotten my curiosity up. It could really be the answer. On the -other-hand a military application /control could be bad. Remember Dr Evil in Austin Powers ? A freaking Laser to distroy the Planet!