Re: [rootsradicals] Re: ta-daaah!

  • Erynn Laurie
    Message 1 of 20 , May 30, 2008
      I just bought one (in Everett WA) and am waiting for it to be delivered. I'm 47 and haven't been on a bicycle more than a couple of times since I was 17, but when I was riding back then a 60 mile day wasn't too uncommon, as that was the round trip to go visit my grandmother!

      On May 30, 2008, at 12:24 AM, Sue Brown wrote:

      You are definitely not alone, Beth.  I ride an Xtracycle in Portland,
      and am 44 and 363/365 years old today.  I should probably update my
      blog before I post this, but I'm on vacation at the moment, so oh well.

      Thanks for prompting me to post here after lurking so long!

      Sue
      xtrasue.com

      Erynn

      Poet-terrorist for a better society

      Articulating the unspeakable since 1961: http://www.seanet.com/~inisglas

    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 20 , May 30, 2008
        hey erynn!  a word of warning.  some years ago, when I was a young sprout of about 45 or so, I decided that a return to cycling was a good idea to fight the "expanding man".  So i purchased a bicycle inexpensively and went to the bike trail with it.  Back in "the day" when I was like oh...30...I could ride a century ride without too much difficulty.  and 50-75 miles was hardly a challenge!

        So I went to the middle of our local bike trail.  it is 7 miles of compacted chipped stone, nearly as hard as concrete.  And I figured that I would be able to knock off the entire trail in an hour or so, and kick back for an adult beverage at home!  Taa Daa!  Great exercise.

        I unloaded the bike and started riding.  about 3 (subjective) agonizing hours later i looked down and had covered....A MILE AN A HALF!!!???  ack!  I grimly kept riding until the computer said 2.5 miles and I turned around for a total of 5 bleeding miles.  I limped back to my car and whimpered in pain as I drove home.  Only FIVE MILES?  how could I have done so badly?

        The next day, I was determined to do better.  So I tried again!   Back to the bike trail and this time I went farther, with less effort and felt better.  Soon I could indeed ride the whole trail in a bit over an hour.   and today I can ride pretty much as far as I wish without much difficulty.

        Sooo.  cautionary tale here...be careful, and simply ease into it.  Don't worry about how far or fast you go.  tootle along and stop when you feel the need.  There is a LOT of nice scenery out there, stop at a park and drink something or munch a candy bar (paydays are supposed to be about as full of energy as anything out there!  See Mountain bike Magazine!)

        Best of luck!  Make sure you have it set up for you and when you are a bit tired...stop and rest.  Don't let it worry you!

        best
        mark

        --
        Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 20 , May 30, 2008
          Where there's a will, there's a way: <http://aistigave.hit.bg/Logistics/>.

          This will also include some inspiration for ways to push the limits of
          even an xtracycle!

          CL
        • Erynn Laurie

            Message 5 of 20 , May 30, 2008
              I have seen this, fantastic what people can carry on two wheels!
              mark

              On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <cara.lin@...> wrote:
              Where there's a will, there's a way: <http://aistigave.hit.bg/Logistics/>.

              This will also include some inspiration for ways to push the limits of
              even an xtracycle!

              CL

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 20 , May 30, 2008
                On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Erynn Laurie <inisglas@...> wrote:
                Hey Mark -- thanks! I don't plan on overtaxing myself just yet ;)
                the other is more running errands like doing my grocery shopping, where I could walk that far but I can't carry everything that I need home in a backpack.

                I can carry literally a grocery basket full of stuff on my X.  So far I have only once had to put something on TOP of the deck!  And that was a pie that I didn't want to get squished!

                I have an electric assist to help with the load which makes a great difference!  In all actuality....I am planning to ride my bike with my balloon pump, and my supplies of long skinny balloons to the farmers market tomorrow morning.  then Next week is the BIG market where we have thousands of people all swarming downtown.  I will be in an entertainment area on the island and making balloons for FREE for anybody who wants to show up! (yes I take tips!)  But it is a fun business, and I can completely carry it all on my bicycle WITH the X!

                mark