Unintentional Influence

  • Phil GE
    Message 1 of 8 , May 29, 2008
      I was riding across town this evening and got stopped by a young man riding a nicely set-up road bike. He mentioned seeing my ride by on my X a few nights ago and was inspired. He's been thinking about buying an X for his mtn bike and hadn't realized there was anyone in our small city that owned one (there are actually three of us). He asked about it and I told about and he salivated about it... and now he's going to buy one. That will make four Xs in our midwestern city of 30k that I know of.  :-)

      -Phil
      --
    • larryu81
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2008
        AFAIK, there is only one other person here in Charleston, WV who has
        one.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Phil GE <b4kids@...> wrote:

        > I was riding across town this evening and got stopped by a young
        man
        > riding a nicely set-up road bike. He mentioned seeing my ride by
        on my
        > X a few nights ago and was inspired. He's been thinking about
        buying
        > an X for his mtn bike and hadn't realized there was anyone in our
        > small city that owned one (there are actually three of us). He
        asked
        > about it and I told about and he salivated about it... and now
        he's
        > going to buy one. That will make four Xs in our midwestern city of
        30k
        > that I know of. :-)
        >
        > -Phil
        > --
        > Bike When You Can

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 8 , May 30, 2008
          On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:27 AM, larryu81 <bawilson@...> wrote:
          AFAIK, there is only one other person here in Charleston, WV who has
          one.

          Cedar Rapids, Iowa has AT LEAST one other than myself. I hae seen him!  I even talked to him once!  Before I got the X myself!   a while back I ran into his wife at the store, but have not seen him for a some time!  I am told that there is at least one more out there, and I have seen at least TWO in Iowa City.

          WHERE ARE you guys Iowa people????  I want to have an Xtracycle RALLY!

          Cook burgers and brats at the park!  Drink beer, or fruit juice!  show off the rides!

          mark
        • tda0818
          Message 4 of 8 , May 30, 2008
            I would think the X would catch on darn well in Iowa City.

            -- urbino

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

            > Cedar Rapids, Iowa has AT LEAST one other than myself. I hae seen
            him! I
            > even talked to him once! Before I got the X myself! a while back
            I ran
            > into his wife at the store, but have not seen him for a some time! I am
            > told that there is at least one more out there, and I have seen at
            least TWO
            > in Iowa City.
            >
            > WHERE ARE you guys Iowa people???? I want to have an Xtracycle RALLY!
            >
            > Cook burgers and brats at the park! Drink beer, or fruit juice!
            show off
            > the rides!
            >
            > mark

          • Joe Kisley
            Message 5 of 8 , May 31, 2008
              On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Mark Garvey <lazybee45@...> wrote:

              WHERE ARE you guys Iowa people????  I want to have an Xtracycle RALLY!

              Hey Mark,

              I'm up here in Osage Iowa, but I sold my Xtracycle last year to finance another bike project. I planned on getting a Dummy when they came out but I was out of cash and they went really quick. I still don't know if I can justify the cost of the Dummy, but I sure do miss my X. I'm thinking about getting another Xtracycle. I thought there was a big xtracycle community in Iowa City.

              Joe
              --
              http://ninemileskid.blogspot.com/

            • Mark Garvey
              Message 6 of 8 , May 31, 2008
                On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 7:17 AM, Joe Kisley <josephkisley@...> wrote:

                Hey Mark,

                I'm up here in Osage Iowa, but I sold my Xtracycle last year to finance another bike project. I planned on getting a Dummy when they came out but I was out of cash and they went really quick. I still don't know if I can justify the cost of the Dummy, but I sure do miss my X. I'm thinking about getting another Xtracycle. I thought there was a big xtracycle community in Iowa City.

                Joe
                --
                http://ninemileskid.blogspot.com/

                I thought there was also.  But not now evidently.  I have seen a bike or two out there, and it is a fine thing.  But I almost never see another X anywhere.  and of course, people interested in utility bikes are not what you would call "joiners".

                Anyway, I was at the farmers market this morning and got lots of attention with the X.  tons of people wanted to know about it and how it worked and all that.  Got some nice comments on the X and the e-assist!

                But then I was hauling my entire balloon business on it.  a monster pump, a bag of balloons, my personal supply bag, a small folding chair (camp stool) water, thermos bottle with hot tea, My Cherry wood flute and my shakuhachi. (yes I did get a chance to play it a bit!)

                I made a bit of money and nabbed a gig tomorrow at a car show!  wheee!  Another $200 weekend I hope!  pays the bills!

                mark
              • Victor Khong
                Message 7 of 8 , May 31, 2008
                  Will try and do the conversion build tomorrow!

                  Victor in Vancouver

                • Mark Garvey
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
                    Take your time, follow the very clear and entertaining instructions that come with it (I keep mine by the bedside for fun reading occasionally!) and it will take you aabout 2 hours of so.  SIMPLICITY to do!

                    mark

                    On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Victor Khong <victorkhong@...> wrote:
                    Will try and do the conversion build tomorrow!

                    Victor in Vancouver

                    --
                    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu