Re: [rootsradicals] great stand for an xtracycle

  • John Speare
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
      On 7/6/06, Derek Pearson <derekjpearson@...> wrote:

      > looks good. The beef I have with the rock sturdy is that it can't be used with the wide loaders, which makes it kinda moot in my eyes. It appears that this stand is ready to be used along with wide loaders. Is it so??

      I've not used it with the wide loaders, but the guy who built it uses
      wide loaders, so yes. It works.

      In fact, picture's worth a thousand words:
      http://phred.org/~alex/pictures/bikes/xtracycle/july-4-2006/reduced/IMGP8035.jpg

      this is the guy who built it. note the bull whip.

      John

      --
      John Speare
      Spokane, WA USA
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
        yes it is. Thanks for the info and photo. Email dispatched! :)

        > I've not used it with the wide loaders, but the guy who built it uses
        > wide loaders, so yes. It works.
        >
        > In fact, picture's worth a thousand words:

        http://phred.org/~alex/pictures/bikes/xtracycle/july-4-2006/reduced/IMGP8035.jpg

        > this is the guy who built it. note the bull whip.
        >
        > John
        >
        > --
        > John Speare
        > Spokane, WA USA
        > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

      • Morgan Friedland
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
          I have one of these great kickstands as well. It has been a tremendous device. It was expensive, but has proved to be vital. Val did an expert install and it has worked flawlessly. Kudos to Val and  Aaron at www.rideyourbike.com

          Morgan in Seattle

        • Steve Pepper
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
            If you can't afford the new stand then I simply replaced the allen headed bolt with an ordinary bolt of the same size but with a Nyloc nut tightened up at the other side. I had to drill and tap the threads out but in a couple of months and a decent torque it hasn't moved at all.

            Steve
            Harrogate
            UK

          • Paul Rychnovsky
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7, 2006
              steve said on 6/7/06:
              If you can't afford the new stand then I simply replaced the allen headed bolt with an ordinary bolt of the same size but with a Nyloc nut tightened up at the other side. I had to drill and tap the threads out but in a couple of months and a decent torque it hasn't moved at all.

              I presume you've got a Mk 1 Xtra,  have you had problems with the actual mounting plate bending, I've already snapped one off a frame (sorted under warranty). I'm trying to sort a way of strengthening the plate without resorting to welding new metal in.

              Paul
              Dorset
              UK

            • Steve Pepper
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7, 2006
                Yes Paul

                No I haven't. I just replaced the allen bolt with the same size ordinary nut and nyloc bolt (after tapping the threads all the way through) and then tightened iot all up with a torque wrench. It hasn't moved in 2 months of hard use, I had heard of the problems with the stand slipping and did this before I first took the bike out.

                Steve