Re: [rootsradicals] great stand for an xtracycle

  • Derek Pearson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
      looks good. The beef I have with the rock sturdy is that it can't be used with the wide loaders, which makes it kinda moot in my eyes. It appears that this stand is ready to be used along with wide loaders. Is it so??

      John Speare <johnspeare@...> wrote:
      i recently purchased a stand from a guy in Seattle that makes xtracycle stands.

      it has been a great great thing. it's got the ease of use that the
      stock kick stand has (no fussing) with the stability that the fancy
      xtracycle stand has. best of both worlds.

      more info here: http://www.johndogf ood.com/x/ #stand

      we'll be doing another camping trip this week with the xtracycle. my 3
      y.o and I have made one overnighter. This time, my wife will be riding
      her bike and joining us. should be fun.

      the longer i use the xtracycle the more I love it. I have many bikes,
      but I find my butt on this one much more frequently (time wise, if not
      actual miles) than any other bike. It's great for loading up with
      camping chairs and a snack and some towels and hitting the spray pad
      this time of year. not to mention that we've not used our car for
      grocery shopping for about 3 months now...

      i also think that i've identified about the perfect "off the shelf
      bike" for xtracycle usage: the novara buzz. not the big buzz -- but
      the buzz. It's got 26" wheels, disc brakes, riser bars, appropriate
      gearing (38/28 up front with 11/34 in the back --perfect!!) . Hardy
      components. And it's not insanely expensive at $650 -- just mostly
      expensive.

      bye.

      --
      John Speare
      Spokane, WA USA

    • John Speare
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
        On 7/6/06, Derek Pearson <derekjpearson@...> wrote:

        > looks good. The beef I have with the rock sturdy is that it can't be used with the wide loaders, which makes it kinda moot in my eyes. It appears that this stand is ready to be used along with wide loaders. Is it so??

        I've not used it with the wide loaders, but the guy who built it uses
        wide loaders, so yes. It works.

        In fact, picture's worth a thousand words:
        http://phred.org/~alex/pictures/bikes/xtracycle/july-4-2006/reduced/IMGP8035.jpg

        this is the guy who built it. note the bull whip.

        John

        --
        John Speare
        Spokane, WA USA
        http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html
      • Derek
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
          yes it is. Thanks for the info and photo. Email dispatched! :)

          > I've not used it with the wide loaders, but the guy who built it uses
          > wide loaders, so yes. It works.
          >
          > In fact, picture's worth a thousand words:

          http://phred.org/~alex/pictures/bikes/xtracycle/july-4-2006/reduced/IMGP8035.jpg

          > this is the guy who built it. note the bull whip.
          >
          > John
          >
          > --
          > John Speare
          > Spokane, WA USA
          > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

        • Morgan Friedland
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
            I have one of these great kickstands as well. It has been a tremendous device. It was expensive, but has proved to be vital. Val did an expert install and it has worked flawlessly. Kudos to Val and  Aaron at www.rideyourbike.com

            Morgan in Seattle

          • Steve Pepper
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2006
              If you can't afford the new stand then I simply replaced the allen headed bolt with an ordinary bolt of the same size but with a Nyloc nut tightened up at the other side. I had to drill and tap the threads out but in a couple of months and a decent torque it hasn't moved at all.

              Steve
              Harrogate
              UK

            • Paul Rychnovsky
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7, 2006
                steve said on 6/7/06:
                If you can't afford the new stand then I simply replaced the allen headed bolt with an ordinary bolt of the same size but with a Nyloc nut tightened up at the other side. I had to drill and tap the threads out but in a couple of months and a decent torque it hasn't moved at all.

                I presume you've got a Mk 1 Xtra,  have you had problems with the actual mounting plate bending, I've already snapped one off a frame (sorted under warranty). I'm trying to sort a way of strengthening the plate without resorting to welding new metal in.

                Paul
                Dorset
                UK

              • Steve Pepper
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7, 2006
                  Yes Paul

                  No I haven't. I just replaced the allen bolt with the same size ordinary nut and nyloc bolt (after tapping the threads all the way through) and then tightened iot all up with a torque wrench. It hasn't moved in 2 months of hard use, I had heard of the problems with the stand slipping and did this before I first took the bike out.

                  Steve