Re: [rootsradicals] Re: post production stiffener

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2008
      is there some way to use screen door brace with a turn buckle on each side?

      On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 8:02 PM, brian <laplander@...> wrote:

      I kinda played around with something like this. I was working with
      a conduit clamp that would go on the upper seat tube( right below
      the seat post clamp) with two peices of threaded rod leading to the
      cantilever brake mounts on the free radical frame. I planned on
      attaching them to the brake mounts with spherical rod ends so they
      could be adjusted. I wasn't sure if this would stiffen the rear
      enough to be worth all the work, so I lost interest and never
      finished. Maybe all finish building it and give it a shot.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott"

      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2008
        On 2008-05-05, at 1:12 PM, Phil Good-Elliott wrote:
        > How to then stiffen the rear while maintaining the
        > capacity to disengage the FR from the host bike?

        Didn't know that the lack of disengage was a requirement.

        I seem to have less wiggle than some people, but my tongue connection
        is very tight -- a FAP above, a FAP below, and washers and cork
        gaskets onto the frame to make sure that nothing moves.

        I think, given what little Mech E, I know, and what I know of bike
        bending, that it could easily be the back of the bike bending back
        and forth. If you were willing to make the FR be non-removable, you
        could lay a fiberglass plate between the chain stays and the seat
        stays -- putting the plate between the chain stays would trap the FR.

        To make the FR still be removable, you could clamp a pair of
        removable plates on the chain stays, using a thin sheet of something
        sticky/gummy to provide friction. You could probably make something
        like that out of fiberglass, even -- use wax to provide mold release.

        David.