post production stiffener

  • Phil Good-Elliott
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2008
      Here's a product suggestion for the FreeRadical: find a way of creating
      a post-production stiffener. If there was a way of adding adjustable
      rods that could then be tightened/set... Maybe running from the main
      frame original brake mounts to the drop outs or some other place close
      to the axle. Another version: something that could mount to the base of
      the seat post and extend back/down.

      How could this get be done at a reasonable price? The Yuba Mundo and
      the Big Dummy are nice, but they're more $$ than a lot of us can
      afford. My ride feels much better since changing from a suspension fork
      to a rigid fork. How to then stiffen the rear while maintaining the
      capacity to disengage the FR from the host bike?

      -Phil
      --
      http://bikewhenyoucan.blogspot.com/
    • brian
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2008
        I kinda played around with something like this. I was working with
        a conduit clamp that would go on the upper seat tube( right below
        the seat post clamp) with two peices of threaded rod leading to the
        cantilever brake mounts on the free radical frame. I planned on
        attaching them to the brake mounts with spherical rod ends so they
        could be adjusted. I wasn't sure if this would stiffen the rear
        enough to be worth all the work, so I lost interest and never
        finished. Maybe all finish building it and give it a shot.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott"
        <poppamando@...> wrote:

        > Here's a product suggestion for the FreeRadical: find a way of
        creating
        > a post-production stiffener. If there was a way of adding
        adjustable
        > rods that could then be tightened/set... Maybe running from the
        main
        > frame original brake mounts to the drop outs or some other place
        close
        > to the axle. Another version: something that could mount to the
        base of
        > the seat post and extend back/down.
        >
        > How could this get be done at a reasonable price? The Yuba Mundo
        and
        > the Big Dummy are nice, but they're more $$ than a lot of us can
        > afford. My ride feels much better since changing from a suspension
        fork
        > to a rigid fork. How to then stiffen the rear while maintaining
        the
        > capacity to disengage the FR from the host bike?
        >
        > -Phil
        > --
        > http://bikewhenyoucan.blogspot.com/

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2008
          is there some way to use screen door brace with a turn buckle on each side?

          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2008
            On 2008-05-05, at 1:12 PM, Phil Good-Elliott wrote:
            > How to then stiffen the rear while maintaining the
            > capacity to disengage the FR from the host bike?

            Didn't know that the lack of disengage was a requirement.

            I seem to have less wiggle than some people, but my tongue connection
            is very tight -- a FAP above, a FAP below, and washers and cork
            gaskets onto the frame to make sure that nothing moves.

            I think, given what little Mech E, I know, and what I know of bike
            bending, that it could easily be the back of the bike bending back
            and forth. If you were willing to make the FR be non-removable, you
            could lay a fiberglass plate between the chain stays and the seat
            stays -- putting the plate between the chain stays would trap the FR.

            To make the FR still be removable, you could clamp a pair of
            removable plates on the chain stays, using a thin sheet of something
            sticky/gummy to provide friction. You could probably make something
            like that out of fiberglass, even -- use wax to provide mold release.

            David.