Re: I've been scouting bikes for my future xtracycle

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2008
      Mechanical disc brakes are not all that expensive, and work very well
      with the Free Radical, esp. since it is already set up for them. It's
      cheaper to do it now than to retrofit them since that usually means
      different wheels.

      I would think twice about the Shimano Nexus hub. I have no experience
      with them, but do a search for them in the Utility Bikes forum of
      bikeforums.net. They don't seem to hold up all that well under load.
      There's a lot of favorable reaction to the NuVinci hub as a good
      alternative to the very expensive, but bullet-proof Rohloff hub. I'm
      hoping to convert to the NuVinci later this summer.

      I put 100 mi/week on my Specialized Hardrock with Free Radical. It's
      my pickup for working in citrus orchards for a university. About 25
      miles/week off road in the fields, the rest on asphalt. This week was
      the first time I put more mileage on my bike than my truck and I
      expect that to continue from now on. So far absolutely no problems
      that can be attributed to adding the Free Radical. It's been a very
      satisfying purchase.

      Eric