I've been scouting bikes for my future xtracycle

  • Sean Moore
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2008
      and I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything:

      MTB for the high bottom bracket and wide tire clearance.
      26in wheels for being common and strong.
      V-brakes (the new style side pull cantilevers, NOT the old center pull like my current bike) -or- disc brakes (dreaming)

      Is there anything else?  I'll be running either Nitto North Road or Albatross bars and a saddle designed for upright riding.  I'm really leaning towards the Shimano Nexus hub, just because.  If anyone asks I'll tell 'em it's so I can shift to "1" when I get stopped suddenly with 120lb of groceries ;)

      Also, what gotchas should I look out for if I do manage to find a disc brake bike?

      Thanks, all.  My CX/hybrid bike is still really fun to ride, I've been doing nearly all of my errands on it for the past couple months.  I just want more capacity.

      --
      Sean Moore
      moore.sean@...
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2008
        Mechanical disc brakes are not all that expensive, and work very well
        with the Free Radical, esp. since it is already set up for them. It's
        cheaper to do it now than to retrofit them since that usually means
        different wheels.

        I would think twice about the Shimano Nexus hub. I have no experience
        with them, but do a search for them in the Utility Bikes forum of
        bikeforums.net. They don't seem to hold up all that well under load.
        There's a lot of favorable reaction to the NuVinci hub as a good
        alternative to the very expensive, but bullet-proof Rohloff hub. I'm
        hoping to convert to the NuVinci later this summer.

        I put 100 mi/week on my Specialized Hardrock with Free Radical. It's
        my pickup for working in citrus orchards for a university. About 25
        miles/week off road in the fields, the rest on asphalt. This week was
        the first time I put more mileage on my bike than my truck and I
        expect that to continue from now on. So far absolutely no problems
        that can be attributed to adding the Free Radical. It's been a very
        satisfying purchase.

        Eric