Re: Two things from Xtracycle

  • xtracycleinc
    Message 1 of 19 , May 4 7:34 AM
      The link for the video...

      http://www.kohr.org/biketrip

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "xtracycleinc" <ross@...> wrote:

      > 1. Anyone know anybody using an Xtracycle for construction/cabinet
      > making, and making a living at it? If so, we have a trade magazine
      > that would love to feature carpenters on Xtracycles.
      >
      > 2. Check out a video documenting a Bay Area Xtracycle family camping
      > adventure.
      >
      > Nate
      > Xtracycle Inc.

    • Joel Michaud
      Message 2 of 19 , May 5 7:12 PM
        Hey Nate

        Iam a finishing carpenter and i ride my bike and now my new big dummy,
        almost everywhere i need to go. I work primarily in the downtown area
        of my city so i carry all of my gear on my bike through the streets. It
        really is a blessing to have the xtracycle, because i can now literally
        almost bike anywhere with all my gear!

        Let me know if i can help with anything or any info, it sounds neat!

        Joel.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "xtracycleinc" <ross@...> wrote:

        > 1. Anyone know anybody using an Xtracycle for construction/cabinet
        > making, and making a living at it? If so, we have a trade magazine
        > that would love to feature carpenters on Xtracycles.
        >
        > 2. Check out a video documenting a Bay Area Xtracycle family camping
        > adventure.
        >
        > Nate
        > Xtracycle Inc.

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 19 , May 6 5:10 PM
          OK, I am  not a cabinet maker or a carpenter.  BUT!!!  I am a truck driver.  Here is the point. (and I do have one!)  I can ride my Xtracycle to work, remove the battery and charger from the bike and place them in the cab where I plug the charger into the inverter (changes 12 VDC to 126VAC) and charge my bike assist battery FOR FREE!  the truck produces power ANYWAY so why not use it???   The bike itself goes into the trailer.   Truck stops are notorious for being relatively remote to other facilities. If you want a decent meal, or anything else, you are sort of stuck unless you want to WALK a long way.   I generally stay behind a business that I am making deliveries to.  But then again, no real facilities!   If I want Ice for my cooler or to get food, I may have to go a few miles.  So the X works as a vehicle for my transportation.  It is MUCH easier than walking, and more fun too.  I can get aro7und nearly ANYWHERE in most cities.  My route is mostly in Iowa and I know almost all the places, but riding a bike 10 or 12 blocks is MUCHO easier than walking it!

          mark

          On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Joel Michaud <karith_manus@...> wrote:
          Hey Nate

          Iam a finishing carpenter and i ride my bike and now my new big dummy,
          almost everywhere i need to go. I work primarily in the downtown area
          of my city so i carry all of my gear on my bike through the streets. It
          really is a blessing to have the xtracycle, because i can now literally
          almost bike anywhere with all my gear!

          Let me know if i can help with anything or any info, it sounds neat!

          Joel.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "xtracycleinc" <ross@...> wrote:

          > 1. Anyone know anybody using an Xtracycle for construction/cabinet
          > making, and making a living at it?  If so, we have a trade magazine
          > that would love to feature carpenters on Xtracycles.
          >
          > 2.  Check out a video documenting a Bay Area Xtracycle family camping
          > adventure.
          >
          > Nate
          > Xtracycle Inc.

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu
        • Juergen Weichert
          Message 4 of 19 , May 6 7:53 PM
            Mark - You are charging your bike battery with diesel.

            Use of the outlet and inverter increases the electrical load on your
            system and causes the alternator to draw more power from the engine
            rotation, which is powered by diesel. If you didn't plug in you would
            burn less fuel. Microscopic difference of course but I thought it might
            interest you.

            Cheers
            Juergen

            Mark Garvey wrote:

            > ...and charge my bike assist battery FOR FREE! the truck produces
            > power ANYWAY so why not use it???

          • Nate Byerley
            Message 5 of 19 , May 6 8:53 PM
              A nominal amount of diesel no? Wattage of moving a truck 60mph vs.
              charging a battery must be on the order of 100:1 or 1000:1. Still
              carbon emitted nevertheless. Makes me think of many of the all
              electric cars I'm seeing around the East Bay that claim, stickers
              plastered across their fronts, sides, and rears, that they are ZERO
              EMISSION VEHICLE. If only such a thing existed.

              Nate
            • Juergen Weichert
              Message 6 of 19 , May 6 9:15 PM
                My electric vehicles are powered by wind power (20%) and low-impact
                hydro (80%):
                http://www.bullfrogpower.com/

                zero-carbon ;-)

                Juergen

                Nate Byerley wrote:

                > A nominal amount of diesel no? Wattage of moving a truck 60mph vs.
                > charging a battery must be on the order of 100:1 or 1000:1. Still
                > carbon emitted nevertheless. Makes me think of many of the all
                > electric cars I'm seeing around the East Bay that claim, stickers
                > plastered across their fronts, sides, and rears, that they are ZERO
                > EMISSION VEHICLE. If only such a thing existed.
                >
                > Nate
                >
                > _
              • brian
                Message 7 of 19 , May 7 5:45 AM
                  Cool video, where is the camp spot? My wife and I are trying to
                  plan a short camping trip in the marin headlands/point reyes/mount
                  tam area. We've done some riding in the area but are not sure where
                  we should camp.-Brian

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 7 10:07 AM
                    On 2008-05-06, at 11:53 PM, Nate Byerley wrote:
                    > Makes me think of many of the all
                    > electric cars I'm seeing around the East Bay that claim, stickers
                    > plastered across their fronts, sides, and rears, that they are ZERO
                    > EMISSION VEHICLE. If only such a thing existed.

                    And do note, we're not ZEV either -- riding a bike 50 miles/week adds
                    about one whole day of calorie-consumption to your week. Like the time
                    it takes to travel, it's shared with the exercise that you needed
                    anyway,
                    but it takes energy to produce that food. If you get your extra
                    calories
                    from plants, it's not a big deal, but if you eat mammals (especially
                    beef
                    or lamb) for the extra, it's about as bad as driving an SUV, per mile
                    (because it takes many calories of corn input to make one calorie of
                    edible beef). (Shrimp's bad, so is deep sea fish, chicken's not so bad,
                    neither is herring).

                    David
                  • Mighk Wilson
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 7 11:02 AM
                      >> If you get your extra calories from plants, it's not a big deal, but
                      if you eat mammals (especially beef or lamb) for the extra, it's about
                      as bad as driving an SUV, per mile (because it takes many calories of
                      corn input to make one calorie of edible beef).<<

                      85 percent of the energy an internal combustion engine uses is wasted as
                      heat and friction, so I have a hard time believing meat-based calories
                      are anywhere near as bad.

                      The problem isn't meat (we have canines in our mouths for a reason),
                      it's that we just eat way too much of it. Protein is not used so much
                      for energy as for building and maintaining the body. Eating extra meat
                      isn't going to get you much farther down the road anyway; you need carbs
                      for that. (Yes, I know we can get protein from vegetable sources alone,
                      but it's challenging.) I recently heard it takes seven ounces of grain
                      to make one ounce of beef.

                      Mighk

                      "What a country calls its vital economic interests are not the things
                      which enable its citizens to live, but the things which enable it to
                      make war. Gasoline is much more likely than wheat to be a cause of
                      international conflict."
                      -- Simone Weil, 1949
                    • kwikfile08
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 7 12:04 PM
                        How about Chilean Black Sea Bass?

                        Since there are about two left. Once they are gone and the species is
                        extinct, there will will be no worries about CO2 stuff intransporting
                        the Sea Bass from Chile to New York.

                        Along these lines has any thought been given to the Overseas Shipping
                        and transportation and manufacturing cost relative to CO2 and the like
                        in the Bicycling industry? Like think about all those Xtracycles and
                        Tires, and iPods and, and, and, to the AND-billion'th Power.
                        China to you name the locale is creating a "Boat Load" of CO2 and
                        pollution.

                        At the end of the day back to eating an Xtra days worth of food every
                        50 miles. Just think don't eat the Xtra days worth of food and simply
                        Loose the freakin weight. besides a LB of beef not eaten is equal to a
                        years worth of regular showers. Because cows drink a bunch of water
                        that was pumped from many miles away (usually) at least here in
                        California. In the end YES riding a bike is a whole lot better that
                        driving a car. There are many more things to look at than just Gas
                        emmisions, how about repairs, tires costs of shipping all the support
                        crud to make the whole mega-industry work. Shipping a car from Japan,
                        Korea, China et all uses more "stuff" than a sea land container full
                        of Xtracyles and iPods... some times thinking about all this stuff can
                        make you crazy.

                        > On 2008-05-06, at 11:53 PM, Nate Byerley wrote:
                        > > Makes me think of many of the all
                        > > electric cars I'm seeing around the East Bay that claim, stickers
                        > > plastered across their fronts, sides, and rears, that they are ZERO
                        > > EMISSION VEHICLE. If only such a thing existed.
                        > >
                        > And do note, we're not ZEV either -- riding a bike 50 miles/week adds
                        > about one whole day of calorie-consumption to your week. Like the time
                        > it takes to travel, it's shared with the exercise that you needed
                        > anyway,
                        > but it takes energy to produce that food. If you get your extra
                        > calories
                        > from plants, it's not a big deal, but if you eat mammals (especially
                        > beef
                        > or lamb) for the extra, it's about as bad as driving an SUV, per mile
                        > (because it takes many calories of corn input to make one calorie of
                        > edible beef). (Shrimp's bad, so is deep sea fish, chicken's not so bad,
                        > neither is herring).
                        >
                        > David

                      • Joel Michaud
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 7 4:54 PM
                          Hey guys

                          This is a interesting topic. About the first question that was asked
                          here, id like to help with any info i can. It would be fun to let
                          other carpenters out there know that you dont have to drive around in
                          your big trucks to get things done. You can try it like i do, and
                          bike with all of you tools (for the most part), where you need to go.
                          Like i said id love to help with the article.

                          The meat discusion is also pretty neat. I my self am a vegeterian,
                          meaning i dont eat meat but sometimes have dairy. I chose this
                          lifestyle not really because of the emmissions but for other reasons
                          alltogether. But the more i hear about how inefficient the production
                          of animal goods is the more it makes sense to add it as another
                          reason to try and go vegeterian or at least try meat light.

                          Joel.

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mighk Wilson" <mwilson@...>
                          wrote:

                          > >> If you get your extra calories from plants, it's not a big deal,
                          but
                          > if you eat mammals (especially beef or lamb) for the extra, it's
                          about
                          > as bad as driving an SUV, per mile (because it takes many calories
                          of
                          > corn input to make one calorie of edible beef).<<
                          >
                          > 85 percent of the energy an internal combustion engine uses is
                          wasted as
                          > heat and friction, so I have a hard time believing meat-based
                          calories
                          > are anywhere near as bad.
                          >
                          > The problem isn't meat (we have canines in our mouths for a reason),
                          > it's that we just eat way too much of it. Protein is not used so
                          much
                          > for energy as for building and maintaining the body. Eating extra
                          meat
                          > isn't going to get you much farther down the road anyway; you need
                          carbs
                          > for that. (Yes, I know we can get protein from vegetable sources
                          alone,
                          > but it's challenging.) I recently heard it takes seven ounces of
                          grain
                          > to make one ounce of beef.
                          >
                          > Mighk
                          >
                          > "What a country calls its vital economic interests are not the
                          things
                          > which enable its citizens to live, but the things which enable it to
                          > make war. Gasoline is much more likely than wheat to be a cause of
                          > international conflict."
                          > -- Simone Weil, 1949

                        • stoutag
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 8 6:15 AM
                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Michaud"
                            <karith_manus@...> wrote:

                            > Hey guys
                            >
                            > This is a interesting topic. About the first question that was asked
                            > here, id like to help with any info i can. It would be fun to let
                            > other carpenters out there know that you dont have to drive around in
                            > your big trucks to get things done. You can try it like i do, and
                            > bike with all of you tools (for the most part), where you need to go.
                            > Like i said id love to help with the article.
                            >
                            > The meat discusion is also pretty neat. I my self am a vegeterian,
                            > meaning i dont eat meat but sometimes have dairy. I chose this
                            > lifestyle not really because of the emmissions but for other reasons
                            > alltogether. But the more i hear about how inefficient the production
                            > of animal goods is the more it makes sense to add it as another
                            > reason to try and go vegeterian or at least try meat light.
                            >
                            > Joel.
                            >
                            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mighk Wilson" <mwilson@>

                            > but
                            > > if you eat mammals (especially beef or lamb) for the extra, it's
                            > about
                            > > as bad as driving an SUV, per mile (because it takes many calories
                            > of
                            > > corn input to make one calorie of edible beef).<<
                            > >
                            > > 85 percent of the energy an internal combustion engine uses is
                            > wasted as
                            > > heat and friction, so I have a hard time believing meat-based
                            > calories
                            > > are anywhere near as bad.
                            > >
                            > > The problem isn't meat (we have canines in our mouths for a reason),
                            > > it's that we just eat way too much of it. Protein is not used so
                            > much
                            > > for energy as for building and maintaining the body. Eating extra
                            > meat
                            > > isn't going to get you much farther down the road anyway; you need
                            > carbs
                            > > for that. (Yes, I know we can get protein from vegetable sources
                            > alone,
                            > > but it's challenging.) I recently heard it takes seven ounces of
                            > grain
                            > > to make one ounce of beef.
                            > >
                            > > Mighk
                            > >
                            > > "What a country calls its vital economic interests are not the
                            > things
                            > > which enable its citizens to live, but the things which enable it to
                            > > make war. Gasoline is much more likely than wheat to be a cause of
                            > > international conflict."
                            > > -- Simone Weil, 1949

                            Some folks who like to be contrary and pro-cars like to make the
                            argument that cyclists in a worst case scenario are worse than a car
                            when total energy cycle is accounted for, but there are many
                            shortfalls in that argument.

                            I've crunched all these numbers independently to verify statements
                            like these awhile back. By and large we should all be exercising
                            anyway, for our own health and well being (how bout health care costs
                            of a sedentary obese society?). So if you would be exercising anyway
                            and if you do that while transporting yourself, then its basically
                            free in that sense.

                            By any unbiased report I've found and from my own numbers
                            realistically the worst case scenario for a cyclist is still about 6x
                            better than driving a hybrid, maybe 3x if you eat a LOT of meat. But
                            like I said if you'd be exercising anyway, and you now accomplish that
                            as transportation, it immediately makes that argument null and void.

                            This is however a good case for buying food locally grown as much as
                            possible, since most of the C02 emissions we'd be talking about are
                            from the transport of the food used to fuel our bodies. So if you
                            have the option, support your local farmers markets, and if you're
                            feeling really inspired you can become vegetarians too :)
                          • kwikfile08
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 8 12:09 PM
                              I wanted to ease up on Mark.

                              Think about it - are xtracycles came in to our homes via TRUCK.
                              TRUCKS are a necessary element even in a Car free world. The dude is
                              out there riding an X everywhere. spreading the WORD via example.
                              Unless you are absolutely CAR FREE. No ONLINE shoppers too, then maybe
                              just maybe you can bag on this dude!

                              WAY TO GO MARK! I have a soft spot for TRUCKERS because I grew up on
                              "MOVIN' ON" in the 1970's and built Peter Built models all the time.
                              And mostly the truckers throw me and my X the respect out there on the
                              road. BIG WHEELS TURNIN' MOVIN ON MY X, GOT TO KEEP THEM ROOLIN'

                              Peace and namaste'

                              Carl

                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

                              > OK, I am not a cabinet maker or a carpenter. BUT!!! I am a truck
                              driver.
                              > Here is the point. (and I do have one!) I can ride my Xtracycle to
                              work,
                              > remove the battery and charger from the bike and place them in the
                              cab where
                              > I plug the charger into the inverter (changes 12 VDC to 126VAC) and
                              charge
                              > my bike assist battery FOR FREE! the truck produces power ANYWAY so
                              why not
                              > use it??? The bike itself goes into the trailer. Truck stops are
                              > notorious for being relatively remote to other facilities. If you want a
                              > decent meal, or anything else, you are sort of stuck unless you want
                              to WALK
                              > a long way. I generally stay behind a business that I am making
                              deliveries
                              > to. But then again, no real facilities! If I want Ice for my
                              cooler or to
                              > get food, I may have to go a few miles. So the X works as a vehicle
                              for my
                              > transportation. It is MUCH easier than walking, and more fun too.
                              I can
                              > get aro7und nearly ANYWHERE in most cities. My route is mostly in
                              Iowa and
                              > I know almost all the places, but riding a bike 10 or 12 blocks is MUCHO
                              > easier than walking it!
                              >
                              > mark
                              >
                              > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Joel Michaud <karith_manus@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > > Hey Nate
                              > >
                              > > Iam a finishing carpenter and i ride my bike and now my new big dummy,
                              > > almost everywhere i need to go. I work primarily in the downtown area
                              > > of my city so i carry all of my gear on my bike through the
                              streets. It
                              > > really is a blessing to have the xtracycle, because i can now
                              literally
                              > > almost bike anywhere with all my gear!
                              > >
                              > > Let me know if i can help with anything or any info, it sounds neat!
                              > >
                              > > Joel.
                              > >

                              > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "xtracycleinc" <ross@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > 1. Anyone know anybody using an Xtracycle for construction/cabinet
                              > > > making, and making a living at it? If so, we have a trade magazine
                              > > > that would love to feature carpenters on Xtracycles.
                              > > >
                              > > > 2. Check out a video documenting a Bay Area Xtracycle family
                              camping
                              > > > adventure.
                              > > >
                              > > > Nate
                              > > > Xtracycle Inc.
                              > > >

                              > > ------------------------------------
                              > >
                              > > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
                              Xtracycle roots
                              > > radical.

                              > > ride to believe.Yahoo! Groups Links
                              > >

                              > --
                              > Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and
                              feed him
                              > for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is
                              stupid
                              > and boring. –Desmond Tutu

                            • Mark Garvey
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 8 5:12 PM
                                What you say is technically true...On the other hand, the truck has to run ANYWAY so it isn't like I am really drawing a lot more current.

                                The other point here is that when I work in the warehouse, I plug into the shop electricity. I offered to pay for it, but Boss said, "fuggeddabouddit!".

                                At the presen5t time my solar charger has an open circut and I am looking for a new set of panels that I can afford.  But I CAN charge from solar and using the truck is probably less additional pollution than plugging into the wall anyway.

                                But I don't worry about it much!

                                mark

                                Mark Garvey wrote:

                                > ...and charge my bike assist battery FOR FREE!  the truck produces
                                > power ANYWAY so why not use it???

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                   Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:

                                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                --
                                Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu
                              • Bruce Alan Wilson
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 8 6:10 PM
                                  Re: Two things from Xtracycle

                                  Those of us with diabetes can't eat large amounts of carbs.  Carbs send the blood sugar up, and we have to take all sorts of nasty drugs to lower them again.  Best not to let the blood sugar go up in the first place.  See "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" for further information.

                                  Bruce Alan Wilson

                                • Sean Moore
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 8 7:20 PM
                                    Hey Mark,

                                    Out of curiosity, what do those trucks suck down per hour (GPH) at idle?  Your inverter isn't touching a 300HP engine at idle, I'd guess that a single dirty injector would cause the thing to use more fuel than the inverter does.

                                    On another note, you may be able to get a DC charger for your battery when that inverter dies, IIRC the inverter circuit is fairly expensive.

                                    Mark Garvey wrote:

                                    > ...and charge my bike assist battery FOR FREE!  the truck produces
                                    > power ANYWAY so why not use it???

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                       Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:

                                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    --
                                    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu

                                    --
                                    Sean Moore
                                    moore.sean@...
                                  • Sean Moore
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 8 7:25 PM
                                      Oh yeah, duh, almost forgot:

                                      Mark is using absolutely zero "extra" fuel when charging while underway.  The alternator system will almost invariably produce more power than the electrical system is using at any given moment, since it's got to run the electrical system at idle.  There is excess electricity simply not being used most of the time.

                                      Don't hate, please.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 9 7:47 PM
                                        I am running a Cat that produces an HONEST 500 hp.  It isn't a sports car obviously!  But it DOES like to go! (13 speed Eaton-Fuller.  I am getting about 5.8-5.9 mpg average on the road and when idling it burns about 1 gph pr so.  The only reason that I run the engine overnight is when I need heat or cooling.  We are exploring the idea of supplimentary generators that will help with heat and cooling when it is undesirable to use the main engine.  SOME truck stops have plug in power available,  though if you are a nutcase like I am, who avoids truckstops whenever possible, this is not really a choice.  I am thinking of taking my tent along when the weather is suitable...But at the same time, The sleeper is pretty cozy really!  My friend (also named Mark) likes to have the A/C turned up so high in the summer that you can see your breath in the sleeper. In reality, I do not believe that the A/C produces much drag on the Cats!  I have never noticed an RPM drop when it kicks in!

                                        mark