Re: The Yuba Mundo Cargo bike is here!

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 13 , May 4, 2008

      I've heard some persistent rumors that Ortlieb is making a custom bag/
      pannier for it, which should hopefully be available this summer.

      Today I've strapped on a big rubbermaid container to make a run to the
      grocery store...

      Morgan

      > Cool. It looks like a hella stout platform. I'll be interested to
      > see what bags, etc., are developed for it, once it's been on the
      > market here a while.
      >
      > -- urbino
    • hemingandrew
      Message 2 of 13 , May 7, 2008
        Morgan,

        I'm just awaiting delivery of my Yuba.

        Tried the Xtracycle, thought it great, but wasn't keen on flexiness
        with passenger or Peapod for carrying littleone as it seemed a bit
        wobbly. (she was much better on rear deck, but I want to be able to
        strap her in as she's 3 1/2).

        I ordered Big Dummy frame set, but being UK based none of first lot
        made it over here. So since next lot are likely to be Sep before they
        get here I've plumped for the Yuba instead.

        I'm planning on putting low gearing and thinking about a hub motor. I
        know a through the gear system (ala Stokemonkey) is better for load
        carrying, but until there's a kit specifically for Yuba a hub seems
        the way to go.

        I'll be really interested to know how you get on with hub motor.
      • jseidenstein
        Message 3 of 13 , May 7, 2008
          How easy is it to attach the Xtracycle Free Rider bags to the Mundo?

          -- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:

          > I've heard some persistent rumors that Ortlieb is making a custom bag/
          > pannier for it, which should hopefully be available this summer.
          >
          > Today I've strapped on a big rubbermaid container to make a run to the
          > grocery store...
          >
          > Morgan
          >
          > > Cool. It looks like a hella stout platform. I'll be interested to
          > > see what bags, etc., are developed for it, once it's been on the
          > > market here a while.
          > >
          > > -- urbino

        • Morgan
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2008
            I looked at this today. It looks like the snapdeck would be
            easy to use on the Mundo. The freeloaders would require
            modification to fit on the Mundo. They have those eyelet/hoops
            that fit on the V-racks. On the Mundo, the rack is fixed, and
            so these couldn't be slid onto it the same way. However, if one
            was handy sewing, it would certainly be possible to modify
            them for that purpose.

            Morgan

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jseidenstein" <hummingjoni@...> wrote:

            > How easy is it to attach the Xtracycle Free Rider bags to the Mundo?

          • Devian Gilbert
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2008
              hey gang:

              I'm tellin ya guys... drill holes in those decks, like i did for that mod job
              and its so easy to simply lash down any duffel bag to the side.  just use sleeping bag straps.
              maybe a messenger bag would easily strap down to it.

              the FreeLoaders are ok, but what I'm mostly using them for now is to initially hold cargo, which is typically in a big cargo bag/duffel bag
              then i run a couple of straps thru the snapdeck, and around the frame and freeloaders.  this totally stops the freeloaders from any kind of swaying...
              10gal of water, and kitty litter... no swaying... strapped down.

              i wouldnt fret over the freeloader deal...

              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2008
                I've never had any kind of cargo bike, and I don't currently have any
                bikes. I'm trying to decide between the mundo and a townie xtracycle
                to use for trips to the farmers' market (where I expect to
                occasionally haul 125 lbs of produce) and the two issues with the
                mundo are the lack of bags and the adequacy of gears.

                Are you saying that you find the Freerider bags to be not that useful
                now that you have your system of strapping duffels down through the
                snap deck on your X? (Is there a picture?)

                I'm not sure a duffel is the right approach for transporting easily
                damaged fruits...but I guess I don't know that the freerider bags are
                the right approach either, really.

                Is the Mundo's rear frame exactly the same size as the Xtracycle frame
                so that the snapdeck fits the same way?

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>

                Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2008
                  i guess for fruit, it would be better to have a large box on either side of the bike?
                  would that be better?
                  the XtraCycle with WideLoaders will easily handle that. and there are a ton of plastic bucket type containers to choose from.
                  if you have a flat easy commute for farmers market, maybe you wouldn't even need to strap things down that well.

                  here's a bunch of pics

                  i'll do some pics of just duffel bags, in wideloaders, with straps going thru the snapdeck, etc.

                  with the holes in the deck, its much easier to cinch things down.

                  but fruit huh?  maybe a boxes, i guess...

                  d-

                  wrote:

                  > hey gang:
                  >
                  > I'm tellin ya guys... drill holes in those decks, like i did for that
                  > mod job
                  > and its so easy to simply lash down any duffel bag to the side. just
                  > use sleeping bag straps.
                  > maybe a messenger bag would easily strap down to it.
                  >
                  > the FreeLoaders are ok, but what I'm mostly using them for now is to
                  > initially hold cargo, which is typically in a big cargo bag/duffel bag
                  > then i run a couple of straps thru the snapdeck, and around the frame
                  > and freeloaders. this totally stops the freeloaders from any kind of
                  > swaying...
                  > 10gal of water, and kitty litter... no swaying... strapped down.
                  >
                  > i wouldnt fret over the freeloader deal...
                  >
                  > "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
                  > human race." H.G. Wells
                  > http://www.AsanaCyc les.com
                  >

                  > On May 8, 2008, at 6:32 PM, Morgan wrote:
                  >
                  > > I looked at this today. It looks like the snapdeck would be
                  > > easy to use on the Mundo. The freeloaders would require
                  > > modification to fit on the Mundo. They have those eyelet/hoops
                  > > that fit on the V-racks. On the Mundo, the rack is fixed, and
                  > > so these couldn't be slid onto it the same way. However, if one
                  > > was handy sewing, it would certainly be possible to modify
                  > > them for that purpose.
                  > >
                  > > Morgan
                  > >
                  > > --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "jseidenstein"
                  > > <hummingjoni@ > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > How easy is it to attach the Xtracycle Free Rider bags to the Mundo?

                • kwikfile08
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2008
                    Devian,

                    Great job with the holes in the SD. What size are they? The Copper ring is nice too. You
                    did the copper ring thing. Now in retrospect, do you think they are necessary? I am asking
                    because I may not have any copper pipe... Please send specs...

                    About the Yuba using Freeloaders - Use a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe. Just send it
                    through the top piece of the FL bag and secure the PVC pipe onto the top rack of the Yuba
                    rear. Maybe hose clamps from pep-Boys or big zip ties or even use screws in Yuba frame
                    and bolt the pipe down. Over time you may experience embrittlement from solar exposure
                    of the pipe.

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2008

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 9, 2008
                        This is a great idea, I may just try it soon. But so far, the
                        tupperware is working out pretty well. Plus, it's waterproof.

                        > About the Yuba using Freeloaders - Use a piece of schedule 40 PVC
                        > pipe. Just send it
                        > through the top piece of the FL bag and secure the PVC pipe onto the
                        > top rack of the Yuba
                        > rear. Maybe hose clamps from pep-Boys or big zip ties or even use
                        > screws in Yuba frame
                        > and bolt the pipe down. Over time you may experience embrittlement
                        > from solar exposure
                        > of the pipe.

                        Also, someone asked about the standover height of the Yuba, it is 26"
                        at the low point by the seat.

                        Morgan
                      • Susan
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 12, 2008
                          Personally I love the bags and very rarely use the top of the deck.
                          Not sure how I'd handle delicate produce, though.