The Yuba Mundo Cargo bike is here!

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2008
      Hey y'all,

      The Yuba Mundo cargo/sports utility bicycle has arrived.  This bike was built from the ground up to be a load hauler.  They were originally designed as part of the worldbike project, and now they've hit the USA as a low cost, heavy duty cargo carrier.

      Here is a video of some first impressions: http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=qcF8ceez-Ic (or on our blog, http://cycle9.com/Blog/files/YubaArrived.php)

      This is one beefy bike. It was advertised to be built for 400+ pounds of cargo (in addition to the rider!). And looking at the thing, I believe it. But it rides amazingly well for a nearly 50 lb bike. I took it out on my local singletrack this evening, and it handled really well. I almost prefer it to my Gary Fisher full suspension bike. The steel is pretty supple, so even though it has no suspension, I wasn't getting too jarred. About the only failing for offroad is the limited gear range. I had to push it up a few really steep hills. But soon I'll be pairing it with a hub motor, which should eliminate that concern. It is definitely more rigid than my Xtracycle setup when loaded.  I briefly rode with a 200 lb passenger on the back, and it didn't feel "noodly" like my Xtracycle does.

      I'll post more info on our website soon, http://cycle9.com

      Morgan
    • tda0818
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2008
        Cool. It looks like a hella stout platform. I'll be interested to
        see what bags, etc., are developed for it, once it's been on the
        market here a while.

        -- urbino

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:

        > Hey y'all,
        >
        > The Yuba Mundo cargo/sports utility bicycle has arrived. This bike
        > was built from the ground up to be a load hauler. They were
        > originally designed as part of the worldbike project, and now they've
        > hit the USA as a low cost, heavy duty cargo carrier.
        >
        > Here is a video of some first impressions:
        http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=qcF8ceez-Ic
        > (or on our blog, http://cycle9.com/Blog/files/YubaArrived.php)
        >
        > This is one beefy bike. It was advertised to be built for 400+ pounds
        > of cargo (in addition to the rider!). And looking at the thing, I
        > believe it. But it rides amazingly well for a nearly 50 lb bike. I
        > took it out on my local singletrack this evening, and it handled
        > really well. I almost prefer it to my Gary Fisher full suspension
        > bike. The steel is pretty supple, so even though it has no suspension,
        > I wasn't getting too jarred. About the only failing for offroad is the
        > limited gear range. I had to push it up a few really steep hills. But
        > soon I'll be pairing it with a hub motor, which should eliminate that
        > concern. It is definitely more rigid than my Xtracycle setup when
        > loaded. I briefly rode with a 200 lb passenger on the back, and it
        > didn't feel "noodly" like my Xtracycle does.
        >
        > I'll post more info on our website soon, http://cycle9.com
        >
        > Morgan

      • Morgan
        Message 3 of 13 , May 4, 2008

          I've heard some persistent rumors that Ortlieb is making a custom bag/
          pannier for it, which should hopefully be available this summer.

          Today I've strapped on a big rubbermaid container to make a run to the
          grocery store...

          Morgan

          > Cool. It looks like a hella stout platform. I'll be interested to
          > see what bags, etc., are developed for it, once it's been on the
          > market here a while.
          >
          > -- urbino
        • hemingandrew
          Message 4 of 13 , May 7, 2008
            Morgan,

            I'm just awaiting delivery of my Yuba.

            Tried the Xtracycle, thought it great, but wasn't keen on flexiness
            with passenger or Peapod for carrying littleone as it seemed a bit
            wobbly. (she was much better on rear deck, but I want to be able to
            strap her in as she's 3 1/2).

            I ordered Big Dummy frame set, but being UK based none of first lot
            made it over here. So since next lot are likely to be Sep before they
            get here I've plumped for the Yuba instead.

            I'm planning on putting low gearing and thinking about a hub motor. I
            know a through the gear system (ala Stokemonkey) is better for load
            carrying, but until there's a kit specifically for Yuba a hub seems
            the way to go.

            I'll be really interested to know how you get on with hub motor.
          • jseidenstein
            Message 5 of 13 , May 7, 2008
              How easy is it to attach the Xtracycle Free Rider bags to the Mundo?

              -- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:

              > I've heard some persistent rumors that Ortlieb is making a custom bag/
              > pannier for it, which should hopefully be available this summer.
              >
              > Today I've strapped on a big rubbermaid container to make a run to the
              > grocery store...
              >
              > Morgan
              >
              > > Cool. It looks like a hella stout platform. I'll be interested to
              > > see what bags, etc., are developed for it, once it's been on the
              > > market here a while.
              > >
              > > -- urbino

            • Morgan
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2008
                I looked at this today. It looks like the snapdeck would be
                easy to use on the Mundo. The freeloaders would require
                modification to fit on the Mundo. They have those eyelet/hoops
                that fit on the V-racks. On the Mundo, the rack is fixed, and
                so these couldn't be slid onto it the same way. However, if one
                was handy sewing, it would certainly be possible to modify
                them for that purpose.

                Morgan

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jseidenstein" <hummingjoni@...> wrote:

                > How easy is it to attach the Xtracycle Free Rider bags to the Mundo?

              • Devian Gilbert
                Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2008
                  hey gang:

                  I'm tellin ya guys... drill holes in those decks, like i did for that mod job
                  and its so easy to simply lash down any duffel bag to the side.  just use sleeping bag straps.
                  maybe a messenger bag would easily strap down to it.

                  the FreeLoaders are ok, but what I'm mostly using them for now is to initially hold cargo, which is typically in a big cargo bag/duffel bag
                  then i run a couple of straps thru the snapdeck, and around the frame and freeloaders.  this totally stops the freeloaders from any kind of swaying...
                  10gal of water, and kitty litter... no swaying... strapped down.

                  i wouldnt fret over the freeloader deal...

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2008
                    I've never had any kind of cargo bike, and I don't currently have any
                    bikes. I'm trying to decide between the mundo and a townie xtracycle
                    to use for trips to the farmers' market (where I expect to
                    occasionally haul 125 lbs of produce) and the two issues with the
                    mundo are the lack of bags and the adequacy of gears.

                    Are you saying that you find the Freerider bags to be not that useful
                    now that you have your system of strapping duffels down through the
                    snap deck on your X? (Is there a picture?)

                    I'm not sure a duffel is the right approach for transporting easily
                    damaged fruits...but I guess I don't know that the freerider bags are
                    the right approach either, really.

                    Is the Mundo's rear frame exactly the same size as the Xtracycle frame
                    so that the snapdeck fits the same way?

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...>

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2008
                      i guess for fruit, it would be better to have a large box on either side of the bike?
                      would that be better?
                      the XtraCycle with WideLoaders will easily handle that. and there are a ton of plastic bucket type containers to choose from.
                      if you have a flat easy commute for farmers market, maybe you wouldn't even need to strap things down that well.

                      here's a bunch of pics

                      i'll do some pics of just duffel bags, in wideloaders, with straps going thru the snapdeck, etc.

                      with the holes in the deck, its much easier to cinch things down.

                      but fruit huh?  maybe a boxes, i guess...

                      d-

                      wrote:

                      > hey gang:
                      >
                      > I'm tellin ya guys... drill holes in those decks, like i did for that
                      > mod job
                      > and its so easy to simply lash down any duffel bag to the side. just
                      > use sleeping bag straps.
                      > maybe a messenger bag would easily strap down to it.
                      >
                      > the FreeLoaders are ok, but what I'm mostly using them for now is to
                      > initially hold cargo, which is typically in a big cargo bag/duffel bag
                      > then i run a couple of straps thru the snapdeck, and around the frame
                      > and freeloaders. this totally stops the freeloaders from any kind of
                      > swaying...
                      > 10gal of water, and kitty litter... no swaying... strapped down.
                      >
                      > i wouldnt fret over the freeloader deal...
                      >
                      > "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
                      > human race." H.G. Wells
                      > http://www.AsanaCyc les.com
                      >

                      > On May 8, 2008, at 6:32 PM, Morgan wrote:
                      >
                      > > I looked at this today. It looks like the snapdeck would be
                      > > easy to use on the Mundo. The freeloaders would require
                      > > modification to fit on the Mundo. They have those eyelet/hoops
                      > > that fit on the V-racks. On the Mundo, the rack is fixed, and
                      > > so these couldn't be slid onto it the same way. However, if one
                      > > was handy sewing, it would certainly be possible to modify
                      > > them for that purpose.
                      > >
                      > > Morgan
                      > >
                      > > --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "jseidenstein"
                      > > <hummingjoni@ > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > How easy is it to attach the Xtracycle Free Rider bags to the Mundo?

                    • kwikfile08
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 8, 2008
                        Devian,

                        Great job with the holes in the SD. What size are they? The Copper ring is nice too. You
                        did the copper ring thing. Now in retrospect, do you think they are necessary? I am asking
                        because I may not have any copper pipe... Please send specs...

                        About the Yuba using Freeloaders - Use a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe. Just send it
                        through the top piece of the FL bag and secure the PVC pipe onto the top rack of the Yuba
                        rear. Maybe hose clamps from pep-Boys or big zip ties or even use screws in Yuba frame
                        and bolt the pipe down. Over time you may experience embrittlement from solar exposure
                        of the pipe.

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 8, 2008

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 9, 2008
                            This is a great idea, I may just try it soon. But so far, the
                            tupperware is working out pretty well. Plus, it's waterproof.

                            > About the Yuba using Freeloaders - Use a piece of schedule 40 PVC
                            > pipe. Just send it
                            > through the top piece of the FL bag and secure the PVC pipe onto the
                            > top rack of the Yuba
                            > rear. Maybe hose clamps from pep-Boys or big zip ties or even use
                            > screws in Yuba frame
                            > and bolt the pipe down. Over time you may experience embrittlement
                            > from solar exposure
                            > of the pipe.

                            Also, someone asked about the standover height of the Yuba, it is 26"
                            at the low point by the seat.

                            Morgan
                          • Susan
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 12, 2008
                              Personally I love the bags and very rarely use the top of the deck.
                              Not sure how I'd handle delicate produce, though.