Two things from Xtracycle

  • xtracycleinc
    Message 1 of 19 , May 3, 2008
      1. Anyone know anybody using an Xtracycle for construction/cabinet
      making, and making a living at it? If so, we have a trade magazine
      that would love to feature carpenters on Xtracycles.

      2. Check out a video documenting a Bay Area Xtracycle family camping
      adventure.

      Nate
      Xtracycle Inc.
    • xtracycleinc
      Message 2 of 19 , May 4, 2008
        The link for the video...

        http://www.kohr.org/biketrip

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "xtracycleinc" <ross@...> wrote:

        > 1. Anyone know anybody using an Xtracycle for construction/cabinet
        > making, and making a living at it? If so, we have a trade magazine
        > that would love to feature carpenters on Xtracycles.
        >
        > 2. Check out a video documenting a Bay Area Xtracycle family camping
        > adventure.
        >
        > Nate
        > Xtracycle Inc.

      • Joel Michaud
        Message 3 of 19 , May 5, 2008
          Hey Nate

          Iam a finishing carpenter and i ride my bike and now my new big dummy,
          almost everywhere i need to go. I work primarily in the downtown area
          of my city so i carry all of my gear on my bike through the streets. It
          really is a blessing to have the xtracycle, because i can now literally
          almost bike anywhere with all my gear!

          Let me know if i can help with anything or any info, it sounds neat!

          Joel.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "xtracycleinc" <ross@...> wrote:

          > 1. Anyone know anybody using an Xtracycle for construction/cabinet
          > making, and making a living at it? If so, we have a trade magazine
          > that would love to feature carpenters on Xtracycles.
          >
          > 2. Check out a video documenting a Bay Area Xtracycle family camping
          > adventure.
          >
          > Nate
          > Xtracycle Inc.

        • Mark Garvey
          Message 4 of 19 , May 6, 2008
            OK, I am  not a cabinet maker or a carpenter.  BUT!!!  I am a truck driver.  Here is the point. (and I do have one!)  I can ride my Xtracycle to work, remove the battery and charger from the bike and place them in the cab where I plug the charger into the inverter (changes 12 VDC to 126VAC) and charge my bike assist battery FOR FREE!  the truck produces power ANYWAY so why not use it???   The bike itself goes into the trailer.   Truck stops are notorious for being relatively remote to other facilities. If you want a decent meal, or anything else, you are sort of stuck unless you want to WALK a long way.   I generally stay behind a business that I am making deliveries to.  But then again, no real facilities!   If I want Ice for my cooler or to get food, I may have to go a few miles.  So the X works as a vehicle for my transportation.  It is MUCH easier than walking, and more fun too.  I can get aro7und nearly ANYWHERE in most cities.  My route is mostly in Iowa and I know almost all the places, but riding a bike 10 or 12 blocks is MUCHO easier than walking it!

            mark

            On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Joel Michaud <karith_manus@...> wrote:
            Hey Nate

            Iam a finishing carpenter and i ride my bike and now my new big dummy,
            almost everywhere i need to go. I work primarily in the downtown area
            of my city so i carry all of my gear on my bike through the streets. It
            really is a blessing to have the xtracycle, because i can now literally
            almost bike anywhere with all my gear!

            Let me know if i can help with anything or any info, it sounds neat!

            Joel.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "xtracycleinc" <ross@...> wrote:

            > 1. Anyone know anybody using an Xtracycle for construction/cabinet
            > making, and making a living at it?  If so, we have a trade magazine
            > that would love to feature carpenters on Xtracycles.
            >
            > 2.  Check out a video documenting a Bay Area Xtracycle family camping
            > adventure.
            >
            > Nate
            > Xtracycle Inc.

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu
          • Juergen Weichert
            Message 5 of 19 , May 6, 2008
              Mark - You are charging your bike battery with diesel.

              Use of the outlet and inverter increases the electrical load on your
              system and causes the alternator to draw more power from the engine
              rotation, which is powered by diesel. If you didn't plug in you would
              burn less fuel. Microscopic difference of course but I thought it might
              interest you.

              Cheers
              Juergen

              Mark Garvey wrote:

              > ...and charge my bike assist battery FOR FREE! the truck produces
              > power ANYWAY so why not use it???

            • Nate Byerley
              Message 6 of 19 , May 6, 2008
                A nominal amount of diesel no? Wattage of moving a truck 60mph vs.
                charging a battery must be on the order of 100:1 or 1000:1. Still
                carbon emitted nevertheless. Makes me think of many of the all
                electric cars I'm seeing around the East Bay that claim, stickers
                plastered across their fronts, sides, and rears, that they are ZERO
                EMISSION VEHICLE. If only such a thing existed.

                Nate
              • Juergen Weichert
                Message 7 of 19 , May 6, 2008
                  My electric vehicles are powered by wind power (20%) and low-impact
                  hydro (80%):
                  http://www.bullfrogpower.com/

                  zero-carbon ;-)

                  Juergen

                  Nate Byerley wrote:

                  > A nominal amount of diesel no? Wattage of moving a truck 60mph vs.
                  > charging a battery must be on the order of 100:1 or 1000:1. Still
                  > carbon emitted nevertheless. Makes me think of many of the all
                  > electric cars I'm seeing around the East Bay that claim, stickers
                  > plastered across their fronts, sides, and rears, that they are ZERO
                  > EMISSION VEHICLE. If only such a thing existed.
                  >
                  > Nate
                  >
                  > _
                • brian
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 7, 2008
                    Cool video, where is the camp spot? My wife and I are trying to
                    plan a short camping trip in the marin headlands/point reyes/mount
                    tam area. We've done some riding in the area but are not sure where
                    we should camp.-Brian

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 7, 2008
                      On 2008-05-06, at 11:53 PM, Nate Byerley wrote:
                      > Makes me think of many of the all
                      > electric cars I'm seeing around the East Bay that claim, stickers
                      > plastered across their fronts, sides, and rears, that they are ZERO
                      > EMISSION VEHICLE. If only such a thing existed.

                      And do note, we're not ZEV either -- riding a bike 50 miles/week adds
                      about one whole day of calorie-consumption to your week. Like the time
                      it takes to travel, it's shared with the exercise that you needed
                      anyway,
                      but it takes energy to produce that food. If you get your extra
                      calories
                      from plants, it's not a big deal, but if you eat mammals (especially
                      beef
                      or lamb) for the extra, it's about as bad as driving an SUV, per mile
                      (because it takes many calories of corn input to make one calorie of
                      edible beef). (Shrimp's bad, so is deep sea fish, chicken's not so bad,
                      neither is herring).

                      David
                    • Mighk Wilson
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 7, 2008
                        >> If you get your extra calories from plants, it's not a big deal, but
                        if you eat mammals (especially beef or lamb) for the extra, it's about
                        as bad as driving an SUV, per mile (because it takes many calories of
                        corn input to make one calorie of edible beef).<<

                        85 percent of the energy an internal combustion engine uses is wasted as
                        heat and friction, so I have a hard time believing meat-based calories
                        are anywhere near as bad.

                        The problem isn't meat (we have canines in our mouths for a reason),
                        it's that we just eat way too much of it. Protein is not used so much
                        for energy as for building and maintaining the body. Eating extra meat
                        isn't going to get you much farther down the road anyway; you need carbs
                        for that. (Yes, I know we can get protein from vegetable sources alone,
                        but it's challenging.) I recently heard it takes seven ounces of grain
                        to make one ounce of beef.

                        Mighk

                        "What a country calls its vital economic interests are not the things
                        which enable its citizens to live, but the things which enable it to
                        make war. Gasoline is much more likely than wheat to be a cause of
                        international conflict."
                        -- Simone Weil, 1949
                      • kwikfile08
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 7, 2008
                          How about Chilean Black Sea Bass?

                          Since there are about two left. Once they are gone and the species is
                          extinct, there will will be no worries about CO2 stuff intransporting
                          the Sea Bass from Chile to New York.

                          Along these lines has any thought been given to the Overseas Shipping
                          and transportation and manufacturing cost relative to CO2 and the like
                          in the Bicycling industry? Like think about all those Xtracycles and
                          Tires, and iPods and, and, and, to the AND-billion'th Power.
                          China to you name the locale is creating a "Boat Load" of CO2 and
                          pollution.

                          At the end of the day back to eating an Xtra days worth of food every
                          50 miles. Just think don't eat the Xtra days worth of food and simply
                          Loose the freakin weight. besides a LB of beef not eaten is equal to a
                          years worth of regular showers. Because cows drink a bunch of water
                          that was pumped from many miles away (usually) at least here in
                          California. In the end YES riding a bike is a whole lot better that
                          driving a car. There are many more things to look at than just Gas
                          emmisions, how about repairs, tires costs of shipping all the support
                          crud to make the whole mega-industry work. Shipping a car from Japan,
                          Korea, China et all uses more "stuff" than a sea land container full
                          of Xtracyles and iPods... some times thinking about all this stuff can
                          make you crazy.

                          > On 2008-05-06, at 11:53 PM, Nate Byerley wrote:
                          > > Makes me think of many of the all
                          > > electric cars I'm seeing around the East Bay that claim, stickers
                          > > plastered across their fronts, sides, and rears, that they are ZERO
                          > > EMISSION VEHICLE. If only such a thing existed.
                          > >
                          > And do note, we're not ZEV either -- riding a bike 50 miles/week adds
                          > about one whole day of calorie-consumption to your week. Like the time
                          > it takes to travel, it's shared with the exercise that you needed
                          > anyway,
                          > but it takes energy to produce that food. If you get your extra
                          > calories
                          > from plants, it's not a big deal, but if you eat mammals (especially
                          > beef
                          > or lamb) for the extra, it's about as bad as driving an SUV, per mile
                          > (because it takes many calories of corn input to make one calorie of
                          > edible beef). (Shrimp's bad, so is deep sea fish, chicken's not so bad,
                          > neither is herring).
                          >
                          > David

                        • Joel Michaud
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 7, 2008
                            Hey guys

                            This is a interesting topic. About the first question that was asked
                            here, id like to help with any info i can. It would be fun to let
                            other carpenters out there know that you dont have to drive around in
                            your big trucks to get things done. You can try it like i do, and
                            bike with all of you tools (for the most part), where you need to go.
                            Like i said id love to help with the article.

                            The meat discusion is also pretty neat. I my self am a vegeterian,
                            meaning i dont eat meat but sometimes have dairy. I chose this
                            lifestyle not really because of the emmissions but for other reasons
                            alltogether. But the more i hear about how inefficient the production
                            of animal goods is the more it makes sense to add it as another
                            reason to try and go vegeterian or at least try meat light.

                            Joel.

                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mighk Wilson" <mwilson@...>
                            wrote:

                            > >> If you get your extra calories from plants, it's not a big deal,
                            but
                            > if you eat mammals (especially beef or lamb) for the extra, it's
                            about
                            > as bad as driving an SUV, per mile (because it takes many calories
                            of
                            > corn input to make one calorie of edible beef).<<
                            >
                            > 85 percent of the energy an internal combustion engine uses is
                            wasted as
                            > heat and friction, so I have a hard time believing meat-based
                            calories
                            > are anywhere near as bad.
                            >
                            > The problem isn't meat (we have canines in our mouths for a reason),
                            > it's that we just eat way too much of it. Protein is not used so
                            much
                            > for energy as for building and maintaining the body. Eating extra
                            meat
                            > isn't going to get you much farther down the road anyway; you need
                            carbs
                            > for that. (Yes, I know we can get protein from vegetable sources
                            alone,
                            > but it's challenging.) I recently heard it takes seven ounces of
                            grain
                            > to make one ounce of beef.
                            >
                            > Mighk
                            >
                            > "What a country calls its vital economic interests are not the
                            things
                            > which enable its citizens to live, but the things which enable it to
                            > make war. Gasoline is much more likely than wheat to be a cause of
                            > international conflict."
                            > -- Simone Weil, 1949

                          • stoutag
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 8, 2008
                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Michaud"
                              <karith_manus@...> wrote:

                              > Hey guys
                              >
                              > This is a interesting topic. About the first question that was asked
                              > here, id like to help with any info i can. It would be fun to let
                              > other carpenters out there know that you dont have to drive around in
                              > your big trucks to get things done. You can try it like i do, and
                              > bike with all of you tools (for the most part), where you need to go.
                              > Like i said id love to help with the article.
                              >
                              > The meat discusion is also pretty neat. I my self am a vegeterian,
                              > meaning i dont eat meat but sometimes have dairy. I chose this
                              > lifestyle not really because of the emmissions but for other reasons
                              > alltogether. But the more i hear about how inefficient the production
                              > of animal goods is the more it makes sense to add it as another
                              > reason to try and go vegeterian or at least try meat light.
                              >
                              > Joel.
                              >
                              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mighk Wilson" <mwilson@>

                              > but
                              > > if you eat mammals (especially beef or lamb) for the extra, it's
                              > about
                              > > as bad as driving an SUV, per mile (because it takes many calories
                              > of
                              > > corn input to make one calorie of edible beef).<<
                              > >
                              > > 85 percent of the energy an internal combustion engine uses is
                              > wasted as
                              > > heat and friction, so I have a hard time believing meat-based
                              > calories
                              > > are anywhere near as bad.
                              > >
                              > > The problem isn't meat (we have canines in our mouths for a reason),
                              > > it's that we just eat way too much of it. Protein is not used so
                              > much
                              > > for energy as for building and maintaining the body. Eating extra
                              > meat
                              > > isn't going to get you much farther down the road anyway; you need
                              > carbs
                              > > for that. (Yes, I know we can get protein from vegetable sources
                              > alone,
                              > > but it's challenging.) I recently heard it takes seven ounces of
                              > grain
                              > > to make one ounce of beef.
                              > >
                              > > Mighk
                              > >
                              > > "What a country calls its vital economic interests are not the
                              > things
                              > > which enable its citizens to live, but the things which enable it to
                              > > make war. Gasoline is much more likely than wheat to be a cause of
                              > > international conflict."
                              > > -- Simone Weil, 1949

                              Some folks who like to be contrary and pro-cars like to make the
                              argument that cyclists in a worst case scenario are worse than a car
                              when total energy cycle is accounted for, but there are many
                              shortfalls in that argument.

                              I've crunched all these numbers independently to verify statements
                              like these awhile back. By and large we should all be exercising
                              anyway, for our own health and well being (how bout health care costs
                              of a sedentary obese society?). So if you would be exercising anyway
                              and if you do that while transporting yourself, then its basically
                              free in that sense.

                              By any unbiased report I've found and from my own numbers
                              realistically the worst case scenario for a cyclist is still about 6x
                              better than driving a hybrid, maybe 3x if you eat a LOT of meat. But
                              like I said if you'd be exercising anyway, and you now accomplish that
                              as transportation, it immediately makes that argument null and void.

                              This is however a good case for buying food locally grown as much as
                              possible, since most of the C02 emissions we'd be talking about are
                              from the transport of the food used to fuel our bodies. So if you
                              have the option, support your local farmers markets, and if you're
                              feeling really inspired you can become vegetarians too :)
                            • kwikfile08
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 8, 2008
                                I wanted to ease up on Mark.

                                Think about it - are xtracycles came in to our homes via TRUCK.
                                TRUCKS are a necessary element even in a Car free world. The dude is
                                out there riding an X everywhere. spreading the WORD via example.
                                Unless you are absolutely CAR FREE. No ONLINE shoppers too, then maybe
                                just maybe you can bag on this dude!

                                WAY TO GO MARK! I have a soft spot for TRUCKERS because I grew up on
                                "MOVIN' ON" in the 1970's and built Peter Built models all the time.
                                And mostly the truckers throw me and my X the respect out there on the
                                road. BIG WHEELS TURNIN' MOVIN ON MY X, GOT TO KEEP THEM ROOLIN'

                                Peace and namaste'

                                Carl

                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

                                > OK, I am not a cabinet maker or a carpenter. BUT!!! I am a truck
                                driver.
                                > Here is the point. (and I do have one!) I can ride my Xtracycle to
                                work,
                                > remove the battery and charger from the bike and place them in the
                                cab where
                                > I plug the charger into the inverter (changes 12 VDC to 126VAC) and
                                charge
                                > my bike assist battery FOR FREE! the truck produces power ANYWAY so
                                why not
                                > use it??? The bike itself goes into the trailer. Truck stops are
                                > notorious for being relatively remote to other facilities. If you want a
                                > decent meal, or anything else, you are sort of stuck unless you want
                                to WALK
                                > a long way. I generally stay behind a business that I am making
                                deliveries
                                > to. But then again, no real facilities! If I want Ice for my
                                cooler or to
                                > get food, I may have to go a few miles. So the X works as a vehicle
                                for my
                                > transportation. It is MUCH easier than walking, and more fun too.
                                I can
                                > get aro7und nearly ANYWHERE in most cities. My route is mostly in
                                Iowa and
                                > I know almost all the places, but riding a bike 10 or 12 blocks is MUCHO
                                > easier than walking it!
                                >
                                > mark
                                >
                                > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Joel Michaud <karith_manus@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                > > Hey Nate
                                > >
                                > > Iam a finishing carpenter and i ride my bike and now my new big dummy,
                                > > almost everywhere i need to go. I work primarily in the downtown area
                                > > of my city so i carry all of my gear on my bike through the
                                streets. It
                                > > really is a blessing to have the xtracycle, because i can now
                                literally
                                > > almost bike anywhere with all my gear!
                                > >
                                > > Let me know if i can help with anything or any info, it sounds neat!
                                > >
                                > > Joel.
                                > >

                                > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "xtracycleinc" <ross@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > 1. Anyone know anybody using an Xtracycle for construction/cabinet
                                > > > making, and making a living at it? If so, we have a trade magazine
                                > > > that would love to feature carpenters on Xtracycles.
                                > > >
                                > > > 2. Check out a video documenting a Bay Area Xtracycle family
                                camping
                                > > > adventure.
                                > > >
                                > > > Nate
                                > > > Xtracycle Inc.
                                > > >

                                > > ------------------------------------
                                > >
                                > > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
                                Xtracycle roots
                                > > radical.

                                > > ride to believe.Yahoo! Groups Links
                                > >

                                > --
                                > Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and
                                feed him
                                > for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is
                                stupid
                                > and boring. –Desmond Tutu

                              • Mark Garvey
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 8, 2008
                                  What you say is technically true...On the other hand, the truck has to run ANYWAY so it isn't like I am really drawing a lot more current.

                                  The other point here is that when I work in the warehouse, I plug into the shop electricity. I offered to pay for it, but Boss said, "fuggeddabouddit!".

                                  At the presen5t time my solar charger has an open circut and I am looking for a new set of panels that I can afford.  But I CAN charge from solar and using the truck is probably less additional pollution than plugging into the wall anyway.

                                  But I don't worry about it much!

                                  mark

                                  Mark Garvey wrote:

                                  > ...and charge my bike assist battery FOR FREE!  the truck produces
                                  > power ANYWAY so why not use it???

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                     Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:

                                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  --
                                  Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu
                                • Bruce Alan Wilson
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 8, 2008
                                    Re: Two things from Xtracycle

                                    Those of us with diabetes can't eat large amounts of carbs.  Carbs send the blood sugar up, and we have to take all sorts of nasty drugs to lower them again.  Best not to let the blood sugar go up in the first place.  See "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" for further information.

                                    Bruce Alan Wilson

                                  • Sean Moore
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 8, 2008
                                      Hey Mark,

                                      Out of curiosity, what do those trucks suck down per hour (GPH) at idle?  Your inverter isn't touching a 300HP engine at idle, I'd guess that a single dirty injector would cause the thing to use more fuel than the inverter does.

                                      On another note, you may be able to get a DC charger for your battery when that inverter dies, IIRC the inverter circuit is fairly expensive.

                                      Mark Garvey wrote:

                                      > ...and charge my bike assist battery FOR FREE!  the truck produces
                                      > power ANYWAY so why not use it???

                                      <*> Your email settings:
                                         Individual Email | Traditional

                                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                                         (Yahoo! ID required)

                                      <*> To change settings via email:

                                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                      --
                                      Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu

                                      --
                                      Sean Moore
                                      moore.sean@...
                                    • Sean Moore
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 8, 2008
                                        Oh yeah, duh, almost forgot:

                                        Mark is using absolutely zero "extra" fuel when charging while underway.  The alternator system will almost invariably produce more power than the electrical system is using at any given moment, since it's got to run the electrical system at idle.  There is excess electricity simply not being used most of the time.

                                        Don't hate, please.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 9, 2008
                                          I am running a Cat that produces an HONEST 500 hp.  It isn't a sports car obviously!  But it DOES like to go! (13 speed Eaton-Fuller.  I am getting about 5.8-5.9 mpg average on the road and when idling it burns about 1 gph pr so.  The only reason that I run the engine overnight is when I need heat or cooling.  We are exploring the idea of supplimentary generators that will help with heat and cooling when it is undesirable to use the main engine.  SOME truck stops have plug in power available,  though if you are a nutcase like I am, who avoids truckstops whenever possible, this is not really a choice.  I am thinking of taking my tent along when the weather is suitable...But at the same time, The sleeper is pretty cozy really!  My friend (also named Mark) likes to have the A/C turned up so high in the summer that you can see your breath in the sleeper. In reality, I do not believe that the A/C produces much drag on the Cats!  I have never noticed an RPM drop when it kicks in!

                                          mark