Re: Burning Man

  • Kurtheru
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 29, 2008
      Ha! Of this I know having recently finished rebuilding 4 bikes that
      were at BurningMan last year: EVERY bearing set and moving part
      (headset, crank, wheels, freewheels, cassettes, hubs, pedals,
      whathaveyou) has to be pulled, solvent cleaned, relubed and reinstalled
      or face terminal corrosion. Chains, if they were well lubed before
      going can be thoroughly cleaned promptly and relubed for another
      year...otherwise new chains too. It was a blindingly dusty gusty year
      out there last year and that fine corrosive powdery playa got driven
      deep into everything. Yeps, not a place for pretty new bikes. Gnarly
      well-broken-in beater bikes with good lube do best. (and a BigDummy
      would get attention but be a theft target too!)