Re: Stoked Urban Assault Xtracycle

  • karpaydiem
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 4, 2006
      Found the tandem stem used on eBay. It says "System 2 Components" on
      the side. Then I just bought a cheap shortie alloy bar from my LBS,
      hacksawed it to the length and voila.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@...>
      wrote:

      > What about the stoker handlebar?

    • katethelizard
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 6, 2006
        Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
        I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
        box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?

        Thanks for sharing all this!

        Kate
      • Ben Rosenthal
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 6, 2006
          Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
          battery box.

          On 6 Jul 2006, at 17:51, katethelizard wrote:

          > Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
          > I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
          > box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?
          >
          > Thanks for sharing all this!
          >
          > Kate
        • karpaydiem
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 9, 2006
            Yeah, Todd at www.cleverchimp.com developed these as a prototype. I
            don't know if he will offer them as an option in the future, but the
            last time I checked, he felt they were too expensive for much of a
            market. Just too darned much hand work in them. Sure, somebody
            (Rubbermaid?) could mold them out of plastic, but wood is prettier.

            The box, affectionately dubbed, "The Woodie" is made of steam-bent
            high quality marine plywood, veneered with quarter-sawn oak. The lid
            is held in place with a lockable latch and embedded magnets keep it
            from rattling. Mine houses two li-poly batteries, the controller, a
            36VDC to 12VDC converter, fuses, connectors, wires, and, on the
            bottom, two female Neutrik connectors into which I plug the lead from
            the motor.

            People and cargo can go on top, the same as the stock Snapdeck. The
            increased height of about 4 inches makes reaching the Footsies
            uncomfortable for shorter passengers.

            I like the box because it secures the batteries and controller from
            theft and weather and it frees the bags for cargo. Besides, I pretty
            much like anything that's well-made out of wood.

            wrote:

            > Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
            > battery box.
            >
            > On 6 Jul 2006, at 17:51, katethelizard wrote:
            >
            > > Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
            > > I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
            > > box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?
            > >
            > > Thanks for sharing all this!
            > >
            > > Kate

          • Ryano
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 9, 2006
              Don't mean to bag you steed, but one other issue with this set-up is that it detracts from one important beauty of the xtracycle design - that passenger/luggage weight is reasonably low, giving you (the rider) more leverage to balance your passenger easily, even with a heavy load.   By sticking a battery under there, you raise them up higher, making the package less stable (not to mention you don't get as much exercise ;-)

              wrote:

              > Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
              > battery box.
              >
              > On 6 Jul 2006, at 17:51, katethelizard wrote:
              >
              > > Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
              > > I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
              > > box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?
              > >
              > > Thanks for sharing all this!
              > >
              > > Kate

            • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 11, 2006
                Message
                I finally was able to see those pictures on the site.  Awesome setup.

                Have you weighed it?  It looks like a tank.  I'm pretty sure if you got into a fender bender with anything smaller than a sedan, you'd probably come out the victor. :)

                More pictures of "The Woodie" would be awesome.

                wrote:

                > Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
                > battery box.
                >
                > On 6 Jul 2006, at 17:51, katethelizard wrote:
                >
                > > Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
                > > I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
                > > box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?
                > >
                > > Thanks for sharing all this!
                > >
                > > Kate

              • Ben Rosenthal

                  wrote:

                  > Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
                  > battery box.
                  >
                  > On 6 Jul 2006, at 17:51, katethelizard wrote:
                  >
                  > > Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
                  > > I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
                  > > box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for sharing all this!
                  > >
                  > > Kate

                • Juergen Weichert
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 12, 2006
                    Ryano wrote:
                    > Don't mean to bag you steed, but one other issue with this set-up is
                    > that it detracts from one important beauty of the xtracycle design -
                    > that passenger/luggage weight is reasonably low, giving you (the
                    > rider) more leverage to balance your passenger easily, even with a
                    > heavy load. By sticking a battery under there, you raise them up
                    > higher, making the package less stable (not to mention you don't get
                    > as much exercise ;-)

                    Paradoxically...

                    A higher center of gravity on a bike makes it MORE stable when riding.
                    This is why tall-bikes are so easy to ride and why low-racers fall and
                    over so quickly.

                    A high center of gravity makes a bike harder to load and unload, as well
                    as usually more difficult to move around when NOT riding. Once in motion
                    the story changes.

                    http://vic.gedris.org/pics/2002-11-16/MD-2002-11-16-029.html
                    http://tricolour.net/photos/2003/07/13/11-20-54.html

                    Juergen
                  • karpaydiem
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 13, 2006
                      In my experience, Ryano, your theory doesn't prove out. I can haul
                      passengers with as much ease as when I had the stock Snapdeck in
                      place. And with the hills of San Francisco, I get plenty of exercise
                      as I routinely haul about 30 lbs. of stuff for my job between 25 and
                      40 miles a day. A pedalled stock Xtracycle bike certainly has its
                      place, but it doesn't meet my needs. YMMV.

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ryano <ryantokyo@...> wrote:

                      > Don't mean to bag you steed, but one other issue with this set-up is
                      that it
                      > detracts from one important beauty of the xtracycle design - that
                      > passenger/luggage weight is reasonably low, giving you (the rider) more
                      > leverage to balance your passenger easily, even with a heavy load. By
                      > sticking a battery under there, you raise them up higher, making the
                      package
                      > less stable (not to mention you don't get as much exercise ;-)
                      >

                      > On 10/07/06, karpaydiem <karpaydiem@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Yeah, Todd at www.cleverchimp.com developed these as a prototype. I
                      > > don't know if he will offer them as an option in the future, but the
                      > > last time I checked, he felt they were too expensive for much of a
                      > > market. Just too darned much hand work in them. Sure, somebody
                      > > (Rubbermaid?) could mold them out of plastic, but wood is prettier.
                      > >
                      > > The box, affectionately dubbed, "The Woodie" is made of steam-bent
                      > > high quality marine plywood, veneered with quarter-sawn oak. The lid
                      > > is held in place with a lockable latch and embedded magnets keep it
                      > > from rattling. Mine houses two li-poly batteries, the controller, a
                      > > 36VDC to 12VDC converter, fuses, connectors, wires, and, on the
                      > > bottom, two female Neutrik connectors into which I plug the lead from
                      > > the motor.
                      > >
                      > > People and cargo can go on top, the same as the stock Snapdeck. The
                      > > increased height of about 4 inches makes reaching the Footsies
                      > > uncomfortable for shorter passengers.
                      > >
                      > > I like the box because it secures the batteries and controller from
                      > > theft and weather and it frees the bags for cargo. Besides, I pretty
                      > > much like anything that's well-made out of wood.
                      > >

                      > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                      <rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>,

                    • BlueFrogPrpleDog@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006
                        I did some reading on that Stoke Monkey at the cleverchimp.com web site and
                        I think it's really neat that it's designed so that you are constantly
                        pedaling and must constantly pedal and that the battery really only kicks in to
                        help with tough hills and so forth... am I correct? So, technically, you can go
                        at your own power at will and then let the battery kick in when you need it
                        most? Is this correct? This is fascinating to me because it could be a
                        great answer for folks with bad knees who still love touring! Plus, it's
                        fascinating to me because I'm not as young as I once was and when my FreeRad is
                        fully loaded, and my youngest is on the snap deck, and we're pulling a loaded
                        trailer (plus my huge butt alone) and we come upon a hill that is sandy, I'm
                        struggling! I've never been able to master gears too well. Am I correct? Is
                        the Stoke Monkey designed to just give you that extra umph when you need it
                        most?

                        In a message dated 7/14/2006 2:38:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        karpaydiem@... writes:
                        In my experience, Ryano, your theory doesn't prove out. I can haul
                        passengers with as much ease as when I had the stock Snapdeck in
                        place. And with the hills of San Francisco, I get plenty of exercise
                        as I routinely haul about 30 lbs. of stuff for my job between 25 and
                        40 miles a day. A pedalled stock Xtracycle bike certainly has its
                        place, but it doesn't meet my needs. YMMV.

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ryano <ryantokyo@...> wrote:

                        > Don't mean to bag you steed, but one other issue with this set-up is
                        that it
                        > detracts from one important beauty of the xtracycle design - that
                        > passenger/luggage weight is reasonably low, giving you (the rider) more
                        > leverage to balance your passenger easily, even with a heavy load. By
                        > sticking a battery under there, you raise them up higher, making the
                        package
                        > less stable (not to mention you don't get as much exercise ;-)
                        >

                        > On 10/07/06, karpaydiem <karpaydiem@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Yeah, Todd at www.cleverchimp.com developed these as a prototype. I
                        > > don't know if he will offer them as an option in the future, but the
                        > > last time I checked, he felt they were too expensive for much of a
                        > > market. Just too darned much hand work in them. Sure, somebody
                        > > (Rubbermaid?) could mold them out of plastic, but wood is prettier.
                        > >
                        > > The box, affectionately dubbed, "The Woodie" is made of steam-bent
                        > > high quality marine plywood, veneered with quarter-sawn oak. The lid
                        > > is held in place with a lockable latch and embedded magnets keep it
                        > > from rattling. Mine houses two li-poly batteries, the controller, a
                        > > 36VDC to 12VDC converter, fuses, connectors, wires, and, on the
                        > > bottom, two female Neutrik connectors into which I plug the lead from
                        > > the motor.
                        > >
                        > > People and cargo can go on top, the same as the stock Snapdeck. The
                        > > increased height of about 4 inches makes reaching the Footsies
                        > > uncomfortable for shorter passengers.
                        > >
                        > > I like the box because it secures the batteries and controller from
                        > > theft and weather and it frees the bags for cargo. Besides, I pretty
                        > > much like anything that's well-made out of wood.
                        > >

                        > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                        <rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > > Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
                        > > > battery box.

                        Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design.
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/vEfwlB/TM

                        You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots
                        radical.

                        ride to believe.
                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • todd fahrner
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006
                          On Jul 14, 2006, at 5:44 AM, BlueFrogPrpleDog@... wrote:

                          > I did some reading on that Stoke Monkey at the cleverchimp.com web
                          > site and
                          > I think it's really neat that it's designed so that you are
                          > constantly
                          > pedaling and must constantly pedal and that the battery really
                          > only kicks in to
                          > help with tough hills and so forth... am I correct?

                          You must pedal in time with the motor whenever you engage it, yes.
                          You can, of course, coast as usual, but there's no "powered
                          coasting." The assist doesn't "kick in" of its own accord: you turn
                          the throttle to get help whenever you want/need it. The rest of the
                          time, it's just dead weight on the bike, with no effect on normal
                          pedaling efficiency or technique.

                          > So, technically, you can go
                          > at your own power at will and then let the battery kick in when
                          > you need it
                          > most? Is this correct?

                          You control when and how much help the motor provides. You can use it
                          continually if you want, or spread it out over a long day; it's up to
                          you.

                          > This is fascinating to me because it could be a
                          > great answer for folks with bad knees who still love touring!
                          > Plus, it's
                          > fascinating to me because I'm not as young as I once was and when
                          > my FreeRad is
                          > fully loaded, and my youngest is on the snap deck, and we're
                          > pulling a loaded
                          > trailer (plus my huge butt alone) and we come upon a hill that is
                          > sandy, I'm
                          > struggling! I've never been able to master gears too well. Am I
                          > correct? Is
                          > the Stoke Monkey designed to just give you that extra umph when
                          > you need it
                          > most?

                          I designed it to let me haul my family around San Francisco hills
                          without destroying my sketchy knees. It works that way, yes. But you
                          can also use it to go fast, with little or no load, and arrive
                          without being covered in sweat.

                          I'm not sure I'd recommend it for touring, at least not for what I
                          understand by touring (multiple-day treks, camping, long days, no
                          hurry). It takes a lot of discipline not to use the motor semi-
                          continuously. For this reason I think it is somewhat at odds with the
                          ethos of most recreational riding, where your own strength and pain
                          tolerance limits the pace in a way that's ultimately enjoyable, and
                          that makes you stronger. Beyond a certain range, the added weight and
                          bulk of the system becomes a liability. I wouldn't want to plan my
                          tour around recharging opportunities, though I could see it for fast
                          solo "credit card" touring, maybe.

                          I think it shines brightest for utility trips up to a couple hours,
                          where you need to cover more ground or carry more stuff than you
                          could really enjoy without help, or a car. I definitely wouldn't
                          recommend Stokemonkey for your only bike, because it's overkill for a
                          lot of riding that could be enjoyed more simply on a regular bike,
                          and while it's fun, it's fun in a different way than regular riding,
                          and you'd miss the old fun. Part of that old fun is social -- riding
                          with others -- and Stokemonkey puts you in a different headspace than
                          unassisted riders; either you go too fast for them, or you hardly
                          work at all just matching their pace.

                          --
                          Todd Fahrner
                          Instigator, Cleverchimp LLC