Re: [rootsradicals] Re: recycling prudence

  • phaedrus
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 23, 2008
      There have been a lot of good reasons given for why to sell the car
      rather than junking it.

      However, to offer a counter point of view, I think the biggest
      advantage to junking it is the symbolism.

      In part, for you - once you've accepted money to junk your car, there
      will be an extra mental barrier for you in buying another car down the
      road because to do so would, to a point, be cheating the person who
      paid you to take your last one off the road.

      Also, in part, for other people. "Hey, here's a guy who's so
      committed to going car free that he's scrapping his car. Maybe I can
      start using mine a bit less." This bit stands the most chance of
      having an impact if you do a good job of promoting your
      demolishistration and the eBay approach could be a brilliant part of
      that. To add to the impact of the auction might I suggest stating
      your intention to donate any proceeds over the blue book value of the
      car to your preferred environmentalism related charity?

      Anyway, unless the thing is burning oil like crazy and leaking out the
      muffler horribly, from an actual resource use point of view, everyone
      else is right, its likely better to sell than scrap. However, with
      proper promotion, I think scrapping could have a greater overall
      impact.

      - phaedrus