Stoked Urban Assault Xtracycle

  • karpaydiem
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 4, 2006
      Posted some pics of my Stokemonkey rig here:

      http://tinyurl.com/qyr7k

      - Bill
    • Ben Rosenthal
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 4, 2006
        That looks awesome! I'm interested in more info about some of your upgrades, Bill. Like that enhanced kickstand operation and those great handlebars. Will you post more written details about the upgrades?

        Thanks!

        - Ben
        Alive (and Kicking) to Save the Planet

      • BlueFrogPrpleDog@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 4, 2006
          What a perfect setup!!!!!!!!!  Do you mind sharing detailed instructions?  Including where you got your parts?  That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

          In a message dated 7/4/2006 11:08:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, karpaydiem@... writes:
          Posted some pics of my Stokemonkey rig here:

          http://tinyurl.com/qyr7k

        • Derek
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 4, 2006
            That is beautiful!!
            I love the "what gas prices" sticker. Where did you pick that up at??

            Great great fun!

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "karpaydiem" <karpaydiem@...> wrote:

            > Posted some pics of my Stokemonkey rig here:
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/qyr7k
            >
            > - Bill

          • karpaydiem
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 4, 2006
              >Do you mind sharing detailed instructions?
              > Including where you got your parts?

              That's a long reply!

              Surly Instigator frame bought used off eBay.

              Front forks are White Brothers Downhill bought used off a Google
              search from a guy in Canada.

              Hope front brake and Magura Gustav rear bought online through Google
              searches. Different brands just to explore differences: both have
              proven to be very good stoppers.

              Handlebars are from here: http://tinyurl.com/p9le4 The HiRise bars
              shown are alloy but he has them also in steel which is what I got.

              Ergonomic grips have really helped my hands. http://tinyurl.com/ruoxo

              The 60T chainring is Sugino from www.cleverchimp.com who also sells
              the motor mount, motor, contoller, throttle, batteries and battery
              box. Todd was a great resource.

              The motor's freewheel is White Industries ENO Heavy Duty after a
              Shimano failed.

              The kickstand was homemade from a motorcycle junkyard after two
              aluminum stands failed. Haven't quite got the spring function dialed
              in: hence the bungee cord, which is working well enough.

              Gearing supplied by Rohloff from Sheldon Brown.

              I built up this machine to be as strong as I could after being almost
              killed by a fork crown failure. The forks, for example, are certainly
              overkill, but it's what it took for me to feel safe again.

              As I spent considerable money on this, I just kept repeating my
              mantra: "It's not a car. It's not a car. It's not a car." which seemed
              to help.

              That covers the basics. It was a fun project and even more fun to ride.

              Thanks for looking,
              Bill

              PS: Added some of the photos to this site.
            • karpaydiem
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 4, 2006
                Made it with my laser printer and a sheet protector.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Derek" <derekjpearson@...> wrote:

                > That is beautiful!!
                > I love the "what gas prices" sticker. Where did you pick that up at??
                >
                > Great great fun!
                >

                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "karpaydiem" <karpaydiem@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Posted some pics of my Stokemonkey rig here:
                > >
                > > http://tinyurl.com/qyr7k
                > >
                > > - Bill

              • Ben Rosenthal
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 4, 2006
                  What about the stoker handlebar?

                  On 5 Jul 2006, at 0:06, karpaydiem wrote:

                  >> Do you mind sharing detailed instructions?
                  >> Including where you got your parts?
                  >
                  > That's a long reply!
                  >
                  > Surly Instigator frame bought used off eBay.
                  >
                  > Front forks are White Brothers Downhill bought used off a Google
                  > search from a guy in Canada.
                  >
                  > Hope front brake and Magura Gustav rear bought online through Google
                  > searches. Different brands just to explore differences: both have
                  > proven to be very good stoppers.
                  >
                  > Handlebars are from here: http://tinyurl.com/p9le4 The HiRise bars
                  > shown are alloy but he has them also in steel which is what I got.
                  >
                  > Ergonomic grips have really helped my hands. http://tinyurl.com/ruoxo
                  >
                  > The 60T chainring is Sugino from www.cleverchimp.com who also sells
                  > the motor mount, motor, contoller, throttle, batteries and battery
                  > box. Todd was a great resource.
                  >
                  > The motor's freewheel is White Industries ENO Heavy Duty after a
                  > Shimano failed.
                  >
                  > The kickstand was homemade from a motorcycle junkyard after two
                  > aluminum stands failed. Haven't quite got the spring function dialed
                  > in: hence the bungee cord, which is working well enough.
                  >
                  > Gearing supplied by Rohloff from Sheldon Brown.
                  >
                  > I built up this machine to be as strong as I could after being almost
                  > killed by a fork crown failure. The forks, for example, are certainly
                  > overkill, but it's what it took for me to feel safe again.
                  >
                  > As I spent considerable money on this, I just kept repeating my
                  > mantra: "It's not a car. It's not a car. It's not a car." which seemed
                  > to help.
                  >
                  > That covers the basics. It was a fun project and even more fun to
                  > ride.
                  >
                  > Thanks for looking,
                  > Bill
                  >
                  > PS: Added some of the photos to this site.

                  > ~-->
                  > Check out the new improvements in Yahoo! Groups email.
                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/vEfwlB/TM
                  > ~->
                  >
                  > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
                  > Xtracycle roots radical.

                  > ride to believe.
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • karpaydiem
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 4, 2006
                    Found the tandem stem used on eBay. It says "System 2 Components" on
                    the side. Then I just bought a cheap shortie alloy bar from my LBS,
                    hacksawed it to the length and voila.

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@...>
                    wrote:

                    > What about the stoker handlebar?

                  • katethelizard
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 6, 2006
                      Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
                      I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
                      box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?

                      Thanks for sharing all this!

                      Kate
                    • Ben Rosenthal
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 6, 2006
                        Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
                        battery box.

                        On 6 Jul 2006, at 17:51, katethelizard wrote:

                        > Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
                        > I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
                        > box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?
                        >
                        > Thanks for sharing all this!
                        >
                        > Kate
                      • karpaydiem
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 9, 2006
                          Yeah, Todd at www.cleverchimp.com developed these as a prototype. I
                          don't know if he will offer them as an option in the future, but the
                          last time I checked, he felt they were too expensive for much of a
                          market. Just too darned much hand work in them. Sure, somebody
                          (Rubbermaid?) could mold them out of plastic, but wood is prettier.

                          The box, affectionately dubbed, "The Woodie" is made of steam-bent
                          high quality marine plywood, veneered with quarter-sawn oak. The lid
                          is held in place with a lockable latch and embedded magnets keep it
                          from rattling. Mine houses two li-poly batteries, the controller, a
                          36VDC to 12VDC converter, fuses, connectors, wires, and, on the
                          bottom, two female Neutrik connectors into which I plug the lead from
                          the motor.

                          People and cargo can go on top, the same as the stock Snapdeck. The
                          increased height of about 4 inches makes reaching the Footsies
                          uncomfortable for shorter passengers.

                          I like the box because it secures the batteries and controller from
                          theft and weather and it frees the bags for cargo. Besides, I pretty
                          much like anything that's well-made out of wood.

                          wrote:

                          > Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
                          > battery box.
                          >
                          > On 6 Jul 2006, at 17:51, katethelizard wrote:
                          >
                          > > Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
                          > > I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
                          > > box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for sharing all this!
                          > >
                          > > Kate

                        • Ryano
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 9, 2006
                            Don't mean to bag you steed, but one other issue with this set-up is that it detracts from one important beauty of the xtracycle design - that passenger/luggage weight is reasonably low, giving you (the rider) more leverage to balance your passenger easily, even with a heavy load.   By sticking a battery under there, you raise them up higher, making the package less stable (not to mention you don't get as much exercise ;-)

                            wrote:

                            > Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
                            > battery box.
                            >
                            > On 6 Jul 2006, at 17:51, katethelizard wrote:
                            >
                            > > Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
                            > > I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
                            > > box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for sharing all this!
                            > >
                            > > Kate

                          • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 11, 2006
                              Message
                              I finally was able to see those pictures on the site.  Awesome setup.

                              Have you weighed it?  It looks like a tank.  I'm pretty sure if you got into a fender bender with anything smaller than a sedan, you'd probably come out the victor. :)

                              More pictures of "The Woodie" would be awesome.

                              wrote:

                              > Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
                              > battery box.
                              >
                              > On 6 Jul 2006, at 17:51, katethelizard wrote:
                              >
                              > > Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
                              > > I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
                              > > box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks for sharing all this!
                              > >
                              > > Kate

                            • Ben Rosenthal

                                wrote:

                                > Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
                                > battery box.
                                >
                                > On 6 Jul 2006, at 17:51, katethelizard wrote:
                                >
                                > > Beautifunky setup! What about the box on the snapdeck and the battery?
                                > > I'd love to know where you got the plastic (looks like) to build the
                                > > box, and what goes on inside it, and can it carry cargo/people on top?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks for sharing all this!
                                > >
                                > > Kate

                              • Juergen Weichert
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 12, 2006
                                  Ryano wrote:
                                  > Don't mean to bag you steed, but one other issue with this set-up is
                                  > that it detracts from one important beauty of the xtracycle design -
                                  > that passenger/luggage weight is reasonably low, giving you (the
                                  > rider) more leverage to balance your passenger easily, even with a
                                  > heavy load. By sticking a battery under there, you raise them up
                                  > higher, making the package less stable (not to mention you don't get
                                  > as much exercise ;-)

                                  Paradoxically...

                                  A higher center of gravity on a bike makes it MORE stable when riding.
                                  This is why tall-bikes are so easy to ride and why low-racers fall and
                                  over so quickly.

                                  A high center of gravity makes a bike harder to load and unload, as well
                                  as usually more difficult to move around when NOT riding. Once in motion
                                  the story changes.

                                  http://vic.gedris.org/pics/2002-11-16/MD-2002-11-16-029.html
                                  http://tricolour.net/photos/2003/07/13/11-20-54.html

                                  Juergen
                                • karpaydiem
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 13, 2006
                                    In my experience, Ryano, your theory doesn't prove out. I can haul
                                    passengers with as much ease as when I had the stock Snapdeck in
                                    place. And with the hills of San Francisco, I get plenty of exercise
                                    as I routinely haul about 30 lbs. of stuff for my job between 25 and
                                    40 miles a day. A pedalled stock Xtracycle bike certainly has its
                                    place, but it doesn't meet my needs. YMMV.

                                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ryano <ryantokyo@...> wrote:

                                    > Don't mean to bag you steed, but one other issue with this set-up is
                                    that it
                                    > detracts from one important beauty of the xtracycle design - that
                                    > passenger/luggage weight is reasonably low, giving you (the rider) more
                                    > leverage to balance your passenger easily, even with a heavy load. By
                                    > sticking a battery under there, you raise them up higher, making the
                                    package
                                    > less stable (not to mention you don't get as much exercise ;-)
                                    >

                                    > On 10/07/06, karpaydiem <karpaydiem@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Yeah, Todd at www.cleverchimp.com developed these as a prototype. I
                                    > > don't know if he will offer them as an option in the future, but the
                                    > > last time I checked, he felt they were too expensive for much of a
                                    > > market. Just too darned much hand work in them. Sure, somebody
                                    > > (Rubbermaid?) could mold them out of plastic, but wood is prettier.
                                    > >
                                    > > The box, affectionately dubbed, "The Woodie" is made of steam-bent
                                    > > high quality marine plywood, veneered with quarter-sawn oak. The lid
                                    > > is held in place with a lockable latch and embedded magnets keep it
                                    > > from rattling. Mine houses two li-poly batteries, the controller, a
                                    > > 36VDC to 12VDC converter, fuses, connectors, wires, and, on the
                                    > > bottom, two female Neutrik connectors into which I plug the lead from
                                    > > the motor.
                                    > >
                                    > > People and cargo can go on top, the same as the stock Snapdeck. The
                                    > > increased height of about 4 inches makes reaching the Footsies
                                    > > uncomfortable for shorter passengers.
                                    > >
                                    > > I like the box because it secures the batteries and controller from
                                    > > theft and weather and it frees the bags for cargo. Besides, I pretty
                                    > > much like anything that's well-made out of wood.
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                                    <rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>,

                                  • BlueFrogPrpleDog@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006
                                      I did some reading on that Stoke Monkey at the cleverchimp.com web site and
                                      I think it's really neat that it's designed so that you are constantly
                                      pedaling and must constantly pedal and that the battery really only kicks in to
                                      help with tough hills and so forth... am I correct? So, technically, you can go
                                      at your own power at will and then let the battery kick in when you need it
                                      most? Is this correct? This is fascinating to me because it could be a
                                      great answer for folks with bad knees who still love touring! Plus, it's
                                      fascinating to me because I'm not as young as I once was and when my FreeRad is
                                      fully loaded, and my youngest is on the snap deck, and we're pulling a loaded
                                      trailer (plus my huge butt alone) and we come upon a hill that is sandy, I'm
                                      struggling! I've never been able to master gears too well. Am I correct? Is
                                      the Stoke Monkey designed to just give you that extra umph when you need it
                                      most?

                                      In a message dated 7/14/2006 2:38:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                      karpaydiem@... writes:
                                      In my experience, Ryano, your theory doesn't prove out. I can haul
                                      passengers with as much ease as when I had the stock Snapdeck in
                                      place. And with the hills of San Francisco, I get plenty of exercise
                                      as I routinely haul about 30 lbs. of stuff for my job between 25 and
                                      40 miles a day. A pedalled stock Xtracycle bike certainly has its
                                      place, but it doesn't meet my needs. YMMV.

                                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ryano <ryantokyo@...> wrote:

                                      > Don't mean to bag you steed, but one other issue with this set-up is
                                      that it
                                      > detracts from one important beauty of the xtracycle design - that
                                      > passenger/luggage weight is reasonably low, giving you (the rider) more
                                      > leverage to balance your passenger easily, even with a heavy load. By
                                      > sticking a battery under there, you raise them up higher, making the
                                      package
                                      > less stable (not to mention you don't get as much exercise ;-)
                                      >

                                      > On 10/07/06, karpaydiem <karpaydiem@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Yeah, Todd at www.cleverchimp.com developed these as a prototype. I
                                      > > don't know if he will offer them as an option in the future, but the
                                      > > last time I checked, he felt they were too expensive for much of a
                                      > > market. Just too darned much hand work in them. Sure, somebody
                                      > > (Rubbermaid?) could mold them out of plastic, but wood is prettier.
                                      > >
                                      > > The box, affectionately dubbed, "The Woodie" is made of steam-bent
                                      > > high quality marine plywood, veneered with quarter-sawn oak. The lid
                                      > > is held in place with a lockable latch and embedded magnets keep it
                                      > > from rattling. Mine houses two li-poly batteries, the controller, a
                                      > > 36VDC to 12VDC converter, fuses, connectors, wires, and, on the
                                      > > bottom, two female Neutrik connectors into which I plug the lead from
                                      > > the motor.
                                      > >
                                      > > People and cargo can go on top, the same as the stock Snapdeck. The
                                      > > increased height of about 4 inches makes reaching the Footsies
                                      > > uncomfortable for shorter passengers.
                                      > >
                                      > > I like the box because it secures the batteries and controller from
                                      > > theft and weather and it frees the bags for cargo. Besides, I pretty
                                      > > much like anything that's well-made out of wood.
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                                      <rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                      > > Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Said that Clever Chimp sold it as an available accessory. It's a
                                      > > > battery box.

                                      Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design.
                                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/vEfwlB/TM

                                      You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots
                                      radical.

                                      ride to believe.
                                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    • todd fahrner
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006
                                        On Jul 14, 2006, at 5:44 AM, BlueFrogPrpleDog@... wrote:

                                        > I did some reading on that Stoke Monkey at the cleverchimp.com web
                                        > site and
                                        > I think it's really neat that it's designed so that you are
                                        > constantly
                                        > pedaling and must constantly pedal and that the battery really
                                        > only kicks in to
                                        > help with tough hills and so forth... am I correct?

                                        You must pedal in time with the motor whenever you engage it, yes.
                                        You can, of course, coast as usual, but there's no "powered
                                        coasting." The assist doesn't "kick in" of its own accord: you turn
                                        the throttle to get help whenever you want/need it. The rest of the
                                        time, it's just dead weight on the bike, with no effect on normal
                                        pedaling efficiency or technique.

                                        > So, technically, you can go
                                        > at your own power at will and then let the battery kick in when
                                        > you need it
                                        > most? Is this correct?

                                        You control when and how much help the motor provides. You can use it
                                        continually if you want, or spread it out over a long day; it's up to
                                        you.

                                        > This is fascinating to me because it could be a
                                        > great answer for folks with bad knees who still love touring!
                                        > Plus, it's
                                        > fascinating to me because I'm not as young as I once was and when
                                        > my FreeRad is
                                        > fully loaded, and my youngest is on the snap deck, and we're
                                        > pulling a loaded
                                        > trailer (plus my huge butt alone) and we come upon a hill that is
                                        > sandy, I'm
                                        > struggling! I've never been able to master gears too well. Am I
                                        > correct? Is
                                        > the Stoke Monkey designed to just give you that extra umph when
                                        > you need it
                                        > most?

                                        I designed it to let me haul my family around San Francisco hills
                                        without destroying my sketchy knees. It works that way, yes. But you
                                        can also use it to go fast, with little or no load, and arrive
                                        without being covered in sweat.

                                        I'm not sure I'd recommend it for touring, at least not for what I
                                        understand by touring (multiple-day treks, camping, long days, no
                                        hurry). It takes a lot of discipline not to use the motor semi-
                                        continuously. For this reason I think it is somewhat at odds with the
                                        ethos of most recreational riding, where your own strength and pain
                                        tolerance limits the pace in a way that's ultimately enjoyable, and
                                        that makes you stronger. Beyond a certain range, the added weight and
                                        bulk of the system becomes a liability. I wouldn't want to plan my
                                        tour around recharging opportunities, though I could see it for fast
                                        solo "credit card" touring, maybe.

                                        I think it shines brightest for utility trips up to a couple hours,
                                        where you need to cover more ground or carry more stuff than you
                                        could really enjoy without help, or a car. I definitely wouldn't
                                        recommend Stokemonkey for your only bike, because it's overkill for a
                                        lot of riding that could be enjoyed more simply on a regular bike,
                                        and while it's fun, it's fun in a different way than regular riding,
                                        and you'd miss the old fun. Part of that old fun is social -- riding
                                        with others -- and Stokemonkey puts you in a different headspace than
                                        unassisted riders; either you go too fast for them, or you hardly
                                        work at all just matching their pace.

                                        --
                                        Todd Fahrner
                                        Instigator, Cleverchimp LLC