Re: Anybody using a Peapod?

  • Phil Good-Elliott
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
      Thanks, Juergen and John. We'll consider the ideas you both suggested.

      John - with my 45 pound, 6.5 y/o son riding on the back, the ride we get is very smooth
      and requires no extraordinary handling skills. I much prefer this kind of ride to the one we
      had with the "trail-a-bike." The trail-a-bike allows for significant side-to-side motion that
      was very disconcerting to me as the person guiding the main bicycle. Having the stoker
      bar really helps him feel safe and encourages stable passenger behavior.

      If we bought the wee ride, it would be for use with our 2 y/o daughter, who currently
      depends upon our trailer if we're on bike.

      -Phil
    • Stuart Edwards
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
        Hi All,

        I cart my seven year old around on the snap[ deck and my five year old sits on a centric mounted seat by a guy called Nik Lowther (here in NZ) She loves it, I leave it on the bike even when I am riding solo. I am sorry not to have any good pictures but email him for more info. nik.lowther@... . Nik is in New Zealand, but the seat is small and easily shipped about the place. The child sits almost right on the cross bar so centre of gravity remains as low as possible. Really stable riding even with a full load and the kids!

        This seat is not so suitable in my opinion for kids under three, but over three I rate it more highly that may of the other options (and there have been many) that I have tried. Construction is very robust so resale, or handing it down once you are done with it is very possible.

        It is an ideal compliment for the xtracycle, because it can always be there and just adds to the utility of the machine.

        Be good and ride hard.
        Stu

        On 7/5/06, BlueFrogPrpleDog@... <BlueFrogPrpleDog@...> wrote:

        Hi Diane:

        I ride my 4-year-old granddaughter on my snap deck without a peapod and we
        do just fine. I was wearing a backpack for her to hang onto, but have
        installed the stoker bars to my seat. We've done some long-distance riding and
        carried everything you can think of on a variety of terrains and she's just fine
        no matter how many turns we make or bumps we hit. Her rump does get sore on
        long rides so I added a pad to the snap deck for her to sit on. She's 46
        pounds and will be five later this month. She's pretty tall for her age, too,
        and has been riding her own two-wheeler with no training wheels since she was
        barely four. So, if your 4-year-old is rugged and adventurous, I'd say go
        for it, it works fine, but if they're a little more timid, they may like the
        security of the peapod. Happy riding!

        In a message dated 7/3/2006 7:33:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

        diane@... writes:
        I just got my Xtracycle and I love it -- go grocery shopping, do errands,
        pop a kid on and
        go...

        My problem seems to be the Peapod when my son is in it. He weighs 40 lbs.
        When I put the
        Peapod on pre-Xtracycle, the bike's handling and steering got *very* twitchy
        -- the idea of
        having a slight curve, let alone making a turn, was very scary. I thought
        the situation would
        improve when I put the Xtracycle on, but it hasn't.

        So my questions are:

        * Does this happen to anyone else? and
        * Do I really need the Peapod for my 4-year-old? Or should I just get a
        handlebar for back
        there and let him sit on the SnapDeck.

        Any advice appreciated,

        Diane

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/vEfwlB/TM

        You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots
        radical.

        ride to believe.
        Yahoo! Groups Links