Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Anybody using a Peapod?

  • John Speare
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
      On 7/4/06, Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:

      > Neat set-up, John. Please tell us about about the rig for the child. Is this something you
      > put together or found on the market?

      You could build one pretty easily probably, but I bought mine from a
      fellow in Eugene who imports a product call the "Companion Carrier."
      His email is jwb4mlc@....

      The seat and foot pegs are $54 shipped in ConUS.

      > This reminds me of the "Wee Ride" or "Wee Rider" child seat for bikes. We just saw one last
      > week and were fascinated with the idea. I can't seem to find any in stock and wonder if
      > they went out of business or were considered somehow too dangerous.

      I think it would be hard to argue that there are safety advantages to
      putting a kid in a rear seat versus in front of the cyclist. From a
      controllability/balance perspective there is absolutely no disputing
      that weight behind and above your COG on a bike is much more dangerous
      than the weight in front and below you.

      In my opion, any solution where you are carrying a child that requires
      you to go excessivley slow or be excessivley cautious is not a safe
      design or method for carrying children. Of course "excessively slow or
      cautious" is completly subjective, but my point is that if you have to
      change your riding style that dramatically then you've basically put
      together a toy for you and your children to tool around on, instead
      of on a vehicle that provides viable transportation.

      It's taken us a while to figure out how to build up the xtracycle and
      our other bikes as viable, daily transportation with our 3 y.o.
      daughter. I think the challenge will be next year, when she;'s too big
      to sit up front, but too small to ride her own bike. I ahve an old
      tandem on which I plan on isntalling child stoker pedals. I'm just not
      sure she'll be ready for that. I guess we'll see.

      happy riding.

      John

      --
      John Speare
      Spokane, WA USA
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
        Thanks, Juergen and John. We'll consider the ideas you both suggested.

        John - with my 45 pound, 6.5 y/o son riding on the back, the ride we get is very smooth
        and requires no extraordinary handling skills. I much prefer this kind of ride to the one we
        had with the "trail-a-bike." The trail-a-bike allows for significant side-to-side motion that
        was very disconcerting to me as the person guiding the main bicycle. Having the stoker
        bar really helps him feel safe and encourages stable passenger behavior.

        If we bought the wee ride, it would be for use with our 2 y/o daughter, who currently
        depends upon our trailer if we're on bike.

        -Phil
      • Stuart Edwards
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
          Hi All,

          I cart my seven year old around on the snap[ deck and my five year old sits on a centric mounted seat by a guy called Nik Lowther (here in NZ) She loves it, I leave it on the bike even when I am riding solo. I am sorry not to have any good pictures but email him for more info. nik.lowther@... . Nik is in New Zealand, but the seat is small and easily shipped about the place. The child sits almost right on the cross bar so centre of gravity remains as low as possible. Really stable riding even with a full load and the kids!

          This seat is not so suitable in my opinion for kids under three, but over three I rate it more highly that may of the other options (and there have been many) that I have tried. Construction is very robust so resale, or handing it down once you are done with it is very possible.

          It is an ideal compliment for the xtracycle, because it can always be there and just adds to the utility of the machine.

          Be good and ride hard.
          Stu

          On 7/5/06, BlueFrogPrpleDog@... <BlueFrogPrpleDog@...> wrote:

          Hi Diane:

          I ride my 4-year-old granddaughter on my snap deck without a peapod and we
          do just fine. I was wearing a backpack for her to hang onto, but have
          installed the stoker bars to my seat. We've done some long-distance riding and
          carried everything you can think of on a variety of terrains and she's just fine
          no matter how many turns we make or bumps we hit. Her rump does get sore on
          long rides so I added a pad to the snap deck for her to sit on. She's 46
          pounds and will be five later this month. She's pretty tall for her age, too,
          and has been riding her own two-wheeler with no training wheels since she was
          barely four. So, if your 4-year-old is rugged and adventurous, I'd say go
          for it, it works fine, but if they're a little more timid, they may like the
          security of the peapod. Happy riding!

          In a message dated 7/3/2006 7:33:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

          diane@... writes:
          I just got my Xtracycle and I love it -- go grocery shopping, do errands,
          pop a kid on and
          go...

          My problem seems to be the Peapod when my son is in it. He weighs 40 lbs.
          When I put the
          Peapod on pre-Xtracycle, the bike's handling and steering got *very* twitchy
          -- the idea of
          having a slight curve, let alone making a turn, was very scary. I thought
          the situation would
          improve when I put the Xtracycle on, but it hasn't.

          So my questions are:

          * Does this happen to anyone else? and
          * Do I really need the Peapod for my 4-year-old? Or should I just get a
          handlebar for back
          there and let him sit on the SnapDeck.

          Any advice appreciated,

          Diane

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/vEfwlB/TM

          You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots
          radical.

          ride to believe.
          Yahoo! Groups Links