Re: [rootsradicals] kids and trailers

  • BlueFrogPrpleDog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
      In a message dated 7/4/2006 6:12:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      merlin@... writes:
      Keeping the weight forward makes a big difference in handling. This
      is my main advice. And the passenger to keep pretty still / tell you
      before moving about.
      This is a REALLY good point! Since I ride with my four grandkids, my
      four-year-old likes to spin her head and joke around, sing along with, or talk to
      her siblings when they are behind us, or are passing (note, though: rarely is
      ANYONE "behind" ol' fat granny here -- in fact, when I pass someone I proudly
      announce "barely passing on the left) :0) ...... anyway, it does cause us to
      wobble a bit, but I just stay constantly prepared for her to do that, with a
      firm grip, and I make sure she knows when we're about to turn, cross a
      street, hit a bump, do a hill, or anything else for which she should be prepared
      to be still and hold on tight. It's a lot easier for me to let her know when
      she shouldn't move, shift, or turn her body than it is for her to try to be
      still so it doesn't happen. We try to be prepared for each other and work
      together like a team -- just like on a tandem and we do have a blast!
    • John Speare
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
        On 7/3/06, enaidiam <diane@...> wrote:

        > I just got my Xtracycle and I love it -- go grocery shopping, do errands, pop a kid on and
        > go...
        >
        > My problem seems to be the Peapod when my son is in it. He weighs 40 lbs. When I put the
        > Peapod on pre-Xtracycle, the bike's handling and steering got *very* twitchy -- the idea of
        > having a slight curve, let alone making a turn, was very scary. I thought the situation would
        > improve when I put the Xtracycle on, but it hasn't.
        >
        > So my questions are:
        >
        > * Does this happen to anyone else? and
        > * Do I really need the Peapod for my 4-year-old? Or should I just get a handlebar for back
        > there and let him sit on the SnapDeck.
        >
        > Any advice appreciated,

        My opinion is that kids more than 30-35 lbs are too heavy for riding
        in an elevated kid seat behind you. As you have noted, the bike is
        harder to control and even slight movements from the child at
        inopportune moments can cause instability.

        My 3yo is ok with the snap deck for very short rides; she'd probably
        be better for longer rides, but I'm not crazy about her being back
        there, since we removed the stoker bars and she has to hold on to me.

        I prefer putting the child on a companion carrier. There are pictures
        here: http://www.johndogfood.com/x

        And my thoughts on why carrying older children between the rider and
        the handlebars here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/lizafuji.html

        John

        --
        John Speare
        Spokane, WA USA
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...> wrote:

          > And my thoughts on why carrying older children between the rider and
          > the handlebars here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/lizafuji.html

          That Italian seat looks very cool. My kids are too big to use something like that, but I would
          definitely recommend something like that for my friends who have smaller tots.
        • Phil Good-Elliott
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...> wrote:
            > My opinion is that kids more than 30-35 lbs are too heavy for riding
            > in an elevated kid seat behind you. As you have noted, the bike is
            > harder to control and even slight movements from the child at
            > inopportune moments can cause instability.
            >
            > My 3yo is ok with the snap deck for very short rides; she'd probably
            > be better for longer rides, but I'm not crazy about her being back
            > there, since we removed the stoker bars and she has to hold on to me.
            >
            > I prefer putting the child on a companion carrier. There are pictures
            > here: http://www.johndogfood.com/x
            >
            > And my thoughts on why carrying older children between the rider and
            > the handlebars here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/lizafuji.html
            >
            > John
            >
            > --
            > John Speare
            > Spokane, WA USA
            > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

            Neat set-up, John. Please tell us about about the rig for the child. Is this something you
            put together or found on the market?

            This reminds me of the "Wee Ride" or "Wee Rider" child seat for bikes. We just saw one last
            week and were fascinated with the idea. I can't seem to find any in stock and wonder if
            they went out of business or were considered somehow too dangerous.

            -Phil
          • Juergen Weichert
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
              Phil Good-Elliott wrote:

              > This reminds me of the "Wee Ride" or "Wee Rider" child seat for bikes. We just saw one last
              > week and were fascinated with the idea.

              These are amazing. I have had one for many years and used it a lot with
              my daughter who is now 7yrs. It used to be called "Centric Safe Haven"
              seat and I recently saw that it has been re-named Wee Ride. Now that I
              have an Xtracycle my daughter rides on the back and I recently mounted
              the seat on my bike for my 3yr old son. We can ride 3-up on the bike
              now, along with plenty of gear or groceries without any problem.
              http://www.manningawards.ca/pressroom/2002h.htm
              http://www.weeride.com/frontseat.htm
              Juergen
            • John Speare
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                On 7/4/06, Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:

                > Neat set-up, John. Please tell us about about the rig for the child. Is this something you
                > put together or found on the market?

                You could build one pretty easily probably, but I bought mine from a
                fellow in Eugene who imports a product call the "Companion Carrier."
                His email is jwb4mlc@....

                The seat and foot pegs are $54 shipped in ConUS.

                > This reminds me of the "Wee Ride" or "Wee Rider" child seat for bikes. We just saw one last
                > week and were fascinated with the idea. I can't seem to find any in stock and wonder if
                > they went out of business or were considered somehow too dangerous.

                I think it would be hard to argue that there are safety advantages to
                putting a kid in a rear seat versus in front of the cyclist. From a
                controllability/balance perspective there is absolutely no disputing
                that weight behind and above your COG on a bike is much more dangerous
                than the weight in front and below you.

                In my opion, any solution where you are carrying a child that requires
                you to go excessivley slow or be excessivley cautious is not a safe
                design or method for carrying children. Of course "excessively slow or
                cautious" is completly subjective, but my point is that if you have to
                change your riding style that dramatically then you've basically put
                together a toy for you and your children to tool around on, instead
                of on a vehicle that provides viable transportation.

                It's taken us a while to figure out how to build up the xtracycle and
                our other bikes as viable, daily transportation with our 3 y.o.
                daughter. I think the challenge will be next year, when she;'s too big
                to sit up front, but too small to ride her own bike. I ahve an old
                tandem on which I plan on isntalling child stoker pedals. I'm just not
                sure she'll be ready for that. I guess we'll see.

                happy riding.

                John

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Thanks, Juergen and John. We'll consider the ideas you both suggested.

                  John - with my 45 pound, 6.5 y/o son riding on the back, the ride we get is very smooth
                  and requires no extraordinary handling skills. I much prefer this kind of ride to the one we
                  had with the "trail-a-bike." The trail-a-bike allows for significant side-to-side motion that
                  was very disconcerting to me as the person guiding the main bicycle. Having the stoker
                  bar really helps him feel safe and encourages stable passenger behavior.

                  If we bought the wee ride, it would be for use with our 2 y/o daughter, who currently
                  depends upon our trailer if we're on bike.

                  -Phil
                • Stuart Edwards
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                    Hi All,

                    I cart my seven year old around on the snap[ deck and my five year old sits on a centric mounted seat by a guy called Nik Lowther (here in NZ) She loves it, I leave it on the bike even when I am riding solo. I am sorry not to have any good pictures but email him for more info. nik.lowther@... . Nik is in New Zealand, but the seat is small and easily shipped about the place. The child sits almost right on the cross bar so centre of gravity remains as low as possible. Really stable riding even with a full load and the kids!

                    This seat is not so suitable in my opinion for kids under three, but over three I rate it more highly that may of the other options (and there have been many) that I have tried. Construction is very robust so resale, or handing it down once you are done with it is very possible.

                    It is an ideal compliment for the xtracycle, because it can always be there and just adds to the utility of the machine.

                    Be good and ride hard.
                    Stu

                    On 7/5/06, BlueFrogPrpleDog@... <BlueFrogPrpleDog@...> wrote:

                    Hi Diane:

                    I ride my 4-year-old granddaughter on my snap deck without a peapod and we
                    do just fine. I was wearing a backpack for her to hang onto, but have
                    installed the stoker bars to my seat. We've done some long-distance riding and
                    carried everything you can think of on a variety of terrains and she's just fine
                    no matter how many turns we make or bumps we hit. Her rump does get sore on
                    long rides so I added a pad to the snap deck for her to sit on. She's 46
                    pounds and will be five later this month. She's pretty tall for her age, too,
                    and has been riding her own two-wheeler with no training wheels since she was
                    barely four. So, if your 4-year-old is rugged and adventurous, I'd say go
                    for it, it works fine, but if they're a little more timid, they may like the
                    security of the peapod. Happy riding!

                    In a message dated 7/3/2006 7:33:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

                    diane@... writes:
                    I just got my Xtracycle and I love it -- go grocery shopping, do errands,
                    pop a kid on and
                    go...

                    My problem seems to be the Peapod when my son is in it. He weighs 40 lbs.
                    When I put the
                    Peapod on pre-Xtracycle, the bike's handling and steering got *very* twitchy
                    -- the idea of
                    having a slight curve, let alone making a turn, was very scary. I thought
                    the situation would
                    improve when I put the Xtracycle on, but it hasn't.

                    So my questions are:

                    * Does this happen to anyone else? and
                    * Do I really need the Peapod for my 4-year-old? Or should I just get a
                    handlebar for back
                    there and let him sit on the SnapDeck.

                    Any advice appreciated,

                    Diane

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/vEfwlB/TM

                    You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots
                    radical.

                    ride to believe.
                    Yahoo! Groups Links