Re: [rootsradicals] Legalities in Aust

  • BlueFrogPrpleDog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
      In a message dated 7/3/2006 10:37:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      ray@... writes:
      On the subject of trailers, has anyone considered or made a hitch
      specifically for the xtracycle? Almost all the bike trailers I have
      seen attach to the left hand side of the rear axle. The rear bridge
      of the xtracycle (the part with the NO STEP label) seems like a ideal
      place for a trailer hitch. Maybe a tube that goes through the rear
      bridge and can rotate freely.

      I did! I ran an 8" carriage bolt through the lower rear bar of my FreeRad
      (with a variety of washers) and attached my trailer hitch there -- works
      great. I thought I'd be using it for my four-year-old, but she likes being on the
      snap deck, so we use the trailer for our tent and sleeping bags.
    • aussiegaya
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
        Thanks for the reply.

        I have looked at the road rules in relation to this....it's just
        that I wasn't sure how the xtracycle would be viewed in
        Australia...like whether it could be argued that it isn't designed
        for more than one because it doesn't have a traditional looking seat.

        But what you said about the footsies and something to hold - and the
        fact that it can carry such a huge weight - that would make a good
        argument for anyone who wanted to argue with me :)

        Thanks again as it is really helpful to hear what real families
        are 'actually' doing,

        Nova

        http://bicyclesafe.com/doorprize.html

        > I would recommend the Burly Bee trailer or similar product to
        carry
        > two kids safely. I think Greenspeed is the Australian distributor.
        > See
        > http://www.burley.com/products/trailers/default0b96.html?
        p=Burley+Bee&i=4

        http://rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/roadraustr_dl1.html

        > Part 15 is Additional rules for bicycle riders

      • Cathode Ray
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
          At 9:42 AM +0000 5/7/06, aussiegaya wrote:
          >like whether it could be argued that it isn't designed
          >for more than one because it doesn't have a traditional looking seat.

          The Australian Road Rules define bicycle, with no mention of a seat!
          The rule that applies here is rule 246, which simply states that:

          The rider of a bicycle must not carry more persons on the
          bicycle than the bicycle is designed to carry.

          The xtracycle is designed and intended to carry people on the snapdeck.

          bicycle means a vehicle with 1 or more wheels that is built to be
          propelled by human power through a belt, chain or gears (whether or not
          it has an auxiliary motor), and:
          (a) includes a pedicab, penny-farthing, scooter, tricycle and
          unicycle; but
          (b) does not include a wheelchair, wheeled recreational device,
          wheeled toy, or any vehicle with an auxiliary motor capable of
          generating a power output over 200 watts (whether or not the
          motor is operating)

          245 Riding a bicycle
          The rider of a bicycle must:
          (a) sit astride the rider's seat facing forwards (except if the
          bicycle is not built to be ridden astride); and
          (b) ride with at least 1 hand on the handlebars; and
          (c) if the bicycle is equipped with a seat - not ride the
          bicycle seated in any other position on the bicycle.

          246 Carrying people on a bicycle
          The rider of a bicycle must not carry more persons on the
          bicycle than the bicycle is designed to carry.
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
            Scroll down http://www.xaccess.org/ and there are pictures of them
            being used as taxis - also good to have if there's an argument.