Anybody using a Peapod?

  • enaidiam
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3, 2006
      I just got my Xtracycle and I love it -- go grocery shopping, do errands, pop a kid on and
      go...

      My problem seems to be the Peapod when my son is in it. He weighs 40 lbs. When I put the
      Peapod on pre-Xtracycle, the bike's handling and steering got *very* twitchy -- the idea of
      having a slight curve, let alone making a turn, was very scary. I thought the situation would
      improve when I put the Xtracycle on, but it hasn't.

      So my questions are:

      * Does this happen to anyone else? and
      * Do I really need the Peapod for my 4-year-old? Or should I just get a handlebar for back
      there and let him sit on the SnapDeck.

      Any advice appreciated,

      Diane
    • ryanotokyo
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3, 2006
        In my experience the SnapDeck is fine for four years or older. Ride
        slowly of course, and lower the saddle so that you can put your feet
        down very easily if you have to.

        Younger than three or four though, and kids can do unpredictable
        things, so I might suggest that seatbelts are essential (i.e. peapod
        type set-up). Incidentally, Centric SafeHaven (also called "WeeRide")
        is a good product for young kids. That way you can keep your
        Xtracycle space free for luggage etc.

      • merlin@re-cycle.org
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
          Hi all

          Keeping the weight forward makes a big difference in handling. This
          is my main advice. And the passenger to keep pretty still / tell you
          before moving about.

          I've had 2 adults + 1 kid with no problems, tho am a tall man with SPD pedals.
          The SPD pedals give 20% extra power, clip in like ski boots, kick
          heel to the side to pop out, the clips are recessed so can walk ok,
          do them in sandals, trainers (sneakers!) are amazing!

          Surfings more fun than sitting!

          Stoker handlebars go on tandem seat posts, may be worth while if
          doing regular trips.

          Reminder, DIY trailer download on my site - http://www.re-cycle.org/trailer/

          Cheers

          Merlin

        • BlueFrogPrpleDog@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
            Hi Diane:

            I ride my 4-year-old granddaughter on my snap deck without a peapod and we
            do just fine. I was wearing a backpack for her to hang onto, but have
            installed the stoker bars to my seat. We've done some long-distance riding and
            carried everything you can think of on a variety of terrains and she's just fine
            no matter how many turns we make or bumps we hit. Her rump does get sore on
            long rides so I added a pad to the snap deck for her to sit on. She's 46
            pounds and will be five later this month. She's pretty tall for her age, too,
            and has been riding her own two-wheeler with no training wheels since she was
            barely four. So, if your 4-year-old is rugged and adventurous, I'd say go
            for it, it works fine, but if they're a little more timid, they may like the
            security of the peapod. Happy riding!

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/vEfwlB/TM

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
              In a message dated 7/4/2006 6:12:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              merlin@... writes:
              Keeping the weight forward makes a big difference in handling. This
              is my main advice. And the passenger to keep pretty still / tell you
              before moving about.
              This is a REALLY good point! Since I ride with my four grandkids, my
              four-year-old likes to spin her head and joke around, sing along with, or talk to
              her siblings when they are behind us, or are passing (note, though: rarely is
              ANYONE "behind" ol' fat granny here -- in fact, when I pass someone I proudly
              announce "barely passing on the left) :0) ...... anyway, it does cause us to
              wobble a bit, but I just stay constantly prepared for her to do that, with a
              firm grip, and I make sure she knows when we're about to turn, cross a
              street, hit a bump, do a hill, or anything else for which she should be prepared
              to be still and hold on tight. It's a lot easier for me to let her know when
              she shouldn't move, shift, or turn her body than it is for her to try to be
              still so it doesn't happen. We try to be prepared for each other and work
              together like a team -- just like on a tandem and we do have a blast!
            • John Speare
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                On 7/3/06, enaidiam <diane@...> wrote:

                > I just got my Xtracycle and I love it -- go grocery shopping, do errands, pop a kid on and
                > go...
                >
                > My problem seems to be the Peapod when my son is in it. He weighs 40 lbs. When I put the
                > Peapod on pre-Xtracycle, the bike's handling and steering got *very* twitchy -- the idea of
                > having a slight curve, let alone making a turn, was very scary. I thought the situation would
                > improve when I put the Xtracycle on, but it hasn't.
                >
                > So my questions are:
                >
                > * Does this happen to anyone else? and
                > * Do I really need the Peapod for my 4-year-old? Or should I just get a handlebar for back
                > there and let him sit on the SnapDeck.
                >
                > Any advice appreciated,

                My opinion is that kids more than 30-35 lbs are too heavy for riding
                in an elevated kid seat behind you. As you have noted, the bike is
                harder to control and even slight movements from the child at
                inopportune moments can cause instability.

                My 3yo is ok with the snap deck for very short rides; she'd probably
                be better for longer rides, but I'm not crazy about her being back
                there, since we removed the stoker bars and she has to hold on to me.

                I prefer putting the child on a companion carrier. There are pictures
                here: http://www.johndogfood.com/x

                And my thoughts on why carrying older children between the rider and
                the handlebars here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/lizafuji.html

                John

                --
                John Speare
                Spokane, WA USA
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...> wrote:

                  > And my thoughts on why carrying older children between the rider and
                  > the handlebars here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/lizafuji.html

                  That Italian seat looks very cool. My kids are too big to use something like that, but I would
                  definitely recommend something like that for my friends who have smaller tots.
                • Phil Good-Elliott
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...> wrote:
                    > My opinion is that kids more than 30-35 lbs are too heavy for riding
                    > in an elevated kid seat behind you. As you have noted, the bike is
                    > harder to control and even slight movements from the child at
                    > inopportune moments can cause instability.
                    >
                    > My 3yo is ok with the snap deck for very short rides; she'd probably
                    > be better for longer rides, but I'm not crazy about her being back
                    > there, since we removed the stoker bars and she has to hold on to me.
                    >
                    > I prefer putting the child on a companion carrier. There are pictures
                    > here: http://www.johndogfood.com/x
                    >
                    > And my thoughts on why carrying older children between the rider and
                    > the handlebars here: http://www.johndogfood.com/john/lizafuji.html
                    >
                    > John
                    >
                    > --
                    > John Speare
                    > Spokane, WA USA
                    > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

                    Neat set-up, John. Please tell us about about the rig for the child. Is this something you
                    put together or found on the market?

                    This reminds me of the "Wee Ride" or "Wee Rider" child seat for bikes. We just saw one last
                    week and were fascinated with the idea. I can't seem to find any in stock and wonder if
                    they went out of business or were considered somehow too dangerous.

                    -Phil
                  • Juergen Weichert
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                      Phil Good-Elliott wrote:

                      > This reminds me of the "Wee Ride" or "Wee Rider" child seat for bikes. We just saw one last
                      > week and were fascinated with the idea.

                      These are amazing. I have had one for many years and used it a lot with
                      my daughter who is now 7yrs. It used to be called "Centric Safe Haven"
                      seat and I recently saw that it has been re-named Wee Ride. Now that I
                      have an Xtracycle my daughter rides on the back and I recently mounted
                      the seat on my bike for my 3yr old son. We can ride 3-up on the bike
                      now, along with plenty of gear or groceries without any problem.
                      http://www.manningawards.ca/pressroom/2002h.htm
                      http://www.weeride.com/frontseat.htm
                      Juergen
                    • John Speare
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                        On 7/4/06, Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:

                        > Neat set-up, John. Please tell us about about the rig for the child. Is this something you
                        > put together or found on the market?

                        You could build one pretty easily probably, but I bought mine from a
                        fellow in Eugene who imports a product call the "Companion Carrier."
                        His email is jwb4mlc@....

                        The seat and foot pegs are $54 shipped in ConUS.

                        > This reminds me of the "Wee Ride" or "Wee Rider" child seat for bikes. We just saw one last
                        > week and were fascinated with the idea. I can't seem to find any in stock and wonder if
                        > they went out of business or were considered somehow too dangerous.

                        I think it would be hard to argue that there are safety advantages to
                        putting a kid in a rear seat versus in front of the cyclist. From a
                        controllability/balance perspective there is absolutely no disputing
                        that weight behind and above your COG on a bike is much more dangerous
                        than the weight in front and below you.

                        In my opion, any solution where you are carrying a child that requires
                        you to go excessivley slow or be excessivley cautious is not a safe
                        design or method for carrying children. Of course "excessively slow or
                        cautious" is completly subjective, but my point is that if you have to
                        change your riding style that dramatically then you've basically put
                        together a toy for you and your children to tool around on, instead
                        of on a vehicle that provides viable transportation.

                        It's taken us a while to figure out how to build up the xtracycle and
                        our other bikes as viable, daily transportation with our 3 y.o.
                        daughter. I think the challenge will be next year, when she;'s too big
                        to sit up front, but too small to ride her own bike. I ahve an old
                        tandem on which I plan on isntalling child stoker pedals. I'm just not
                        sure she'll be ready for that. I guess we'll see.

                        happy riding.

                        John

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                          Thanks, Juergen and John. We'll consider the ideas you both suggested.

                          John - with my 45 pound, 6.5 y/o son riding on the back, the ride we get is very smooth
                          and requires no extraordinary handling skills. I much prefer this kind of ride to the one we
                          had with the "trail-a-bike." The trail-a-bike allows for significant side-to-side motion that
                          was very disconcerting to me as the person guiding the main bicycle. Having the stoker
                          bar really helps him feel safe and encourages stable passenger behavior.

                          If we bought the wee ride, it would be for use with our 2 y/o daughter, who currently
                          depends upon our trailer if we're on bike.

                          -Phil
                        • Stuart Edwards
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                            Hi All,

                            I cart my seven year old around on the snap[ deck and my five year old sits on a centric mounted seat by a guy called Nik Lowther (here in NZ) She loves it, I leave it on the bike even when I am riding solo. I am sorry not to have any good pictures but email him for more info. nik.lowther@... . Nik is in New Zealand, but the seat is small and easily shipped about the place. The child sits almost right on the cross bar so centre of gravity remains as low as possible. Really stable riding even with a full load and the kids!

                            This seat is not so suitable in my opinion for kids under three, but over three I rate it more highly that may of the other options (and there have been many) that I have tried. Construction is very robust so resale, or handing it down once you are done with it is very possible.

                            It is an ideal compliment for the xtracycle, because it can always be there and just adds to the utility of the machine.

                            Be good and ride hard.
                            Stu