Legalities in Aust

  • aussiegaya
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
      I would love to know if anyone hear in Australia has found a legal way
      to carry 2 children on the xtracycle?

      Correct me if I am wrong but I understand that extra people must be
      carried in an 'legal' seat. Presumably the 'pea pod' is ok. What about
      just sitting on the snapdeck? I'm guessing 'no'.

      Thanks

      PS My youngest are 1 1/2 and 3 years.
    • Cathode Ray
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
        At 12:35 PM +0000 3/7/06, aussiegaya wrote:
        >I would love to know if anyone hear in Australia has found a legal way
        >to carry 2 children on the xtracycle?..... What about
        >just sitting on the snapdeck?....... My youngest are 1 1/2 and 3 years.

        Australia Road Rules: #246:

        246 Carrying people on a bicycle
        The rider of a bicycle must not carry more persons on the
        bicycle than the bicycle is designed to carry.

        The xtracycle is designed for a maximum load of 90Kg. So if the
        passenger/s weigh less than 90Kg, it's legal. I've had passengers in
        excess of 100Kg on the snapdeck, but I wouldn't recommend it.
        Somewhere to put your feet (footsies) and something to hold on to are
        really important. I haven't carried any kids who couldn't reach the
        footsies.

        Just sitting on the snapdeck is how I carry all my passengers. I can
        carry two kids (10 and 12 y.o.) on the snapdeck, total weight about
        70Kg. For adults I find the easiest (ie less effort for rider, more
        stable and faster) way is when the passenger is standing on the
        footsies with their hands on my shoulders. For passengers who prefer
        to remain seated I remind them to rise for the bumps. I have replaced
        the two separate footsie bars with one single piece of steel tubing
        that goes all the way through the front bridge. Aty first I had
        trouble finding the right size tubing (about 22.5mm OD). Then I found
        an old kitchen chair with exactly the right size tubing.

        Personally I wouldn't carry two very young children on the snapdeck.
        Their legs would be too short to reach the footsies, and they
        wouldn't have the strength to grip tightly for the bumps. I would be
        comfortable with one child in a PeaPod

        Falling off isn't the greatest risk. Falling off into the path of a
        passing vehicle is a killer. See http://bicyclesafe.com/doorprize.html

        I would recommend the Burly Bee trailer or similar product to carry
        two kids safely. I think Greenspeed is the Australian distributor.
        See
        http://www.burley.com/products/trailers/default0b96.html?p=Burley+Bee&i=4

        On the subject of trailers, has anyone considered or made a hitch
        specifically for the xtracycle? Almost all the bike trailers I have
        seen attach to the left hand side of the rear axle. The rear bridge
        of the xtracycle (the part with the NO STEP label) seems like a ideal
        place for a trailer hitch. Maybe a tube that goes through the rear
        bridge and can rotate freely.

        Australian Road Rules are available online at
        http://rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/roadraustr_dl1.html

        Part 15 is Additional rules for bicycle riders
      • BlueFrogPrpleDog@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
          In a message dated 7/3/2006 10:37:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          ray@... writes:
          On the subject of trailers, has anyone considered or made a hitch
          specifically for the xtracycle? Almost all the bike trailers I have
          seen attach to the left hand side of the rear axle. The rear bridge
          of the xtracycle (the part with the NO STEP label) seems like a ideal
          place for a trailer hitch. Maybe a tube that goes through the rear
          bridge and can rotate freely.

          I did! I ran an 8" carriage bolt through the lower rear bar of my FreeRad
          (with a variety of washers) and attached my trailer hitch there -- works
          great. I thought I'd be using it for my four-year-old, but she likes being on the
          snap deck, so we use the trailer for our tent and sleeping bags.
        • aussiegaya
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
            Thanks for the reply.

            I have looked at the road rules in relation to this....it's just
            that I wasn't sure how the xtracycle would be viewed in
            Australia...like whether it could be argued that it isn't designed
            for more than one because it doesn't have a traditional looking seat.

            But what you said about the footsies and something to hold - and the
            fact that it can carry such a huge weight - that would make a good
            argument for anyone who wanted to argue with me :)

            Thanks again as it is really helpful to hear what real families
            are 'actually' doing,

            Nova

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
              At 9:42 AM +0000 5/7/06, aussiegaya wrote:
              >like whether it could be argued that it isn't designed
              >for more than one because it doesn't have a traditional looking seat.

              The Australian Road Rules define bicycle, with no mention of a seat!
              The rule that applies here is rule 246, which simply states that:

              The rider of a bicycle must not carry more persons on the
              bicycle than the bicycle is designed to carry.

              The xtracycle is designed and intended to carry people on the snapdeck.

              bicycle means a vehicle with 1 or more wheels that is built to be
              propelled by human power through a belt, chain or gears (whether or not
              it has an auxiliary motor), and:
              (a) includes a pedicab, penny-farthing, scooter, tricycle and
              unicycle; but
              (b) does not include a wheelchair, wheeled recreational device,
              wheeled toy, or any vehicle with an auxiliary motor capable of
              generating a power output over 200 watts (whether or not the
              motor is operating)

              245 Riding a bicycle
              The rider of a bicycle must:
              (a) sit astride the rider's seat facing forwards (except if the
              bicycle is not built to be ridden astride); and
              (b) ride with at least 1 hand on the handlebars; and
              (c) if the bicycle is equipped with a seat - not ride the
              bicycle seated in any other position on the bicycle.

              246 Carrying people on a bicycle
              The rider of a bicycle must not carry more persons on the
              bicycle than the bicycle is designed to carry.
            • Susan
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
                Scroll down http://www.xaccess.org/ and there are pictures of them
                being used as taxis - also good to have if there's an argument.