Re: [rootsradicals]

  • Dane Buson
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 14, 2008
      On Apr 3, Devian Gilbert tripped the electrons lexically so:

      > its a basic culture thing. until something major happens with our
      > economy, etc most people will consider not having a car, an
      > inconvenience

      Yup, that's something I think most cyclists underestimate. You can
      proselytize all you want, and tell people how great cycling is, but...
      The most effective way to get more cyclists is to make driving suck
      more.

      When you make it more expensive, make it harder to park, make it take
      more time, make it less enjoyable, that's when people start to consider
      alternatives. The carrot is nice, but driving is so much the assumed
      standard in the US that the stick tends to work better.

      > thats part of the reason(s) motorists often get bent with bikes.

      I find most of these people all already upset (internally) and just feel
      cyclists are 'other', so they're safe to lash out at. There seems to be
      a large body of experience showing that people who attack other people
      with their vehicles (to take the extreme case) rarely have much
      justification. It's simply a case of xenophobia in most cases.
      Attacking the *other* because it's *other*. The motivations given later
      for the attack usually smack of rationalization after the fact.

      > i can not tell you how often some person has commented on how "I think
      > i own the world. riding your bike down the side of the road, parking
      > in front of the store, and pulling right up front to the intersection
      > with cars."

      Well yeah! I can't help it I'm using the superior (and appropriate)
      transportation for an urban shopping outting.

      > I can not begin to tell you often I'd comment on the state of debt
      > most people carry. primarily as a by-product of living a Car-centric
      > life.

      True, instead of being a two car family, we have one car and many
      bicycles. The car is paid for and gets reasonably low mileage since
      it's not used as a commuter. This means we have a lot more money left
      over than your typical single income family.

      --
      Dane Buson - Buson@...
      "The young always have the same problem how to rebel and