Xtra on the Great Divide?

  • mac stricklen
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008

      I've been invited to join a couple of people to ride a section of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route this summer.  Based on people's wesites, blogs etc about their experiences on this route, BOB trailers seem to be very popular.

      Given that I traded my BOB for an Xtra a few years ago, I don't have the trailer option anymore.

      Does anyone have any info that would suggest whether riding part of the GDMBR on an Xtra is a good idea or a bad idea?

      Mac

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
        > Does anyone have any info that would suggest whether riding part of
        > the GDMBR on an Xtra is a good idea or a bad idea?

        http://www.ridingthespine.com/main.html

        The Great Divide's a subset of this, right?

        I think, as long as you avoid riding and camping improperly in the
        Grand Canyon, that you ought to be ok.
      • Vik
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
          Hey Mac,

          You should check out the Riding the Spine site.  These guys are riding from Alaska to the tip of South America on Xtracycles and Big Dummies - doing a lot of offroad riding.

          I haven't followed all their adventures, but I know they broke some of their Xtracycles, but then Xtracycle modified the SUB to be stronger and I think they've been fine since then.  You can probably get all the info you want from their site and if not you could email Xtracycle and see what they modified.

          Sounds like a fun trip - definitely post a report when you get back.

          safe riding,

          Vik
          www.vikram-banerjee.com
          www.thelazyrando.com

          On 8-Apr-08, at 9:50 AM, mac stricklen wrote:

          I've been invited to join a couple of people to ride a section of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route this summer.  Based on people's wesites, blogs etc about their experiences on this route, BOB trailers seem to be very popular.

          Given that I traded my BOB for an Xtra a few years ago, I don't have the trailer option anymore.

          Does anyone have any info that would suggest whether riding part of the GDMBR on an Xtra is a good idea or a bad idea?

          Mac
        • stoutag
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
            As others have already stated, the GDMBR is what inspired the guys on
            riding the spine and did indeed comprise part of their route through
            North America. So I don't see any reason why not. I'll be doing some
            such stuff this summer with my big dummy, and am very much looking
            forward to its strengths in this type of application.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, mac stricklen
            <MAC_STRICKLEN@...> wrote:

            > I've been invited to join a couple of people to ride a section of
            the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route this summer. Based on people's
            wesites, blogs etc about their experiences on this route, BOB trailers
            seem to be very popular.

            > Given that I traded my BOB for an Xtra a few years ago, I don't have
            the trailer option anymore.

            > Does anyone have any info that would suggest whether riding part of
            the GDMBR on an Xtra is a good idea or a bad idea?

            > Mac

            Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

          • Mighk Wilson
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
              The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route is mostly double-track, dirt roads
              and some pavement. There are also singletrack sections, but mostly
              non-technical. See:
              http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm?pg=more

              Since the GDMBR is mostly non-technical, I'd imagine an Xtracycle is
              probably ideal.

              BTW, Adventure Cycling reviewed the X a couple years back:
              http://xtracycle.com/media/AdvCyclingReview.pdf

              The GDMBR doesn't go anywhere near the Grand Canyon; it runs down the
              middle of New Mexico.

              Mighk

              > Does anyone have any info that would suggest whether riding part of
              > the GDMBR on an Xtra is a good idea or a bad idea?

              http://www.ridingthespine.com/main.html

              The Great Divide's a subset of this, right?

              I think, as long as you avoid riding and camping improperly in the
              Grand Canyon, that you ought to be ok.
            • katethelizard
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
                I read a web article by a guy who'd done part of the GDMBR (or it
                might have been in NZ) on an Xtracycle with a buddy who used a BOB,
                and the X won the climbing competition on steep singletrack hands
                down. It was also easier to push when necessary, and he had to push
                less often.

                Kate
              • murray
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
                  In my experience touring the X will beat a loaded normal bike (without
                  a trailer) on steep single tracks. Lower load means lower center of
                  gravity, which means better balance and control, that plus the longer
                  wheelbase means better traction, no front wheel lifting, etc. My last
                  tour I did a bit of single track stuff coming off the Rimutaka rail
                  trail alongside a guy who had a simalar load to me on a 'normal' bike,
                  but his luggage was stacked up to the seat level behind him. Mine was
                  all down below the snapdeck. He found the signle track difficult
                  because it was slow going with some steep little uphill bits. On
                  several places he had to stop and push because he couldn't balance
                  that well at low speed, and power up a slope at the same time. I found
                  with the X I could climb at walking pace with street tires. I would
                  loose traction occasionally but could just lean back to put a little
                  more weight on the back wheel and power away.
                  The X excelled on the steep descents too.
                  I'm convinved the X is a perfect touring platform on-road or off (for
                  me at least).