Re: [rootsradicals] Re: How Young of a Kid on the snapdeck?

  • Dave Lloyd
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
      I wouldn't worry too much about my nearly four year old falling
      asleep. He's a lot like me in that unless he's in a sensory
      deprivation chamber, he just won't fall asleep. Riding on a bike is
      far too engaging. My 2 year old, on the other hand, will fall asleep
      in the trailer.

      Has anyone used a Pea Pod/BoBike and set up something like a stoker
      handlebar behind it for another child to sit behind the seat?
      --
      --dlloyd

      On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:50 AM, David Bole <chain55105@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > #ygrp-actbar .left{
      > > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
      > > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
      > > #ygrp-grft{
      > > font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;padding:15px 0;}
      > > #ygrp-ft{
      > > font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666;
      > > padding:5px 0;
      > > }
      > > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
      > > padding-bottom:10px;}
      > >
      > > #ygrp-reco {
      > > margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
      > > #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
      > > font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}
      > >
      > > #reco-grpname{
      > > font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
      > > #reco-category{
      > > font-size:77%;}
      > > #reco-desc{
      > > font-size:77%;}
      > >
      > > #ygrp-vital{
      > > background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px 0 8px 8px;}
      > > #ygrp-vital #vithd{
      > > font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-
      > transform:uppercase;}
      > > #ygrp-vital ul{
      > > padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
      > > #ygrp-vital ul li{
      > > list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee;
      > > }
      > > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
      > > font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-
      > align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
      > > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
      > > font-weight:bold;}
      > > #ygrp-vital a{
      > > text-decoration:none;}
      > >
      > > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
      > > text-decoration:underline;}
      > >
      > > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
      > > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
      > > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
      > > padding:6px 13px;background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;}
      > > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
      > > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
      > > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
      > > list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;}
      > > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
      > > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
      > > #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
      > > background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;}
      > > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
      > > padding:8px 0;}
      > > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
      > > font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-
      > size:100%;line-height:122%;}
      > > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
      > > text-decoration:none;}
      > > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
      > > text-decoration:underline;}
      > > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
      > > margin:0;}
      > > o{font-size:0;}
      > > .MsoNormal{
      > > margin:0 0 0 0;}
      > > #ygrp-text tt{
      > > font-size:120%;}
      > > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
      > > .replbq{margin:4;}
      > > -->

      > ______________
      > > You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of

    • Morgan Scherer
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
        My kids started riding on the snapdeck when they were almost-5, and 8.
        My neighbor has kids who ride on their snapdeck at 3 and 5, although he
        only lets the 3 yo ride when the 5 yo is riding behind her, and for
        short rides to school (less than 1 mile). We go on long rides often
        (1.5 hours or so), and sometimes my 5 yo gets sleepy. I only let him
        sleep when his brother is back there too, watching and letting me know
        if he starts to slide off or anything (he sleeps by leaning forward and
        resting his head against my low back, so I can feel if he starts to
        slide also). It's worked fine, though I've often thought that that's
        the biggest limitation of the X as our family car replacement. We ride
        the X for almost everything during the day, but once night falls we use
        the car so that the kids can truly relax and sleep in the back. The X
        is my first family bike that the kids couldn't sleep in (the others were
        all trikes), and tho the benefits outweight the drawbacks for us, that's
        the one thing I would like to figure out...

        Morgan S.

        On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:15:05 -0000, "Jason Crane" <jason@...>
        said:
        > Howdy,
        >
        > My son started riding on the deck just before he turned 5 (because
        > that's when I got the X). I took him to school every day on it. Here
        > are two short videos showing him on the X. He just held on to the
        > V-racks with no other straps during the 1.5-mile ride to school.
        >
        > http://youtube.com/watch?v=5LJElh_dqqM
        >
        > http://youtube.com/watch?v=kY13akjCi_g
        >
        > Have fun!
        >
        > Jason
        >
        > --
        > Jason Crane
        > RocBike.com (Rochester, NY)
        > FortOrangeCycling.com (Albany, NY)

      • stoutag
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
          I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible to mount a bobike
          maxi for the 3yo to fall asleep in, and bolt a bobike junior to the
          snap deck for the older and they still be able to get a wink or two
          without falling off.

          I also liked Mark Kohr's homemade version with the two built in seats
          on the snap deck deck

          http://www.surlybikes.com/blogimages/Final1-719901.jpg

          Once my youngest moves to the maxi, I'll probably fashion fashion a
          seat something like that for my older on the snapdeck, so there's
          shoulder straps and he can actually nod off without slumping over
          completely.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Morgan Scherer" <morganes@...>
          wrote:

          > My kids started riding on the snapdeck when they were almost-5, and 8.
          > My neighbor has kids who ride on their snapdeck at 3 and 5, although he
          > only lets the 3 yo ride when the 5 yo is riding behind her, and for
          > short rides to school (less than 1 mile). We go on long rides often
          > (1.5 hours or so), and sometimes my 5 yo gets sleepy. I only let him
          > sleep when his brother is back there too, watching and letting me know
          > if he starts to slide off or anything (he sleeps by leaning forward and
          > resting his head against my low back, so I can feel if he starts to
          > slide also). It's worked fine, though I've often thought that that's
          > the biggest limitation of the X as our family car replacement. We ride
          > the X for almost everything during the day, but once night falls we use
          > the car so that the kids can truly relax and sleep in the back. The X
          > is my first family bike that the kids couldn't sleep in (the others were
          > all trikes), and tho the benefits outweight the drawbacks for us, that's
          > the one thing I would like to figure out...
          >
          > Morgan S.
          >
          > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:15:05 -0000, "Jason Crane" <jason@...>
          > said:
          > > Howdy,
          > >
          > > My son started riding on the deck just before he turned 5 (because
          > > that's when I got the X). I took him to school every day on it. Here
          > > are two short videos showing him on the X. He just held on to the
          > > V-racks with no other straps during the 1.5-mile ride to school.
          > >
          > > http://youtube.com/watch?v=5LJElh_dqqM
          > >
          > > http://youtube.com/watch?v=kY13akjCi_g
          > >
          > > Have fun!
          > >
          > > Jason
          > >
          > > --
          > > Jason Crane
          > > RocBike.com (Rochester, NY)
          > > FortOrangeCycling.com (Albany, NY)

        • Jon
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
            Now that my two are starting to outgrow the Burley I've moved my five
            year old up onto the snap deck.

            I put a stoker bar on for her to hold onto, but her legs were too
            short to touch the footpads. I ended up putting an extra set of MTB
            bar ends onto the uprights for her to rest her feet on- it works great!

            I also strapped a folding canoe/camping seat onto the snap deck so she
            can lay back a little and enjoy the ride. She seems to enjoy it much
            more than being crammed in the trailer with her brother.

            My son is pretty happy as well since he gets the whole trailer to
            himself- which also means he gets a nap out of the deal. :)

            I've loved the bike so far, but it's got a special place in my heart
            now that gas is inching toward $4 a gallon.

            Jon
          • Devin Quince
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
              I take my 5 and 7 yo on the snapdeck without any issues or special parts. They rest their feet on the wide loaders and use the freeloader bars as handles. They have been on a rides upwards of 12-15 miles spread over 2 hours with no complaints. I think the biggest deal is making sure they get enough time off the deck, bike, trailer, etc.
            • Dave Lloyd
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
                Do you have your burley hitched up to your X? Anything special you
                had to do, or does it just work?

                --
                --dlloyd
              • phaedrus
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
                  > I've loved the bike so far, but it's got a special place in my heart
                  > now that gas is inching toward $4 a gallon.

                  Wow, that's cheap. My last fuel up for my Big Dummy ran nearly $20/gallon.

                  Of course, I could probably fill 'er up on cheaper stuff than what is
                  available at my local brew pub!

                  - phaedrus
                • frangair
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
                    Hi Mac,

                    I started picking up my kids (boy and girl twins) from pre school till
                    about grade 2, so age 5 - 7. Loaded all their bags too we sang all
                    the way home. Eventually they got too big for me to go the distance
                    with all their bags etc plus what with a million other family /
                    logistical / work reasons it was back to the boring old car...

                    Shane

                    <MAC_STRICKLEN@...> wrote:

                    > Anyone out there carrying your kid directly on the Snapdeck (no
                    child carrier seat, no modified car seat, etc.) How young was you
                    child when they started riding back there?

                    > I know my daughter isn't ready yet, and I"m sure I'll recognize the
                    "signs" when she starts to show them. At this point I'm just
                    wondering how long I can anticipate waiting until she is ready?

                    > Thanks,
                    > Mac
                    >

                    > <!
                  • Jon
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
                      Yes I do- look in the picture section.

                      I use the standard frame hitch from burley and mount it to the frame
                      of the Xtracycle. Everything seems to fit fine, but I did have to
                      run the bag strap over the hitch mount- not a big deal.

                      Jon

                      > Do you have your burley hitched up to your X? Anything special you
                      > had to do, or does it just work?
                      >
                      > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Jon <freedive_wi@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Now that my two are starting to outgrow the Burley I've moved my
                      five
                      > > year old up onto the snap deck.
                      > >
                      > > I put a stoker bar on for her to hold onto, but her legs were
                      too
                      > > short to touch the footpads. I ended up putting an extra set of
                      MTB
                      > > bar ends onto the uprights for her to rest her feet on- it
                      works great!

                      > > I also strapped a folding canoe/camping seat onto the snap deck
                      so she
                      > > can lay back a little and enjoy the ride. She seems to enjoy it
                      much
                      > > more than being crammed in the trailer with her brother.
                      > >
                      > > My son is pretty happy as well since he gets the whole trailer
                      > > himself- which also means he gets a nap out of the deal. :)
                      > >
                      > > I've loved the bike so far, but it's got a special place in my
                      heart
                      > > now that gas is inching toward $4 a gallon.
                      > >
                      > > Jon
                      > >

                      > --
                      > --dlloyd

                    • Morgan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
                        Hi,
                        Another kid carrying Xtracyclist here. I moved my daughter from the Bobike seat onto the
                        snapdeck with stoker bars at 3 1/2. The sign from her that she was ready to make the
                        move: "I want to ride on the bike, I don't need the seat anymore!" It was pretty emphatic.
                        I gave it a reluctant go, and was surprised at how well she did with it, right away, so we
                        haven't put the seat back on since then.

                        She loves it - we ride 7 miles each way. She has on rare occasion started nodding off,
                        when she does I get her to start singing a song with me. I saw someone who had
                        fabricated a railing around the snapdeck as an extra security measure for kids, which
                        might be nice when/if they do nod off on long rides. Someday if I have time, I hope to
                        explore that option further.
                        Morgan