Re: [rootsradicals] Re: wideloaders

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
      ya...
      basically something just wide enough to support a decent duffel on

      On Apr 5, 2008, at 9:08 PM, stoutag wrote:

      Let me know if you go for it. I've yet to get my BD (my first xtracycle rig) up and running but
      thinking about how my wife and I will be using this and seeing other's useage, it really does
      seem that a set of slightly cut down wideloaders would be something you could leave on all
      the time, yet still really provide just as much support as they did at original length.

      So yeah, I'm thinking about doing the same thing, cutting perhaps 3" or so bring the total
      width in a half a foot, without really compensating the function at all.

      Anthony

    • Sean Moore
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
        I haven't seen the things in person but could you guys just copy them?  Some AL tubing and a conduit bender might get the job done.

        --
        Sean Moore
        moore.sean@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
          yup, thats kind of what im thinking too
          but instead maybe stainless steel
          d-

          On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@ mac.com> wrote:

          ya...

          basically something just wide enough to support a decent duffel on

          On Apr 5, 2008, at 9:08 PM, stoutag wrote:

          Let me know if you go for it. I've yet to get my BD (my first xtracycle rig) up and running but
          thinking about how my wife and I will be using this and seeing other's useage, it really does
          seem that a set of slightly cut down wideloaders would be something you could leave on all
          the time, yet still really provide just as much support as they did at original length.

          So yeah, I'm thinking about doing the same thing, cutting perhaps 3" or so bring the total
          width in a half a foot, without really compensating the function at all.

          Anthony

          --
          Sean Moore
          moore.sean@gmail. com

        • Phil Good-Elliott
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Moore" <moore.sean@...> wrote:

            > I haven't seen the things in person but could you guys just copy them? Some
            > AL tubing and a conduit bender might get the job done.

            Content below was posted on November 27?, 2007

            -

            So I've had my X for maybe a month and I've already started
            customizing it. I have two kids and want to be able to haul them both
            at the same time. My son was a bit nervous about this so I made
            running boards. The maiden voyage was a success despite the 115 pound
            combined weight. I used some castoff steel tube, some 3/8" plywood, a
            bit of hardwood as a stiffener, and a handful of machine screws and
            lock nuts.

            In version 1.0 I just cut two pieces of tube and send them all the way
            through the front bridge and rear bridge. The problem is these are
            not so very removable. In version 2 I want to switch to 4 pieces of
            tube: a left and right on each bridge. When I do this I need some way
            to retain the tubes. Obviously four 1/4 detent buttons would do the
            trick, but I am stumped as to a source for these. I have looked at
            used crutches and walkers as well as jointed kayak paddles, but both
            of these industries are very fond of 5/16" and 3/8" detents.

            I found one other source in the concrete tools industry. Kraft Tools
            makes two sizes but they don't indicate the button diameters. See
            http://www.concretetools.com/fs_show_items.php?this_category_id=534&category_id=\
            546

            So despite all this research and two free 5/16" buttons from the local
            outfitter, I am still stumped. Anyone have an sources?

            Incidentally, used crutches and walkers seem to be great sources for
            aluminum tube in bridge-compatible diameters. Take your calipers or
            your X to verify, but every crutch I measured had a leg with an OD of
            0.875" - 0.90". Both walkers I saw had four 0.875" OD x 0.049" wall
            tubes. Ultimately, I bought a walker, but I still need the detent
            buttons. :-)

            Philip
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008

                          Perhaps I have had my FreeRadical and Wide-loaders for a number of years now and my Xtracycle set up is not as up-to-date because me wide-loaders and/or FreeRadical do not have pins or pin-holes for “locking” the wide-loaders in place as many people on this forum seem to describe. In any case, since I have heard some people talk about cutting down their wide-loaders so they are not so wide I thought I would share what I do. I simply keep one set of wide-loaders with an attached long-hauler on almost all the time, but I slide the one wide-loader further into the FreeRadical. The Wide-loader tubing does not reach the other end of the FreeRadical mounts, but it does limit the ability to slide in the other Wide-Loader from the other side. That does not bother me, since I usually just keep my second Wide-loader and Long-Hauler set at home unless I know I am going to haul a major load. For daily activities, having one set slid in further on the kickstand side of my bike does the trick.

                          I would think it might be a real shame to cut off three inches from the ends of a Wide-loader just to make it not stick out as much, when all you would really need to do is slide it in more and not use a wide-loader set up on the other side. When I worked as a messenger I did always carry the second wide-loader & long-hauler set folded up in the Freeloader bag on the other side of my bike. 80% of the time I could manage fine with just using the kickstand side wide-loader slid in deeper. The rest of the time I would just slide in both wide-loaders evenly.

              _TONE_

            • kwikfile08
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
                Just what are the dimensions of the Freeloaders tubes and the wideloaders anyway?

                I do not have calipers do get an accurate measurement of the OD's.

                As an aside:

                How about a straight rod piece with the Velcro strap/concave plastic stuff at two ends.
                This would reach across the freeloaders front to back on the inside to provide support
                for stuff in your bags from bumping into the brake side or derailuer side. They would be
                removable and priced at $15 dollars a pair ?
                Xtracycle are you reading this ? Please make these!

                namaste,

                Carl

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <Tone@...> wrote:

                > Perhaps I have had my FreeRadical and Wide-loaders for a
                > number of years now and my Xtracycle set up is not as up-to-date because
                > me wide-loaders and/or FreeRadical do not have pins or pin-holes for
                > "locking" the wide-loaders in place as many people on this forum seem to
                > describe. In any case, since I have heard some people talk about cutting
                > down their wide-loaders so they are not so wide I thought I would share
                > what I do. I simply keep one set of wide-loaders with an attached
                > long-hauler on almost all the time, but I slide the one wide-loader
                > further into the FreeRadical. The Wide-loader tubing does not reach the
                > other end of the FreeRadical mounts, but it does limit the ability to
                > slide in the other Wide-Loader from the other side. That does not bother
                > me, since I usually just keep my second Wide-loader and Long-Hauler set
                > at home unless I know I am going to haul a major load. For daily
                > activities, having one set slid in further on the kickstand side of my
                > bike does the trick.
                > I would think it might be a real shame to cut off three
                > inches from the ends of a Wide-loader just to make it not stick out as
                > much, when all you would really need to do is slide it in more and not
                > use a wide-loader set up on the other side. When I worked as a messenger
                > I did always carry the second wide-loader & long-hauler set folded up in
                > the Freeloader bag on the other side of my bike. 80% of the time I could
                > manage fine with just using the kickstand side wide-loader slid in
                > deeper. The rest of the time I would just slide in both wide-loaders
                > evenly.
                > _TONE_

              • Randy Diefenthal
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 8, 2008
                  I've seen the buttons at my local hardware store in the section with all
                  the trays of screws, switches, fasteners etc. I'm not sure what size
                  they were, but they were less than $1 each. If you can't find them at
                  your local hardware store, they may have them at Lowe's or Home Depot in
                  the same section.

                  Phil Good-Elliott wrote:

                  > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>, "Sean Moore"
                  > <moore.sean@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I haven't seen the things in person but could you guys just copy
                  > them? Some
                  > > AL tubing and a conduit bender might get the job done.
                  > >

                  > Content below was posted on November 27?, 2007
                  >
                  > -
                  >
                  > So I've had my X for maybe a month and I've already started
                  > customizing it. I have two kids and want to be able to haul them both
                  > at the same time. My son was a bit nervous about this so I made
                  > running boards. The maiden voyage was a success despite the 115 pound
                  > combined weight. I used some castoff steel tube, some 3/8" plywood, a
                  > bit of hardwood as a stiffener, and a handful of machine screws and
                  > lock nuts.
                  >
                  > In version 1.0 I just cut two pieces of tube and send them all the way
                  > through the front bridge and rear bridge. The problem is these are
                  > not so very removable. In version 2 I want to switch to 4 pieces of
                  > tube: a left and right on each bridge. When I do this I need some way
                  > to retain the tubes. Obviously four 1/4 detent buttons would do the
                  > trick, but I am stumped as to a source for these. I have looked at
                  > used crutches and walkers as well as jointed kayak paddles, but both
                  > of these industries are very fond of 5/16" and 3/8" detents.
                  >
                  > I found one other source in the concrete tools industry. Kraft Tools
                  > makes two sizes but they don't indicate the button diameters. See
                  > http://www.concretetools.com/fs_show_items.php?this_category_id=534&category_id=\
                  > 546
                  > <http://www.concretetools.com/fs_show_items.php?this_category_id=534&category_id=546>
                  >
                  > So despite all this research and two free 5/16" buttons from the local
                  > outfitter, I am still stumped. Anyone have an sources?
                  >
                  > Incidentally, used crutches and walkers seem to be great sources for
                  > aluminum tube in bridge-compatible diameters. Take your calipers or
                  > your X to verify, but every crutch I measured had a leg with an OD of
                  > 0.875" - 0.90". Both walkers I saw had four 0.875" OD x 0.049" wall
                  > tubes. Ultimately, I bought a walker, but I still need the detent
                  > buttons. :-)
                  >
                  > Philip

                • Philip Chase
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 12, 2008
                    One reliable source for 1/4" detent buttons is Xtracycle. I think
                    they charged $2.50 each for them.

                    I also made my own buttons with music wire bent around a pair of
                    screws sunk into a piece of wood an then decapitated with some bolt
                    cutters. You have to get the screw spacing just right for you wire
                    diameter, but with some practice you can make some passable wire
                    retainers that function in place of the detent buttons. They're not
                    great, but passable.

                    Though making your own foot pegs, running boards, or wide loaders
                    might be easy, I found making my own long loader tricky--it begs for
                    some good welding equipment. So I ordered one from Xtracycle. I took
                    the opportunity to buy some real detent buttons and avoid any extra
                    shipping charges. They are much nicer then my bent wire hack.

                    Philip

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Randy Diefenthal <randydief@...>