wideloaders

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
      a bit off topic here...
      the wideloaders i have, do not have the indent pins.
      recently, I've been thinking about cutting them down a bit...
      not so wide, wideloaders.  but of course, I've yet to actually cut them down.

      i think the indent pin, gig is a good idea, and it probably works most of the time.
      depending on the situation, i bet, I'd end up grabbing a set of needle nose pliers, and remove the pins, toss them in my tool box
      and be done

      peace...d

    • stoutag
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
        Let me know if you go for it. I've yet to get my BD (my first xtracycle rig) up and running but
        thinking about how my wife and I will be using this and seeing other's useage, it really does
        seem that a set of slightly cut down wideloaders would be something you could leave on all
        the time, yet still really provide just as much support as they did at original length.

        So yeah, I'm thinking about doing the same thing, cutting perhaps 3" or so bring the total
        width in a half a foot, without really compensating the function at all.

        Anthony
      • Devian Gilbert

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
            I haven't seen the things in person but could you guys just copy them?  Some AL tubing and a conduit bender might get the job done.

            --
            Sean Moore
            moore.sean@...
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
              yup, thats kind of what im thinking too
              but instead maybe stainless steel
              d-

              On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@ mac.com> wrote:

              ya...

              basically something just wide enough to support a decent duffel on

              On Apr 5, 2008, at 9:08 PM, stoutag wrote:

              Let me know if you go for it. I've yet to get my BD (my first xtracycle rig) up and running but
              thinking about how my wife and I will be using this and seeing other's useage, it really does
              seem that a set of slightly cut down wideloaders would be something you could leave on all
              the time, yet still really provide just as much support as they did at original length.

              So yeah, I'm thinking about doing the same thing, cutting perhaps 3" or so bring the total
              width in a half a foot, without really compensating the function at all.

              Anthony

              --
              Sean Moore
              moore.sean@gmail. com

            • Phil Good-Elliott
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Moore" <moore.sean@...> wrote:

                > I haven't seen the things in person but could you guys just copy them? Some
                > AL tubing and a conduit bender might get the job done.

                Content below was posted on November 27?, 2007

                -

                So I've had my X for maybe a month and I've already started
                customizing it. I have two kids and want to be able to haul them both
                at the same time. My son was a bit nervous about this so I made
                running boards. The maiden voyage was a success despite the 115 pound
                combined weight. I used some castoff steel tube, some 3/8" plywood, a
                bit of hardwood as a stiffener, and a handful of machine screws and
                lock nuts.

                In version 1.0 I just cut two pieces of tube and send them all the way
                through the front bridge and rear bridge. The problem is these are
                not so very removable. In version 2 I want to switch to 4 pieces of
                tube: a left and right on each bridge. When I do this I need some way
                to retain the tubes. Obviously four 1/4 detent buttons would do the
                trick, but I am stumped as to a source for these. I have looked at
                used crutches and walkers as well as jointed kayak paddles, but both
                of these industries are very fond of 5/16" and 3/8" detents.

                I found one other source in the concrete tools industry. Kraft Tools
                makes two sizes but they don't indicate the button diameters. See
                http://www.concretetools.com/fs_show_items.php?this_category_id=534&category_id=\
                546

                So despite all this research and two free 5/16" buttons from the local
                outfitter, I am still stumped. Anyone have an sources?

                Incidentally, used crutches and walkers seem to be great sources for
                aluminum tube in bridge-compatible diameters. Take your calipers or
                your X to verify, but every crutch I measured had a leg with an OD of
                0.875" - 0.90". Both walkers I saw had four 0.875" OD x 0.049" wall
                tubes. Ultimately, I bought a walker, but I still need the detent
                buttons. :-)

                Philip
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008

                              Perhaps I have had my FreeRadical and Wide-loaders for a number of years now and my Xtracycle set up is not as up-to-date because me wide-loaders and/or FreeRadical do not have pins or pin-holes for “locking” the wide-loaders in place as many people on this forum seem to describe. In any case, since I have heard some people talk about cutting down their wide-loaders so they are not so wide I thought I would share what I do. I simply keep one set of wide-loaders with an attached long-hauler on almost all the time, but I slide the one wide-loader further into the FreeRadical. The Wide-loader tubing does not reach the other end of the FreeRadical mounts, but it does limit the ability to slide in the other Wide-Loader from the other side. That does not bother me, since I usually just keep my second Wide-loader and Long-Hauler set at home unless I know I am going to haul a major load. For daily activities, having one set slid in further on the kickstand side of my bike does the trick.

                              I would think it might be a real shame to cut off three inches from the ends of a Wide-loader just to make it not stick out as much, when all you would really need to do is slide it in more and not use a wide-loader set up on the other side. When I worked as a messenger I did always carry the second wide-loader & long-hauler set folded up in the Freeloader bag on the other side of my bike. 80% of the time I could manage fine with just using the kickstand side wide-loader slid in deeper. The rest of the time I would just slide in both wide-loaders evenly.

                  _TONE_

                • kwikfile08
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2008
                    Just what are the dimensions of the Freeloaders tubes and the wideloaders anyway?

                    I do not have calipers do get an accurate measurement of the OD's.

                    As an aside:

                    How about a straight rod piece with the Velcro strap/concave plastic stuff at two ends.
                    This would reach across the freeloaders front to back on the inside to provide support
                    for stuff in your bags from bumping into the brake side or derailuer side. They would be
                    removable and priced at $15 dollars a pair ?
                    Xtracycle are you reading this ? Please make these!

                    namaste,

                    Carl

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <Tone@...> wrote:

                    > Perhaps I have had my FreeRadical and Wide-loaders for a
                    > number of years now and my Xtracycle set up is not as up-to-date because
                    > me wide-loaders and/or FreeRadical do not have pins or pin-holes for
                    > "locking" the wide-loaders in place as many people on this forum seem to
                    > describe. In any case, since I have heard some people talk about cutting
                    > down their wide-loaders so they are not so wide I thought I would share
                    > what I do. I simply keep one set of wide-loaders with an attached
                    > long-hauler on almost all the time, but I slide the one wide-loader
                    > further into the FreeRadical. The Wide-loader tubing does not reach the
                    > other end of the FreeRadical mounts, but it does limit the ability to
                    > slide in the other Wide-Loader from the other side. That does not bother
                    > me, since I usually just keep my second Wide-loader and Long-Hauler set
                    > at home unless I know I am going to haul a major load. For daily
                    > activities, having one set slid in further on the kickstand side of my
                    > bike does the trick.
                    > I would think it might be a real shame to cut off three
                    > inches from the ends of a Wide-loader just to make it not stick out as
                    > much, when all you would really need to do is slide it in more and not
                    > use a wide-loader set up on the other side. When I worked as a messenger
                    > I did always carry the second wide-loader & long-hauler set folded up in
                    > the Freeloader bag on the other side of my bike. 80% of the time I could
                    > manage fine with just using the kickstand side wide-loader slid in
                    > deeper. The rest of the time I would just slide in both wide-loaders
                    > evenly.
                    > _TONE_

                  • Randy Diefenthal
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 8, 2008
                      I've seen the buttons at my local hardware store in the section with all
                      the trays of screws, switches, fasteners etc. I'm not sure what size
                      they were, but they were less than $1 each. If you can't find them at
                      your local hardware store, they may have them at Lowe's or Home Depot in
                      the same section.

                      Phil Good-Elliott wrote:

                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:rootsradicals%40yahoogroups.com>, "Sean Moore"
                      > <moore.sean@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I haven't seen the things in person but could you guys just copy
                      > them? Some
                      > > AL tubing and a conduit bender might get the job done.
                      > >

                      > Content below was posted on November 27?, 2007
                      >
                      > -
                      >
                      > So I've had my X for maybe a month and I've already started
                      > customizing it. I have two kids and want to be able to haul them both
                      > at the same time. My son was a bit nervous about this so I made
                      > running boards. The maiden voyage was a success despite the 115 pound
                      > combined weight. I used some castoff steel tube, some 3/8" plywood, a
                      > bit of hardwood as a stiffener, and a handful of machine screws and
                      > lock nuts.
                      >
                      > In version 1.0 I just cut two pieces of tube and send them all the way
                      > through the front bridge and rear bridge. The problem is these are
                      > not so very removable. In version 2 I want to switch to 4 pieces of
                      > tube: a left and right on each bridge. When I do this I need some way
                      > to retain the tubes. Obviously four 1/4 detent buttons would do the
                      > trick, but I am stumped as to a source for these. I have looked at
                      > used crutches and walkers as well as jointed kayak paddles, but both
                      > of these industries are very fond of 5/16" and 3/8" detents.
                      >
                      > I found one other source in the concrete tools industry. Kraft Tools
                      > makes two sizes but they don't indicate the button diameters. See
                      > http://www.concretetools.com/fs_show_items.php?this_category_id=534&category_id=\
                      > 546
                      > <http://www.concretetools.com/fs_show_items.php?this_category_id=534&category_id=546>
                      >
                      > So despite all this research and two free 5/16" buttons from the local
                      > outfitter, I am still stumped. Anyone have an sources?
                      >
                      > Incidentally, used crutches and walkers seem to be great sources for
                      > aluminum tube in bridge-compatible diameters. Take your calipers or
                      > your X to verify, but every crutch I measured had a leg with an OD of
                      > 0.875" - 0.90". Both walkers I saw had four 0.875" OD x 0.049" wall
                      > tubes. Ultimately, I bought a walker, but I still need the detent
                      > buttons. :-)
                      >
                      > Philip

                    • Philip Chase
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 12, 2008
                        One reliable source for 1/4" detent buttons is Xtracycle. I think
                        they charged $2.50 each for them.

                        I also made my own buttons with music wire bent around a pair of
                        screws sunk into a piece of wood an then decapitated with some bolt
                        cutters. You have to get the screw spacing just right for you wire
                        diameter, but with some practice you can make some passable wire
                        retainers that function in place of the detent buttons. They're not
                        great, but passable.

                        Though making your own foot pegs, running boards, or wide loaders
                        might be easy, I found making my own long loader tricky--it begs for
                        some good welding equipment. So I ordered one from Xtracycle. I took
                        the opportunity to buy some real detent buttons and avoid any extra
                        shipping charges. They are much nicer then my bent wire hack.

                        Philip

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Randy Diefenthal <randydief@...>