Re: [rootsradicals]

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2008
      its a basic culture thing.  until something major happens with our economy, etc
      most people will consider not having a car, an inconvenience

      thats part of the reason(s) motorists often get bent with bikes.

      i can not tell you how often some person has commented on how "I think i own the world.  riding your bike down the side of the road, parking in front of the store, and pulling right up front to the intersection with cars."

      I can not begin to tell you often I'd comment on the state of debt most people carry.  primarily as a by-product of living a Car-centric life.

      now that i dont have a job, for the last 6 months people keep asking me about my finance.  while, yes, i need to figure out a way to stop leaking cash, however, the last few years of working full time and saving money.  i think i can still manage until Fall of 09' without a job.

      when it comes to insurance, my filtering process was the bicycle parking ease.  my favorite of course was the local agent with free coffee, and they let me park inside.  so they got my biz.

      insurance, and cars... definitely two areas, i try to avoid.  like getting stuck in a big slummy city, at a minimum wage job.
      simply avoid it... if possible.

      godspeed

      peace...d

      On Apr 3, 2008, at 9:33 PM, kwikfile08 wrote:

      I think the commercial sucks - but this brought out an interesting question for my AA
      agent. I am working to Devian's status of car-free and Insurance free! Right on Dude!

      gret topic - thank you

      Carl

      --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "calvin weeks" <weeks.calvin@ ...> wrote:

      > Thats odd about State Farm as my agent gives a break on my insurance for
      > using my bicycle.She has been doing this for 6 years now. Will bring this to
      > her attention as I am sending the link to her.
      > ltr Calvin
      >
      > On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Mighk Wilson <mwilson@... >
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Here's what our "good neighbors" at State Farm insurance think about
      > > commuting by bike:
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl. com/36txg9
      > >
      > > You might want to send them a nice note telling them how you feel.
      > >
      > > Mighk
      > >

      > --
      > menemba.com

    • Anne Littlebird
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2008
        I have State Farm insurance - and have had for over 20 years. When I
        garaged my car in September to try bike commuting I took my car down to
        only comprehensive in case something happened to the car. I had to
        fight them because the underwriters said that as the sole member of my
        household I HAD to have car insurance. Oh my God! State Farm is Big
        Brother? I had no idea.

        In February I sold the car and went car free. No more car insurance. Yet
        again the system is foiled.

        Ain't t great?

        Anne

        Mighk Wilson wrote:

        > Here's what our "good neighbors" at State Farm insurance think about
        > commuting by bike:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/36txg9 <http://tinyurl.com/36txg9>
        >
        > You might want to send them a nice note telling them how you feel.
        >
        > Mighk

      • John Geiger
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2008
          I dont normally post on topical threads like this but thought that some of you might be interested in an email thread over on iBob related to this. Someone has put together a letter to send to State Farm. Seems to be a good summation of the issue and consequences. Again, Im just sharing, your free to decide whether this is an issue you want to respond to.

          To: Michael C. Davidson
          Vice Chairman & Chief Agency & Marketing Officer

          Re: Offensive State Farm TV ad

          I was dismayed to see State Farm's recent advertisement for car
          insurance, which makes fun of cyclists and suggests that cycling to
          work is a less acceptable mode of transportation than using a car.
          Your advertisement reinforces the dangerous attitude that cyclists are
          second class citizens, which only creates further tension between
          cyclists and drivers.

          Your ad is being widely panned in the cycling community on many online
          blogs and forums. Most of the 5,000,000 active cyclists in the U.S.
          also own cars, many own homes, and a large number are insured through
          your company. I suggest removing this ad, a public apology, a
          significant donation to the League of American Bicyclists, and
          creating new advertisements to promote cycle commuting and your
          existing programs of rewarding discounts to low-mileage drivers.

          Mighk Wilson wrote:

          > Here's what our "good neighbors" at State Farm insurance think about
          > commuting by bike:
          >
          > http://tinyurl. com/36txg9 <http://tinyurl. com/36txg9>
          >
          > You might want to send them a nice note telling them how you feel.
          >
          > Mighk

        • Devian Gilbert
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2008
            when Bicycles are mandated to carry insurance, then the Marketing will change.
            until then... bikes are personal property usually mounted to a roof rack.
            i cant imagine insurance companies actually making money from bicycles.
            i can only imagine how they cringe to write the check for a new Colnago, Thule roof rack, and body repair, when a driver puts their bike into an overhang.

            its marketing.

            insurance and cars... big wastes of money = your life.
            park the car, leave the keys, and title, ask for a refund.

            peace...d

            To: Michael C. Davidson

            Mighk Wilson wrote:

            > Here's what our "good neighbors" at State Farm insurance think about
            > commuting by bike:
            >
            > http://tinyurl. com/36txg9 <http://tinyurl. com/36txg9>
            >
            > You might want to send them a nice note telling them how you feel.
            >
            > Mighk

          • Phil Good-Elliott
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2008
              here's the official response when I wrote to State Farm using their web response form. Talk
              about less than helpful! I sent off a terse note in response, noting the poor customer
              service response.

              -Phil

              SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION
              Thank you for your feedback regarding our commercial that features a cyclist riding his
              bike to work.
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 5, 2008
                I got that same response, but the link did not work for me. off to the bit-bucket I guess.

                On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:

[...]

                please using the html string &reg . This will display as the registered trademark symbol

                *********

                --
                Devin Quince
                http://quinceurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/

                Start demanding safe passage on our public roads!

                Before there were automobiles, and after there will be automobiles, there will be bicycles moving people around for transportation"
                Andy Thornley, program director for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition

                "Being so close to death makes you realize that you are alive"
                Nels Johson 1988 Iditabike rider
              • Dane Buson
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 14, 2008
                  On Apr 3, Devian Gilbert tripped the electrons lexically so:

                  > its a basic culture thing. until something major happens with our
                  > economy, etc most people will consider not having a car, an
                  > inconvenience

                  Yup, that's something I think most cyclists underestimate. You can
                  proselytize all you want, and tell people how great cycling is, but...
                  The most effective way to get more cyclists is to make driving suck
                  more.

                  When you make it more expensive, make it harder to park, make it take
                  more time, make it less enjoyable, that's when people start to consider
                  alternatives. The carrot is nice, but driving is so much the assumed
                  standard in the US that the stick tends to work better.

                  > thats part of the reason(s) motorists often get bent with bikes.

                  I find most of these people all already upset (internally) and just feel
                  cyclists are 'other', so they're safe to lash out at. There seems to be
                  a large body of experience showing that people who attack other people
                  with their vehicles (to take the extreme case) rarely have much
                  justification. It's simply a case of xenophobia in most cases.
                  Attacking the *other* because it's *other*. The motivations given later
                  for the attack usually smack of rationalization after the fact.

                  > i can not tell you how often some person has commented on how "I think
                  > i own the world. riding your bike down the side of the road, parking
                  > in front of the store, and pulling right up front to the intersection
                  > with cars."

                  Well yeah! I can't help it I'm using the superior (and appropriate)
                  transportation for an urban shopping outting.

                  > I can not begin to tell you often I'd comment on the state of debt
                  > most people carry. primarily as a by-product of living a Car-centric
                  > life.

                  True, instead of being a two car family, we have one car and many
                  bicycles. The car is paid for and gets reasonably low mileage since
                  it's not used as a commuter. This means we have a lot more money left
                  over than your typical single income family.

                  --
                  Dane Buson - Buson@...
                  "The young always have the same problem how to rebel and