Re: [rootsradicals]

  • calvin weeks
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3 6:53 PM
      Thats odd about State Farm as my agent gives a break on my insurance for using my bicycle.She has been doing this for 6 years now. Will bring this to her attention as I am sending the link to her.
       ltr Calvin

      On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Mighk Wilson <mwilson@...> wrote:

      Here's what our "good neighbors" at State Farm insurance think about commuting by bike:

      http://tinyurl.com/36txg9

      You might want to send them a nice note telling them how you feel.

      Mighk

      --
      menemba.com
    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3 7:12 PM
        oh ya.... i had seen that.

        laffs.

        well... i dont carry auto insurance.  so i guess they know how i feel.

        peace...d

        On Apr 3, 2008, at 6:45 PM, Mighk Wilson wrote:

        Here's what our "good neighbors" at State Farm insurance think about commuting by bike:

        http://tinyurl. com/36txg9

        You might want to send them a nice note telling them how you feel.

        Mighk

      • kwikfile08
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3 9:33 PM
          I think the commercial sucks - but this brought out an interesting question for my AA
          agent. I am working to Devian's status of car-free and Insurance free! Right on Dude!

          gret topic - thank you

          Carl

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "calvin weeks" <weeks.calvin@...> wrote:

          > Thats odd about State Farm as my agent gives a break on my insurance for
          > using my bicycle.She has been doing this for 6 years now. Will bring this to
          > her attention as I am sending the link to her.
          > ltr Calvin
          >
          > On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Mighk Wilson <mwilson@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Here's what our "good neighbors" at State Farm insurance think about
          > > commuting by bike:
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/36txg9
          > >
          > > You might want to send them a nice note telling them how you feel.
          > >
          > > Mighk
          > >

          > --
          > menemba.com

        • Devian Gilbert
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3 9:53 PM
            its a basic culture thing.  until something major happens with our economy, etc
            most people will consider not having a car, an inconvenience

            thats part of the reason(s) motorists often get bent with bikes.

            i can not tell you how often some person has commented on how "I think i own the world.  riding your bike down the side of the road, parking in front of the store, and pulling right up front to the intersection with cars."

            I can not begin to tell you often I'd comment on the state of debt most people carry.  primarily as a by-product of living a Car-centric life.

            now that i dont have a job, for the last 6 months people keep asking me about my finance.  while, yes, i need to figure out a way to stop leaking cash, however, the last few years of working full time and saving money.  i think i can still manage until Fall of 09' without a job.

            when it comes to insurance, my filtering process was the bicycle parking ease.  my favorite of course was the local agent with free coffee, and they let me park inside.  so they got my biz.

            insurance, and cars... definitely two areas, i try to avoid.  like getting stuck in a big slummy city, at a minimum wage job.
            simply avoid it... if possible.

            godspeed

            peace...d

            On Apr 3, 2008, at 9:33 PM, kwikfile08 wrote:

            I think the commercial sucks - but this brought out an interesting question for my AA
            agent. I am working to Devian's status of car-free and Insurance free! Right on Dude!

            gret topic - thank you

            Carl

            --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "calvin weeks" <weeks.calvin@ ...> wrote:

            > Thats odd about State Farm as my agent gives a break on my insurance for
            > using my bicycle.She has been doing this for 6 years now. Will bring this to
            > her attention as I am sending the link to her.
            > ltr Calvin
            >
            > On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Mighk Wilson <mwilson@... >
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Here's what our "good neighbors" at State Farm insurance think about
            > > commuting by bike:
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl. com/36txg9
            > >
            > > You might want to send them a nice note telling them how you feel.
            > >
            > > Mighk
            > >

            > --
            > menemba.com

          • Anne Littlebird
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4 1:21 AM
              I have State Farm insurance - and have had for over 20 years. When I
              garaged my car in September to try bike commuting I took my car down to
              only comprehensive in case something happened to the car. I had to
              fight them because the underwriters said that as the sole member of my
              household I HAD to have car insurance. Oh my God! State Farm is Big
              Brother? I had no idea.

              In February I sold the car and went car free. No more car insurance. Yet
              again the system is foiled.

              Ain't t great?

              Anne

              Mighk Wilson wrote:

              > Here's what our "good neighbors" at State Farm insurance think about
              > commuting by bike:
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/36txg9 <http://tinyurl.com/36txg9>
              >
              > You might want to send them a nice note telling them how you feel.
              >
              > Mighk

            • John Geiger
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4 10:30 AM
                I dont normally post on topical threads like this but thought that some of you might be interested in an email thread over on iBob related to this. Someone has put together a letter to send to State Farm. Seems to be a good summation of the issue and consequences. Again, Im just sharing, your free to decide whether this is an issue you want to respond to.

                To: Michael C. Davidson
                Vice Chairman & Chief Agency & Marketing Officer

                Re: Offensive State Farm TV ad

                I was dismayed to see State Farm's recent advertisement for car
                insurance, which makes fun of cyclists and suggests that cycling to
                work is a less acceptable mode of transportation than using a car.
                Your advertisement reinforces the dangerous attitude that cyclists are
                second class citizens, which only creates further tension between
                cyclists and drivers.

                Your ad is being widely panned in the cycling community on many online
                blogs and forums. Most of the 5,000,000 active cyclists in the U.S.
                also own cars, many own homes, and a large number are insured through
                your company. I suggest removing this ad, a public apology, a
                significant donation to the League of American Bicyclists, and
                creating new advertisements to promote cycle commuting and your
                existing programs of rewarding discounts to low-mileage drivers.

                Mighk Wilson wrote:

                > Here's what our "good neighbors" at State Farm insurance think about
                > commuting by bike:
                >
                > http://tinyurl. com/36txg9 <http://tinyurl. com/36txg9>
                >
                > You might want to send them a nice note telling them how you feel.
                >
                > Mighk

              • Devian Gilbert
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4 10:53 AM
                  when Bicycles are mandated to carry insurance, then the Marketing will change.
                  until then... bikes are personal property usually mounted to a roof rack.
                  i cant imagine insurance companies actually making money from bicycles.
                  i can only imagine how they cringe to write the check for a new Colnago, Thule roof rack, and body repair, when a driver puts their bike into an overhang.

                  its marketing.

                  insurance and cars... big wastes of money = your life.
                  park the car, leave the keys, and title, ask for a refund.

                  peace...d

                  To: Michael C. Davidson

                  Mighk Wilson wrote:

                  > Here's what our "good neighbors" at State Farm insurance think about
                  > commuting by bike:
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl. com/36txg9 <http://tinyurl. com/36txg9>
                  >
                  > You might want to send them a nice note telling them how you feel.
                  >
                  > Mighk

                • Phil Good-Elliott
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4 7:02 PM
                    here's the official response when I wrote to State Farm using their web response form. Talk
                    about less than helpful! I sent off a terse note in response, noting the poor customer
                    service response.

                    -Phil

                    SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION
                    Thank you for your feedback regarding our commercial that features a cyclist riding his
                    bike to work.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 5 5:22 AM
                      I got that same response, but the link did not work for me. off to the bit-bucket I guess.

                      On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:

[...]

                      please using the html string &reg . This will display as the registered trademark symbol

                      *********

                      --
                      Devin Quince
                      http://quinceurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/

                      Start demanding safe passage on our public roads!

                      Before there were automobiles, and after there will be automobiles, there will be bicycles moving people around for transportation"
                      Andy Thornley, program director for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition

                      "Being so close to death makes you realize that you are alive"
                      Nels Johson 1988 Iditabike rider
                    • Dane Buson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 14 10:53 AM
                        On Apr 3, Devian Gilbert tripped the electrons lexically so:

                        > its a basic culture thing. until something major happens with our
                        > economy, etc most people will consider not having a car, an
                        > inconvenience

                        Yup, that's something I think most cyclists underestimate. You can
                        proselytize all you want, and tell people how great cycling is, but...
                        The most effective way to get more cyclists is to make driving suck
                        more.

                        When you make it more expensive, make it harder to park, make it take
                        more time, make it less enjoyable, that's when people start to consider
                        alternatives. The carrot is nice, but driving is so much the assumed
                        standard in the US that the stick tends to work better.

                        > thats part of the reason(s) motorists often get bent with bikes.

                        I find most of these people all already upset (internally) and just feel
                        cyclists are 'other', so they're safe to lash out at. There seems to be
                        a large body of experience showing that people who attack other people
                        with their vehicles (to take the extreme case) rarely have much
                        justification. It's simply a case of xenophobia in most cases.
                        Attacking the *other* because it's *other*. The motivations given later
                        for the attack usually smack of rationalization after the fact.

                        > i can not tell you how often some person has commented on how "I think
                        > i own the world. riding your bike down the side of the road, parking
                        > in front of the store, and pulling right up front to the intersection
                        > with cars."

                        Well yeah! I can't help it I'm using the superior (and appropriate)
                        transportation for an urban shopping outting.

                        > I can not begin to tell you often I'd comment on the state of debt
                        > most people carry. primarily as a by-product of living a Car-centric
                        > life.

                        True, instead of being a two car family, we have one car and many
                        bicycles. The car is paid for and gets reasonably low mileage since
                        it's not used as a commuter. This means we have a lot more money left
                        over than your typical single income family.

                        --
                        Dane Buson - Buson@...
                        "The young always have the same problem how to rebel and