Fresh from the box

  • charliewicker
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
      ...ahhh, just got my extra and have joined the (your) cult. Built it up on a 29er platform where I have about 2mm of clearance between the tires & edges of the extracycle. It rolls like magic. Already toted 5 gallons of paint + various bits and on another run a rented industrial paint compressor. The claimed "gravity juju" is real. The look on the clerk's face when he helped me carry all the stuff out was priceless.

      The best part is that my 5 year old LOVES riding on the snapdeck outfitted with a cozy pad from clevercycles.

      So, "Hi" to all you other people who just rarely, if ever, reach for the car keys... it's pretty cool.
    • Matt Gitchell
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2008
        Right on! I just picked up my Big Dummy on Sunday, first day I took my girlfriend, her luggage, and my bowling ball to the rain station. So much fun I can hardly stand it.

        I've passed another Xtracycle owner twice now in the few days since, and we grin at each other from the opposite sides of the road, probably because we're having more fun doing our day-to-day than the other folks on the road.

        I get rid of my car next week; couldn't be happier.

        --Matt

        On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:45 AM, charliewicker <charliewicker@...> wrote:

        ...ahhh, just got my extra and have joined the (your) cult. Built it up on a 29er platform where I have about 2mm of clearance between the tires & edges of the extracycle. It rolls like magic. Already toted 5 gallons of paint + various bits and on another run a rented industrial paint compressor. The claimed "gravity juju" is real. The look on the clerk's face when he helped me carry all the stuff out was priceless.

        The best part is that my 5 year old LOVES riding on the snapdeck outfitted with a cozy pad from clevercycles.

        So, "Hi" to all you other people who just rarely, if ever, reach for the car keys... it's pretty cool.

      • Anne Littlebird
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
          Oh my God! We're a cult? How weird is that?

          The sun finally came out 2 days in a row. Maybe it will stay for a few
          more. I'm tired of riding in the rain.

          Anne

          charliewicker wrote:

          > ...ahhh, just got my extra and have joined the (your) cult. Built it
          > up on a 29er platform where I have about 2mm of clearance between the
          > tires & edges of the extracycle. It rolls like magic. Already toted 5
          > gallons of paint + various bits and on another run a rented industrial
          > paint compressor. The claimed "gravity juju" is real. The look on the
          > clerk's face when he helped me carry all the stuff out was priceless.
          >
          > The best part is that my 5 year old LOVES riding on the snapdeck
          > outfitted with a cozy pad from clevercycles.
          >
          > So, "Hi" to all you other people who just rarely, if ever, reach for
          > the car keys... it's pretty cool.

        • Mark Garvey
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
            Why YES! didn't you KNOW?  We are all going to move into a compound in Texas and build a high wall, and keep everyone out but "True Believers"

            Bwahahahahahahaha!

            mark

            charliewicker wrote:

            > ...ahhh, just got my extra and have joined the (your) cult. Built it
            > up on a 29er platform where I have about 2mm of clearance between the
            > tires & edges of the extracycle. It rolls like magic. Already toted 5
            > gallons of paint + various bits and on another run a rented industrial
            > paint compressor. The claimed "gravity juju" is real. The look on the
            > clerk's face when he helped me carry all the stuff out was priceless.
            >
            > The best part is that my 5 year old LOVES riding on the snapdeck
            > outfitted with a cozy pad from clevercycles.
            >
            > So, "Hi" to all you other people who just rarely, if ever, reach for
            > the car keys... it's pretty cool.

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu
          • tda0818
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
              Don't forget the weapons caches and the wife-swapping. All the other
              cults would laugh at us if we didn't have weapons caches and
              wife-swapping.

              -- urbino

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

              > Why YES! didn't you KNOW? We are all going to move into a compound
              in Texas
              > and build a high wall, and keep everyone out but "True Believers"
              >
              > Bwahahahahahahaha!
              >
              > mark

            • kwikfile08
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
                Hey lenny -

                When we move on the farm, can I pet the rabbits? You know I won't hurt'em, you know i'll
                treat them real good...

                Carl

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008

                  Carl,

                              I do not know how rabbits came into the topic of our little Xtracycle cult discussion, but since we are on the subject…

                  I once hauled a pet rabbit in a plastic pet carrier on the top of my snap deck. The rabbit, Spencer, was being moved using my Xtracycle from my wife’s old apartment to my apartment back when we were living in Brooklyn. On that same trip I carried a six foot ladder, five potted plants, a suitcase of clothes or whatever, and either a computer monitor of small TV (I forget which). J I actually moved ALL of my wife’s stuff from her old apartment to my place over the course of several trips during a two week time period, including a futon mattress and frame. J

                              Rabbits can be quite skittish when it comes to things like transporting them, and I am sure Spencer was scared to death, but the alternative would have been an utterly traumatizing ride on the noisy-as-hell subway. J Casual slow bike rides through residential area while avoiding as many potholes as possible are WAY better. J

                  _TONE_

                • kwikfile08
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
                    In our Cult Ranch in Texas - I wanted to be the one to take care of the Rabbits darn it!
                    Somebody will have to do it right?

                    Anyway - While you shared your moving story. I remembered that I loaded two bags of
                    fertilizer, and numerous small potted tomato plants from home depot, up a 600 ft climb
                    over three miles. I am not tooting my horn because the full apartment move over 2 -
                    weeks is pretty hard what with all the back and forth. How is Spencer by the way?

                    have a great week! Keep cycling and recycling!

                    Carl

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <Tone@...> wrote:

                    > Carl,
                    > I do not know how rabbits came into the topic of our little
                    > Xtracycle cult discussion, but since we are on the subject.
                    > I once hauled a pet rabbit in a plastic pet carrier on the top of my
                    > snap deck. The rabbit, Spencer, was being moved using my Xtracycle from
                    > my wife's old apartment to my apartment back when we were living in
                    > Brooklyn. On that same trip I carried a six foot ladder, five potted
                    > plants, a suitcase of clothes or whatever, and either a computer monitor
                    > of small TV (I forget which). :-) I actually moved ALL of my wife's
                    > stuff from her old apartment to my place over the course of several
                    > trips during a two week time period, including a futon mattress and
                    > frame. :-)
                    > Rabbits can be quite skittish when it comes to things like
                    > transporting them, and I am sure Spencer was scared to death, but the
                    > alternative would have been an utterly traumatizing ride on the
                    > noisy-as-hell subway. :-) Casual slow bike rides through residential
                    > area while avoiding as many potholes as possible are WAY better. :-)
                    > _TONE_

                  • Anne Littlebird
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
                      Took my cat Gandhi to the vet the other day on the X. Can't say he liked
                      it. But then he doesn't like the vet either.

                      It did freak out quite a few people I passed though. Note of caution -
                      never teach your cat to say Mama then put him on the back of a strange
                      looking bicycle in a carrier. If I had a video I'd be rich. Large cat
                      shreaking a recognizable Mawma! Siamese are cool - except on the back of
                      an X.

                      Tone wrote:

                      > Carl,
                      >
                      > I do not know how rabbits came into the topic of our little Xtracycle
                      > cult discussion, but since we are on the subject…
                      >
                      > I once hauled a pet rabbit in a plastic pet carrier on the top of my
                      > snap deck. The rabbit, Spencer, was being moved using my Xtracycle
                      > from my wife’s old apartment to my apartment back when we were living
                      > in Brooklyn. On that same trip I carried a six foot ladder, five
                      > potted plants, a suitcase of clothes or whatever, and either a
                      > computer monitor of small TV (I forget which). J I actually moved ALL
                      > of my wife’s stuff from her old apartment to my place over the course
                      > of several trips during a two week time period, including a futon
                      > mattress and frame. J
                      >
                      > Rabbits can be quite skittish when it comes to things like
                      > transporting them, and I am sure Spencer was scared to death, but the
                      > alternative would have been an utterly traumatizing ride on the
                      > noisy-as-hell subway. J Casual slow bike rides through residential
                      > area while avoiding as many potholes as possible are WAY better. J
                      >
                      > _/TONE/_

                    • Anne Littlebird
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
                        Thank God I'm not longer married. No swappin' for me.

                        But I do have 2 tai chi swords, a katana and a long bow. Does that count?

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008

                          Carl,

                                      When I moved my girlfriend (now wife) into my apartment a couple years ago, she only lived about 15 blocks away, so going back and forth was not too terrible. I think it sometimes took longer to load up her stuff than it took to actually ride to my place. J

                                      You mentioning fertilizer and potted plants up a 600 foot climb makes me think we are on the topic of mega loads… check these photos out:

                          http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/lunarload-angle.jpg

                                      This is what drivers saw when coming up behind me. They probably did not realize I was even on a bicycle. J

                          http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/lunarload-back.jpg

                                      This is what drivers stuck at traffic lights saw as I passed through intersections. Luckily it was not windy! J

                          http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/lunarload-side.jpg

                                      I should mention I do not recommend this massive load carrying to anyone with an Xtracycle or a Big Dummy. I was very fortunate because I only had to ride about ten blocks with it. Except for literally three turns once I was out of the Home Depot parking lot it was primarily straight riding on not-so busy streets. In fact the Home Depot parking lot was the toughest part because of the maneuvering around the lines of parked cars as well as the moving cars. In fact when making 90 degree turns in the parking lot I actually straddled the bike and walked it.

                                      I also had a major problem when I pulled out of the parking lot into the street. That problem was called the gutter! I did not take into account the slope of the driveway out of the lot over the sidewalk down into the street. The street itself has a gradual slope off to the side to allow rain run-off, so when I biked down into the gutter the long boards jammed me into a stuck position. With no motion and the ultra-bulky load I became off balance and the bike fell sideways. It was definitely not fun having to completely re-load my bike and rebalance all the cargo back on the sidewalk while the backed up line of cars from Home Depot looked on.

                                      In retrospect it was pretty stupid of me to attempt the load. It was obviously do-able for me, but certainly not wise. I was building a custom installed bed for someone and I wanted to save my time and money by not having to make two trips. I guess the hardcore Xtracyclist part of me was also very curious to see if I could really do it too. Not to self and others: Most Home Depots and Lowes type mega-hardware stores will let you walk a bike through the store. Save yourself from locking up your bike outside and use it as your cart inside. This way you do not end up overloading. Can you tell I locked up outside and used a cart inside when I bought all that lumber in those photos. J <Sigh>

                                      Off the topic of Xtracycles, since you asked about how Spencer is doing, I am sorry to report Spencer passed away about a year ago. Spencer was not exactly a young bunny when my wife moved into my apartment back in Brooklyn. Within two years we moved out to York, Pennsylvania and sadly Spencer died a few months later. Spencer was actually a she (the original veterinarian did not correctly identify her sex, which is sometime difficult to do when rabbits are young), and female rabbits are sometimes at risk of ovarian cancer when they are older. Usually having female rabbits spayed earlier on will negate any risk of such cancer (as well as unwanted pregnancy of course), but we did not even know Spencer was a she until about a year before we moved to PA. At that point such surgery is more traumatizing to a rabbit and not recommended.

                                      While this report may seem rather depressing, do not be too sad. Spencer was over 8 years old, which is a fairly good age for a house rabbit. Also, within a month my wife missed having a rabbit around, so we ended up adopting a brother and sister pair of rabbits from a local animal shelter. Rabbits are very social creatures, so if anyone ever decides to get pet rabbits getting two or more is recommended. Just MAKE SURE they get along or are at least familiar with each other enough not to kill each other. Our to little ones got into hair-pulling hurricane matches occasionally to assert territorial dominance when introduced to new areas of our apartment, but they eventually cooled off and are good buddies now.

                                      In case anyone cares, below are some photo links. The girl bunny is called Marzipan, or sometimes just “Marzee” for short, because her coloring and sweet nature reminded us of the candy made from almond paste, egg whites, and sugar. The boy bunny is called Sergio because he looks like he has a mustache and my favorite comic artist is Sergio Aragones, who has an almost signature handle-bar mustache.

                                      Marzi on our bed looking out the window…

                          http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/Marzipan-BedWindow1.jpg

                                      Marzi on the windowsill in my home office... She likes to jump up onto anything she can. We actually had to alter our bunny fencing around our apartment to TRY to keep her contained because she would just jump over the fences.

                          http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/Marzipan-WindowSill.jpg

                                      Sergio nuzzled under our rolling chop-block in the kitchen… He definitely is not as much of a thrill seeker as Marzi.

                          http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/LilSergio-Mousey.jpg

                                      Sergio NOT looking like a mouse… and yes, rabbits can be trained fairly easily to use a litter box. You mainly have to concern yourself with house rabbits chewing on everything and shedding their hair on your furniture, etc.

                          http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/LilSergio-Litter2.jpg

                                      …and I apologize to everyone for taking this thread off-topic. Carl just had to ask about our deceased rabbit Spencer, so I wanted to lighten the mood. Also, my wife and I do not have children, so with all this talk going on about carrying kids on Xtracycles… Marzipan and Sergio are the closest thing we got. J Just be happy my wife is not on this mailing list. She has lots more photos of them. J

                          _TONE_

                        • Mark Garvey
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
                            On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:
                            Large cat
                            shreaking a recognizable Mawma! Siamese are cool - except on the back of
                            an X.

                            I have not had the opportunity to carry a kitty on my X.  We have TWO.  But I did bring home a large Goldfish one day in the freeloaders.  Evidently it didn't harm him..uh...her....it...whatever (ever try to sex a Goldfish?  NOT easy and even experts get it wrong about half the time!)  the BEST thing about a fish is that they don't make much noise and they rarely freak out!

                            mark