Re: No Foolin' -- Car-free at last!

  • stoutag
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
      Congratulations :)

      My wife and I went carfree with our kids about six months ago and
      while it was DEFINITELY an adjustment figuring it out as a family, we
      dont' regret it ONE BIT.

      Keep us posted!!

      Anthony

      http://longwalktogreen.blogspot.com
    • Anne Littlebird
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
        Isn't it great to sell the car? I did buy a motorcycle a few weeks ago
        for those odd trips that aren't feasible on the X but since it costs me
        about $6 to fill up and I get about 45-50 mpg in town, I'm OK with it.
        We have no rail and not likely to get any, and the bus system is
        terrible so I looked at the options and came up with the most practical.

        I did use the motorcycle one week for all my normal X trips just to see
        how many miles I'd been doing on the X. I'd have said only about 50 a
        week but I was stunned to find it was double that. I had no idea! No
        wonder I feel good.

        Now all of a sudden my coworkers don't think I'm so strange any more.
        They are jealous though...a second wideloader and I"m set.

        Anne

        katethelizard wrote:

        > My partner drove our car to his sister 800 miles away and flew back
        > yesterday, and I picked him up on the Xtracycle. What fun to pull up
        > on the X with a second bike in tow and amaze the people loading
        > luggage into car trunks. Yeeha!
        >
        > We live on the Monterey Peninsula, California (near Devian), one of
        > the most beautiful and bike-able places in the U.S., so we are doubly
        > lucky: on a bike we are so close to all this natural beauty. I lived
        > car-free in the D.C. suburbs before moving here, and I loved it there
        > too. Now instead of riding over the Potomac and among national
        > monuments, I watch sea otters by the receation trail on the way to the
        > farmer's market. Life is better on a bike just about anywhere (where
        > I'd be willing to live at all).
        >
        > Now if we can implement some reasonable rail or bus options between
        > here and San Francisco, or even Santa Cruz, this will truly be a
        > cyclist's paradise.
        >
        > Kate
        > Pacific Grove, CA

      • kwikfile08
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
          Anne,

          I saw this in the May (The latest) issue of Yoga Journal page 32. It is about this lady being
          the first woman in the US to own a Vectrix electric motorcycle.
          http://www.vectrix.com/portal/

          They also mentioned the EBox car http://www.acpropulsion.com/ebox
          An electric Scion too..

          Carl

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:

          > Isn't it great to sell the car? I did buy a motorcycle a few weeks ago
          > for those odd trips that aren't feasible on the X but since it costs me
          > about $6 to fill up and I get about 45-50 mpg in town, I'm OK with it.
          > We have no rail and not likely to get any, and the bus system is
          > terrible so I looked at the options and came up with the most practical.
          >
          > I did use the motorcycle one week for all my normal X trips just to see
          > how many miles I'd been doing on the X. I'd have said only about 50 a
          > week but I was stunned to find it was double that. I had no idea! No
          > wonder I feel good.
          >
          > Now all of a sudden my coworkers don't think I'm so strange any more.
          > They are jealous though...a second wideloader and I"m set.
          >
          > Anne
          >
          > katethelizard wrote:
          > >
          > > My partner drove our car to his sister 800 miles away and flew back
          > > yesterday, and I picked him up on the Xtracycle. What fun to pull up
          > > on the X with a second bike in tow and amaze the people loading
          > > luggage into car trunks. Yeeha!
          > >
          > > We live on the Monterey Peninsula, California (near Devian), one of
          > > the most beautiful and bike-able places in the U.S., so we are doubly
          > > lucky: on a bike we are so close to all this natural beauty. I lived
          > > car-free in the D.C. suburbs before moving here, and I loved it there
          > > too. Now instead of riding over the Potomac and among national
          > > monuments, I watch sea otters by the receation trail on the way to the
          > > farmer's market. Life is better on a bike just about anywhere (where
          > > I'd be willing to live at all).
          > >
          > > Now if we can implement some reasonable rail or bus options between
          > > here and San Francisco, or even Santa Cruz, this will truly be a
          > > cyclist's paradise.
          > >
          > > Kate
          > > Pacific Grove, CA

        • Anne Littlebird
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
            Yes they are cool but they are scooters. Top speed of 62 isn't bad but
            they aren't meant for the 1900 mile round trip to upper Minnesota I need
            to do. Although apparently there were 2 women that rode from New York to
            Minneapolis on Vespas.

            They are marketed for commuting and that's taken up by my X which I
            wouldn't trade for the world.

            Once they really make electric or alternative fuel cars in bulk then
            maybe I might buy one - but then maybe not. Commuting on my X has made
            me realize that I don't like being in a cage. I've been driving for 34
            years and I've always disliked it.

            They are happy to say that the ecars cost less then 15K. My Savage cost
            me $1700. Huge difference on my salary. And I'm wondering being so new
            what the realities actually are for maintenance. Nothing is maintenance
            free but the more I can do myself the better I like it.

            Anne

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
              On 2008-04-07, at 12:40 AM, Anne Littlebird wrote:

              > They are marketed for commuting and that's taken up by my X which I
              > wouldn't trade for the world.

              That's the glitch with a lot of this new electric stuff -- it's all
              chasing about the same market as bicycles (and xtracycles), but at
              much higher cost.

              There's lots of people betting lots of money on people avoiding
              physical activity no matter what.