Re: Carrying a larger dog on an xtracycle

  • akyramoto
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
      My BC weighs 55lbs, she is pretty easy to haul around in a rubbermaid
      tub strapped to the wideloader & v racks. if you had anything on the
      other side to help even out the load a bit would be good - but i
      didn't have too much trouble riding around with just her on one side.
      here's a vid of it.

      http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/Xtracycle/?action=view¤t=P8250227.flv

      and some pics

      http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/Xtracycle/P8250230.jpg

      http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/akyramoto/Xtracycle/P8250228.jpg

      then when I need to take ALL of my dogs ( 3 of them) they go in the
      kennel thats strapped to a trailer
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/14845616@N04/2080907503/

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/14845616@N04/2081693100/in/photostream/
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "allancheateaux"
      <transient2011@...> wrote:

      > I've got a 55 pound aussie that cant stand staying home too. If you
      > have enough weight to counter balance and they stay still, its not
      > bad. But if they move, it can be a hand full. Anytime Taj comes with
      > and isnt going to run, I stick a trailer on the back of the X that I
      > made and he rides there. Its just better all around for us, or how
      > we've found out.
      >

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "stoutag" <thestouts@> wrote:
      > >
      > > My wife and our two young kids love to backpack in the mountains
      > here in Colorado, but
      > > have gone carfree within the last year.
      > >
      > > We've been taking training rides into the mountains on the weekends
      > to get fit enough to
      > > take kids and gear into the mountains to backpack on the weekends,
      > but the trick at this
      > > point is whether it is also possible to take our 50# australian
      > shepherd with us.
      > >
      > > I've seen some of the photos out there like the guy down in NZ who
      > built a box on a wide
      > > loader for carrying his dog, but that dog's about half the size of
      > ours if not a touch less.
      > >
      > > What are the dimensions of the wide loaders (I don't yet own a set)
      > and has anyone tried
      > > carrying a dog of similar size on their xtracycle? I'm thinking I
      > could build a likewise box to
      > > what the guy in NZ did and she could ride in that sitting, and load
      > gear on the other side to
      > > balance the weight out a bit.
      > >
      > > Any tips/suggestions on this are VERY welcome :)
      > >
      > > Anthony

    • stoutag
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
        Thats great, particularly handy as I already have about 4 of those
        tubs doing nothing in my garage. Thanks for the tip and the video.
        I'll have to give that a shot as soon as I've got my big dummy built up!

        Anthony