Lock it up

  • Jeff Youngstrom
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2006
      Hiya!

      I seem to have lost my cable lock somewhere on Thursday.

      Back before the freeradical I used a standard u-lock through the frame
      and rear wheel of my bike and around a handy post in most parking
      situations. This obviously doesn't work with the freerad installed. I
      traded with my wife who had a kryptonite cable lock, and while it
      worked okay it was kind of a hassle to thread the coily cable through
      the frame and a wheel and around something solid.

      I'm not in a place like NYC where I have to worry about all my
      components (see thread here:
      http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=164), I just need a way to
      make sure the bike doesn't wander off while I'm getting more stuff to
      carry on it.

      Anybody got a lock solution that works well with their xtracycle?

      jeffy in Issaquah, WA
    • Andrew Janjigian

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2006
          Roaming around D.C., I use a u-lock around frame and post. I even leave my helmet, gloves, and rain gear in the FreeLoaders without worry of theft.

          - Ben

          On 9 Jun 2006, at 17:27, Andrew Janjigian wrote:

[...]

        • James Francis DeVoge, III

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
              I used to live in Boston, where bicycle theft isn't up to NYC but is
              still frequent. I use Kryptonite CNC-machined locking skewers, which
              are worry-free, and mostly hassle-free (as long as you remember to
              carry the key with you in the event of a flat). I never worried about
              anyone taking the FreeRad though.

              Michael

              > I echo that here in Houston, Texas - shopping and commuting have
              been theft-free using only a U-Lock around my frame and various bike
              racks and poles.

              > James
              >
              > Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@...> wrote:
              Roaming around D.C., I use a u-lock around frame and
              post. I even leave my helmet, gloves, and rain gear in the
              FreeLoaders without worry of theft.

              > - Ben
              >
              > On 9 Jun 2006, at 17:27, Andrew Janjigian wrote:
              >
              > I just lock the front wheel and frame with a u-lock. The rear
              wheel and FreeRad are far to tightly bound to the frame to fear being
              stolen in the time it takes you to complete a shopping spree.

              > AJ
              > On Jun 9, 2006, at 4:58 PM, Jeff Youngstrom wrote:
              >
              > Hiya!
              >
              > I seem to have lost my cable lock somewhere on Thursday.
              >
              > Back before the freeradical I used a standard u-lock through the frame
              > and rea r wheel of my bike and around a handy post in most parking
              > situations. This obviously doesn't work with the freerad installed. I
              > traded with my wife who had a kryptonite cable lock, and while it
              > worked okay it was kind of a hassle to thread the coily cable through
              > the fr! ame and a wheel and around something solid.
              >
              > I'm not in a place like NYC where I have to worry about all my
              > components (see thread here:
              > http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=164), I just need a way to
              > make sure the bike doesn't wander off while I'm getting more stuff to
              > carry on it.
              >
              > Anybody got a lock solution that works well with their xtracycle?
              >
              > jeffy in Issaquah, WA

            • Robin
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 11, 2006
                Has anyone tried the German made PITLOCK locking skewers? You can get them from
                Peter White. I heard Kryptonite isn't making theirs anymore and when I checked their
                website, couldn't find 'em.

                Robin

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "mhr109" <mhr109@...> wrote:

                > I used to live in Boston, where bicycle theft isn't up to NYC but is
                > still frequent. I use Kryptonite CNC-machined locking skewers, which
                > are worry-free, and mostly hassle-free (as long as you remember to
                > carry the key with you in the event of a flat). I never worried about
                > anyone taking the FreeRad though.
                >
                > Michael
              • chrissammom
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 11, 2006
                  I have the ones with the OnGuard name. They are actually made in
                  Canada by www.pinheadcomponents.com. I think they were marketed under
                  the Kryptonite name before, as they were the same price (about $65 in
                  the QBP catalog). They work okay. I got a front skewer, rear skewer,
                  and seat post clamp bolt, all using the same key.I think the german
                  ones are different.