No Foolin' -- Car-free at last!

  • katethelizard
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
      My partner drove our car to his sister 800 miles away and flew back
      yesterday, and I picked him up on the Xtracycle. What fun to pull up
      on the X with a second bike in tow and amaze the people loading
      luggage into car trunks. Yeeha!

      We live on the Monterey Peninsula, California (near Devian), one of
      the most beautiful and bike-able places in the U.S., so we are doubly
      lucky: on a bike we are so close to all this natural beauty. I lived
      car-free in the D.C. suburbs before moving here, and I loved it there
      too. Now instead of riding over the Potomac and among national
      monuments, I watch sea otters by the receation trail on the way to the
      farmer's market. Life is better on a bike just about anywhere (where
      I'd be willing to live at all).

      Now if we can implement some reasonable rail or bus options between
      here and San Francisco, or even Santa Cruz, this will truly be a
      cyclist's paradise.

      Kate
      Pacific Grove, CA
    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
        Hi Kate:

        Looks like the Good Old Days parade is coming up on 4/12
        I'm pretty sure Joy is organizing The P.G. Sustainables again this year.
        I wonder how many Xtracycles are in the Monterey area now.

        seems to me that maybe we should put something together...
        like a bike culture, sustainable, everyday life Bicycle kind of thing.

        what are your thoughts?

        peace...d

        On Apr 1, 2008, at 10:05 PM, katethelizard wrote:

[...]

      • stoutag
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
          Congratulations :)

          My wife and I went carfree with our kids about six months ago and
          while it was DEFINITELY an adjustment figuring it out as a family, we
          dont' regret it ONE BIT.

          Keep us posted!!

          Anthony

          http://longwalktogreen.blogspot.com
        • Anne Littlebird
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
            Isn't it great to sell the car? I did buy a motorcycle a few weeks ago
            for those odd trips that aren't feasible on the X but since it costs me
            about $6 to fill up and I get about 45-50 mpg in town, I'm OK with it.
            We have no rail and not likely to get any, and the bus system is
            terrible so I looked at the options and came up with the most practical.

            I did use the motorcycle one week for all my normal X trips just to see
            how many miles I'd been doing on the X. I'd have said only about 50 a
            week but I was stunned to find it was double that. I had no idea! No
            wonder I feel good.

            Now all of a sudden my coworkers don't think I'm so strange any more.
            They are jealous though...a second wideloader and I"m set.

            Anne

            katethelizard wrote:

            > My partner drove our car to his sister 800 miles away and flew back
            > yesterday, and I picked him up on the Xtracycle. What fun to pull up
            > on the X with a second bike in tow and amaze the people loading
            > luggage into car trunks. Yeeha!
            >
            > We live on the Monterey Peninsula, California (near Devian), one of
            > the most beautiful and bike-able places in the U.S., so we are doubly
            > lucky: on a bike we are so close to all this natural beauty. I lived
            > car-free in the D.C. suburbs before moving here, and I loved it there
            > too. Now instead of riding over the Potomac and among national
            > monuments, I watch sea otters by the receation trail on the way to the
            > farmer's market. Life is better on a bike just about anywhere (where
            > I'd be willing to live at all).
            >
            > Now if we can implement some reasonable rail or bus options between
            > here and San Francisco, or even Santa Cruz, this will truly be a
            > cyclist's paradise.
            >
            > Kate
            > Pacific Grove, CA

          • kwikfile08
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
              Anne,

              I saw this in the May (The latest) issue of Yoga Journal page 32. It is about this lady being
              the first woman in the US to own a Vectrix electric motorcycle.
              http://www.vectrix.com/portal/

              They also mentioned the EBox car http://www.acpropulsion.com/ebox
              An electric Scion too..

              Carl

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anne Littlebird <issumatuq@...> wrote:

              > Isn't it great to sell the car? I did buy a motorcycle a few weeks ago
              > for those odd trips that aren't feasible on the X but since it costs me
              > about $6 to fill up and I get about 45-50 mpg in town, I'm OK with it.
              > We have no rail and not likely to get any, and the bus system is
              > terrible so I looked at the options and came up with the most practical.
              >
              > I did use the motorcycle one week for all my normal X trips just to see
              > how many miles I'd been doing on the X. I'd have said only about 50 a
              > week but I was stunned to find it was double that. I had no idea! No
              > wonder I feel good.
              >
              > Now all of a sudden my coworkers don't think I'm so strange any more.
              > They are jealous though...a second wideloader and I"m set.
              >
              > Anne
              >
              > katethelizard wrote:
              > >
              > > My partner drove our car to his sister 800 miles away and flew back
              > > yesterday, and I picked him up on the Xtracycle. What fun to pull up
              > > on the X with a second bike in tow and amaze the people loading
              > > luggage into car trunks. Yeeha!
              > >
              > > We live on the Monterey Peninsula, California (near Devian), one of
              > > the most beautiful and bike-able places in the U.S., so we are doubly
              > > lucky: on a bike we are so close to all this natural beauty. I lived
              > > car-free in the D.C. suburbs before moving here, and I loved it there
              > > too. Now instead of riding over the Potomac and among national
              > > monuments, I watch sea otters by the receation trail on the way to the
              > > farmer's market. Life is better on a bike just about anywhere (where
              > > I'd be willing to live at all).
              > >
              > > Now if we can implement some reasonable rail or bus options between
              > > here and San Francisco, or even Santa Cruz, this will truly be a
              > > cyclist's paradise.
              > >
              > > Kate
              > > Pacific Grove, CA

            • Anne Littlebird
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
                Yes they are cool but they are scooters. Top speed of 62 isn't bad but
                they aren't meant for the 1900 mile round trip to upper Minnesota I need
                to do. Although apparently there were 2 women that rode from New York to
                Minneapolis on Vespas.

                They are marketed for commuting and that's taken up by my X which I
                wouldn't trade for the world.

                Once they really make electric or alternative fuel cars in bulk then
                maybe I might buy one - but then maybe not. Commuting on my X has made
                me realize that I don't like being in a cage. I've been driving for 34
                years and I've always disliked it.

                They are happy to say that the ecars cost less then 15K. My Savage cost
                me $1700. Huge difference on my salary. And I'm wondering being so new
                what the realities actually are for maintenance. Nothing is maintenance
                free but the more I can do myself the better I like it.

                Anne

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
                  On 2008-04-07, at 12:40 AM, Anne Littlebird wrote:

                  > They are marketed for commuting and that's taken up by my X which I
                  > wouldn't trade for the world.

                  That's the glitch with a lot of this new electric stuff -- it's all
                  chasing about the same market as bicycles (and xtracycles), but at
                  much higher cost.

                  There's lots of people betting lots of money on people avoiding
                  physical activity no matter what.