Biking discussion on "The oil drum"

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2008
      Hey everyone,

      "The oil drum" (theoildrum.com) is a website devoted to discussions of peak oil. Often
      there is much hand-wringing about the dire predictions resulting from dwindling oil
      supplies. Frequently, I see people stating that "there are no easily available solutions to
      reducing car usage" (particularly for the USA). I frequently try to point out that bikes
      (cargo bikes, electric bikes, etc) *are* such a solution, available right now.

      Just yesterday I started a sub-thread along these lines in response to an article "The
      expected economic impact of an energy downturn", and in the ensuing discussion, the
      fear of cars was the big one that came up
      (http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3747#comment-321852). It is like all these people
      sitting there predicting that the world is going to end, but not willing to get out of their
      "safe" metal cages to prevent it (I pointed out that, if you believe that peak oil will lead to
      resource wars, food riots, etc... then worrying about the safety of biking is kind of silly).
      Well, anyway, I thought that the discussion might benefit from other rootsradical member
      input, since many of the people on this list actually go out and brave their "safety" every
      day on a bike. Since the Oil Drum readers are already aware of the consequences/costs of
      oil dependency, I figure this is a great education opportunity to perhaps get a few more
      people out of cars and onto bikes.

      Morgan