Re: [rootsradicals] Being Seen (was My Accessorized...

  • Julio Alvarez
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 26, 2008
      To be more visible at night time, I have installed an orange neon light called DLG which you can order from rockthebike.com I feel so much safer with this light around my bike frame and cars definately see me much more cleerly with such light. I also use an orange reflective vest on my upper body. Now , this is the best I can do to be seen at night time. If I get hit by car in this kind of set up, I must assume the car driver is on the cell phone, day dreaming, or drunk.  I have been hit 3 times already and have had to go to the ER for treatment. Only the most serious accident was at  night time, but I was a bit at fault for not having  a front light on my bike at that time.
      holler,
      JUlio

      On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@yahoo. com> wrote:
      > So, what are all the ways people use to be seen at day and night?

      The only time I've been hit by a car was at noon on a sunny day. So
      yeah, day is definitely part of the equation.

      I recently picked up a Bell Metropolitan helmet in their blaze orange
      color. It's shockingly visible in daylight. It's got reflectors on the
      helmet for night time, but also has a reflective stripe on the straps
      (which is starting to delaminate on mine after less than a year of
      use)

      If the weather calls for a jacket I wear my Showers Pass Century
      jacket which is a bright goldenrod color. Visible but not
      eye-blisteringly so which I like. It's got reflectors on arms and
      back. I've got Nashbar rain/wind pants with some reflective piping by
      the leg zippers but otherwise black.

      That's it on my body. Times when I'm not wearing the jacket or the
      helmet, I'm just in street clothes, probably mostly black. Sometimes I
      want to look like a person instead of a bike monkey.

      On the bike I have the reflectors that came with it (spokes, white
      front), and the reflective patches on the back of the freeloaders.
      I've got two cheap multi-pattern blinkies on the back of the v-racks
      I'm thinking about running them in daylight too, but haven't gotten in
      the habit yet. Then I've got an old CygoLite halogen headlight with
      two beams that I seldom use both of for my suburban commute and
      ramblings. I took off the christmas lights after Epiphany. Oh, then at
      night there's the blue Down Low Glow. That gets people's attention for
      sure. Plus it is so darn cool!

      That's it. Not very much really.

      Has anybody used a car to test their setup to see how visible it is?

      night view with Christmas lights:
      http://flickr. com/photos/ jeffyoungstrom/ 2097618392/ in/set-515126/