Re: Breezer Uptown 8 SUB Concerns and Help Needed

  • bross_nyc
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
      Hey John,

      The stock set-up on the xtracycle is 38x18 and thanks to the handy
      calculator on sheldonbrown.com I now know I have a gear range of 28.9
      to 88.6.

      I haven't had a chance to test it out under hauling conditions.
      Where I live (Stamford, CT) is flat to rolling...

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...>
      wrote:

      > On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Hey John,
      > >
      > > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
      > > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning
      the
      > > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a
      campy
      > > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old
      above bar
      > > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
      > > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
      > > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
      > > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.
      >

      > They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
      > mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it
      and
      > a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
      > I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal
      dropouts.
      > I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
      > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg
      >
      > I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling
      > lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
      > running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low
      gear
      > of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
      > probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG
      hub
      > would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all
      the
      > groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.
      >

      > > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I
      decide
      > > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
      > > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often
      absent
      > > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the
      wiring.

      > Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that
      could
      > change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
      > before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re
      saying.
      > That's the kind of thing i would do.
      >
      > Good luck and have fun.
      >
      > John
      > --
      > John Speare
      > Spokane, WA USA
      > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006
        I put a "cube light" on the bottom tubethingy (until the fourth rough
        railroad track on teh Horsey Hundred jolted it loose - but I think I
        recovered all the parts except one battery the rolled irretrievably).

        http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19234&subcategory_ID=4322

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006

          I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the environment, etc...

          My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear crossbrace on the FreeRadical...

          The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

          > Hi Brian,
          >
          > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
          > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
          > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
          >
          > CL
          >
          > bross_nyc wrote:
          >
          > > Taillight.
          > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
          > > - and thanks for the extra wire)

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
            I like the hub lights. They're on my long-term wishlist.

            CL

            bross_nyc wrote:

            > I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub
            > powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the
            > environment, etc...
            >
            > My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear
            > crossbrace on the FreeRadical...
            >

            > The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com
            > <http://www.lickbike.com>
            >

            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Brian,
            > >
            > > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
            > > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
            > > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
            > >
            > > CL
            > >
            > > bross_nyc wrote:
            > >
            > > > Taillight.
            > > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
            > > > - and thanks for the extra wire)

            Cara Lin Bridgman
            Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

            P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
            Longjing Sinjhuang
            Taichung 434
            Taiwan website: myweb.hinet.net/home6/caralinb/