Re: Breezer Uptown 8 SUB Concerns and Help Needed

  • bross_nyc
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
      Hey John,

      When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
      discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
      yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
      road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
      shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
      geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
      smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
      great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

      Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
      to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
      solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
      minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

      -Brian

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...>
      wrote:

      > > 2. Tuning the internal-hub-gear. Once my chain was properly
      > > tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub
      gear.
      > > While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable
      housing
      > > I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
      > > length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away
      from
      > > the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the
      bike
      > > to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
      > > required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and
      see if
      > > it's a cleaner install.
      >

      > The shimano 8 IH can be a bit fussy to set up, so anything you can
      do
      > to lock it down and get the adjustment just right will be a good
      > thing. Once they're dialed in though, you never have to deal with
      them
      > again. Be sure you are lining up the yellow marks in 4th gear. It
      will
      > shift fine in the stand when those are not lined up, but it will
      slip
      > in 4 or 5th gear if it's not adjusted properly once you put it under
      > load.
      >

      > > Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch
      Muller,
      > > Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to
      fashion a
      > > custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the
      grocery
      > > store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.
      > >

      > check out this cheap mount:
      > http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/tmount.jpg
      >
      > it;'s about half way down this page:
      > http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp
      >
      > it's made for the BM tail light. I have this screwed into the
      > underside of my snap deck. It's great and never in the way. once i
      get
      > my camera back, I'll post some pics of it.
      >
      > Putting generator lighting on the xtracycle really does make it a
      damn
      > fine substitute for a car. Generator lighting has come along way --
      > it's wonderful to never have to worry about battery life; and these
      > lights are bright. The light + fenders and foul weather clothes on
      > board, we've been riding the thing daily for months now.
      >
      > --
      > John Speare
      > Spokane, WA USA
      > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

    • John Speare
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
        On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:

        > Hey John,
        >
        > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
        > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
        > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
        > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
        > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
        > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
        > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
        > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

        They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
        mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it and
        a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
        I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal dropouts.
        I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
        http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg

        I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling a
        lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
        running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low gear
        of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
        probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG hub
        would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all the
        groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.

        > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
        > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
        > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
        > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

        Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that could
        change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
        before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re saying.
        That's the kind of thing i would do.

        Good luck and have fun.

        John
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
          Hey John,

          The stock set-up on the xtracycle is 38x18 and thanks to the handy
          calculator on sheldonbrown.com I now know I have a gear range of 28.9
          to 88.6.

          I haven't had a chance to test it out under hauling conditions.
          Where I live (Stamford, CT) is flat to rolling...

          wrote:

          > On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Hey John,
          > >
          > > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
          > > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning
          the
          > > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a
          campy
          > > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old
          above bar
          > > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
          > > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
          > > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
          > > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.
          >

          > They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
          > mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it
          and
          > a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
          > I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal
          dropouts.
          > I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
          > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg
          >
          > I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling
          > lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
          > running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low
          gear
          > of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
          > probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG
          hub
          > would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all
          the
          > groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.
          >

          > > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I
          decide
          > > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
          > > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often
          absent
          > > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the
          wiring.

          > Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that
          could
          > change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
          > before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re
          saying.
          > That's the kind of thing i would do.
          >
          > Good luck and have fun.
          >
          > John
          > --
          > John Speare
          > Spokane, WA USA
          > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html

        • Susan
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006
            I put a "cube light" on the bottom tubethingy (until the fourth rough
            railroad track on teh Horsey Hundred jolted it loose - but I think I
            recovered all the parts except one battery the rolled irretrievably).

            http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19234&subcategory_ID=4322

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006

              I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the environment, etc...

              My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear crossbrace on the FreeRadical...

              The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:

              > Hi Brian,
              >
              > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
              > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
              > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
              >
              > CL
              >
              > bross_nyc wrote:
              >
              > > Taillight.
              > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
              > > - and thanks for the extra wire)

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                I like the hub lights. They're on my long-term wishlist.

                CL

                bross_nyc wrote:

                > I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub
                > powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the
                > environment, etc...
                >
                > My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear
                > crossbrace on the FreeRadical...
                >

                > The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com
                > <http://www.lickbike.com>
                >

                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Brian,
                > >
                > > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
                > > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
                > > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
                > >
                > > CL
                > >
                > > bross_nyc wrote:
                > >
                > > > Taillight.
                > > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
                > > > - and thanks for the extra wire)

                Cara Lin Bridgman
                Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

                P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                Longjing Sinjhuang
                Taichung 434
                Taiwan website: myweb.hinet.net/home6/caralinb/