Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Breezer Uptown 8 SUB Concerns and Help Needed

Expand Messages
  • John Speare
    ... The shimano 8 IH can be a bit fussy to set up, so anything you can do to lock it down and get the adjustment just right will be a good thing. Once they re
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > 2. Tuning the internal-hub-gear. Once my chain was properly
      > tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub gear.
      > While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable housing
      > I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
      > length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away from
      > the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the bike
      > to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
      > required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and see if
      > it's a cleaner install.



      The shimano 8 IH can be a bit fussy to set up, so anything you can do
      to lock it down and get the adjustment just right will be a good
      thing. Once they're dialed in though, you never have to deal with them
      again. Be sure you are lining up the yellow marks in 4th gear. It will
      shift fine in the stand when those are not lined up, but it will slip
      in 4 or 5th gear if it's not adjusted properly once you put it under
      load.

      >
      > Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch Muller,
      > Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to fashion a
      > custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the grocery
      > store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.
      >

      check out this cheap mount:
      http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/tmount.jpg

      it;'s about half way down this page:
      http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp

      it's made for the BM tail light. I have this screwed into the
      underside of my snap deck. It's great and never in the way. once i get
      my camera back, I'll post some pics of it.

      Putting generator lighting on the xtracycle really does make it a damn
      fine substitute for a car. Generator lighting has come along way --
      it's wonderful to never have to worry about battery life; and these
      lights are bright. The light + fenders and foul weather clothes on
      board, we've been riding the thing daily for months now.

      --
      John Speare
      Spokane, WA USA
      http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html
    • bross_nyc
      Hey John, When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the yellow dots - it
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Hey John,

        When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
        discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
        yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
        road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
        shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
        geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
        smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
        great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.

        Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
        to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
        solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
        minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

        -Brian

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > 2. Tuning the internal-hub-gear. Once my chain was properly
        > > tensioned I more closely examined the cable routing to the hub
        gear.
        > > While I still need to get my hands on an unbroken, long cable
        housing
        > > I was able to improving routing by shortening the overall cable
        > > length. Finally, by slightly tourquing the cassette joint away
        from
        > > the sprocket and resetting the cable tension I was able get the
        bike
        > > to shift perfectly. Looks like the special washers are not
        > > required. I'm still going to try and get my hands on them and
        see if
        > > it's a cleaner install.
        >
        >
        >
        > The shimano 8 IH can be a bit fussy to set up, so anything you can
        do
        > to lock it down and get the adjustment just right will be a good
        > thing. Once they're dialed in though, you never have to deal with
        them
        > again. Be sure you are lining up the yellow marks in 4th gear. It
        will
        > shift fine in the stand when those are not lined up, but it will
        slip
        > in 4 or 5th gear if it's not adjusted properly once you put it under
        > load.
        >
        > >
        > > Next Steps - get the tail light mounted (fyi - it's a Busch
        Muller,
        > > Shimano front hub-generator powered light). I'm going to
        fashion a
        > > custom mount. Well my immediate next step is to go to the
        grocery
        > > store...I'll get around to the tail light over the weekend.
        > >
        >
        > check out this cheap mount:
        > http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/tmount.jpg
        >
        > it;'s about half way down this page:
        > http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Schmidt-Lumotec.asp
        >
        > it's made for the BM tail light. I have this screwed into the
        > underside of my snap deck. It's great and never in the way. once i
        get
        > my camera back, I'll post some pics of it.
        >
        > Putting generator lighting on the xtracycle really does make it a
        damn
        > fine substitute for a car. Generator lighting has come along way --
        > it's wonderful to never have to worry about battery life; and these
        > lights are bright. The light + fenders and foul weather clothes on
        > board, we've been riding the thing daily for months now.
        >
        > --
        > John Speare
        > Spokane, WA USA
        > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html
        >
      • John Speare
        ... They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it and a chaingaurd on it.
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:

          >
          > Hey John,
          >
          > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
          > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning the
          > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a campy
          > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old above bar
          > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
          > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
          > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
          > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.


          They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
          mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it and
          a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
          I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal dropouts.
          I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
          http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg

          I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling a
          lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
          running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low gear
          of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
          probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG hub
          would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all the
          groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.


          >
          > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I decide
          > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
          > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often absent
          > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the wiring.

          Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that could
          change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
          before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re saying.
          That's the kind of thing i would do.

          Good luck and have fun.

          John
          --
          John Speare
          Spokane, WA USA
          http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html
        • bross_nyc
          Hey John, The stock set-up on the xtracycle is 38x18 and thanks to the handy calculator on sheldonbrown.com I now know I have a gear range of 28.9 to 88.6. I
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Hey John,

            The stock set-up on the xtracycle is 38x18 and thanks to the handy
            calculator on sheldonbrown.com I now know I have a gear range of 28.9
            to 88.6.

            I haven't had a chance to test it out under hauling conditions.
            Where I live (Stamford, CT) is flat to rolling...

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...>
            wrote:
            >
            > On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@...> wrote:
            >
            > >
            > > Hey John,
            > >
            > > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
            > > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning
            the
            > > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a
            campy
            > > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old
            above bar
            > > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
            > > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
            > > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
            > > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.
            >
            >
            > They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
            > mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it
            and
            > a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
            > I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal
            dropouts.
            > I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
            > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg
            >
            > I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling
            a
            > lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
            > running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low
            gear
            > of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
            > probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG
            hub
            > would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all
            the
            > groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.
            >
            >
            > >
            > > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I
            decide
            > > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
            > > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often
            absent
            > > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the
            wiring.
            >
            > Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that
            could
            > change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
            > before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re
            saying.
            > That's the kind of thing i would do.
            >
            > Good luck and have fun.
            >
            > John
            > --
            > John Speare
            > Spokane, WA USA
            > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html
            >
          • Susan
            I put a cube light on the bottom tubethingy (until the fourth rough railroad track on teh Horsey Hundred jolted it loose - but I think I recovered all the
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              I put a "cube light" on the bottom tubethingy (until the fourth rough
              railroad track on teh Horsey Hundred jolted it loose - but I think I
              recovered all the parts except one battery the rolled irretrievably).

              http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19234&subcategory_ID=4322





              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "bross_nyc" <bross.00@...> wrote:
              >
              > Hey John,
              >
              > The stock set-up on the xtracycle is 38x18 and thanks to the handy
              > calculator on sheldonbrown.com I now know I have a gear range of 28.9
              > to 88.6.
              >
              > I haven't had a chance to test it out under hauling conditions.
              > Where I live (Stamford, CT) is flat to rolling...
              >
              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "John Speare" <johnspeare@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > On 6/7/06, bross_nyc <bross.00@> wrote:
              > >
              > > >
              > > > Hey John,
              > > >
              > > > When I first took the new bike out for a spin pre-xtracycle I
              > > > discovered the 5th gear slip and quickly learned about aligning
              > the
              > > > yellow dots - it sure makes a world of difference. Having a
              > campy
              > > > road bike and an aging Deore XT equiped MT Bike (great, old
              > above bar
              > > > shifters) I was excited and curious about a modern internal hub
              > > > geared bike - I must say I'm very pleasantly suprised by its
              > > > smoothness and gear range. The whisper quiet, spot on shifts are
              > > > great too. I look forward to it's trouble-free promise.
              > >
              > >
              > > They really are wonderful chunks of hardware. I found an old Fuji
              > > mixte frame for my wife and stuffed the red-band 8sp IG hub on it
              > and
              > > a chaingaurd on it. She loves it --
              > > I've used the 7 sp on on an old stumpjumper with horizontal
              > dropouts.
              > > I've used it as a mountain bike and a kid hauler.
              > > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/images/1-25-06-1.jpg
              > >
              > > I'll be curious to see if the gear range works for you when hauling
              > a
              > > lot of weight on the xtracyle. What chainring and cog size are you
              > > running? I set my wife's Fuji up with 36/19, which provides a low
              > gear
              > > of around 25" or so. Pretty dang low, but my xtracycle has a low of
              > > probably 18" or so, and I use it frequently. I don't think the IG
              > hub
              > > would work for me, as I thypcially am hauling a 30 lb kid and all
              > the
              > > groceries (or whatever) up a bunch of hills.
              > >
              > >
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for the link to the bracket. I had seen that and if I
              > decide
              > > > to mount the light on the snap-deck it's high on my list of
              > > > solutions. My main hesitation is that I'd, in an all-to-often
              > absent
              > > > minded moment, thoughtlessly remove the deck and foul up the
              > wiring.
              > >
              > > Good point. I've never had reason to take my deck off, but that
              > could
              > > change. Plus the DT Toplight has a clip-on wire, so it may pop out
              > > before it actually snapped thye wire, but I hear what you;'re
              > saying.
              > > That's the kind of thing i would do.
              > >
              > > Good luck and have fun.
              > >
              > > John
              > > --
              > > John Speare
              > > Spokane, WA USA
              > > http://www.johndogfood.com/john/bikes.html
              > >
              >
            • bross_nyc
              I m going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it s hub powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the environment,
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 8, 2006
              • 0 Attachment

                 

                I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the environment, etc...

                My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear crossbrace on the FreeRadical... 

                 

                The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com


                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote:
                >
                > Hi Brian,
                >
                > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
                > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
                > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
                >
                > CL
                >
                > bross_nyc wrote:
                >
                > > Taillight.
                > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
                > > - and thanks for the extra wire)
                >

              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                I like the hub lights. They re on my long-term wishlist. CL ... -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Cara Lin Bridgman Ph.D. in
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  I like the hub lights. They're on my long-term wishlist.

                  CL

                  bross_nyc wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  > I'm going to try to use the light that came w/ the Breezer - it's hub
                  > powered and well I already own it- better for my wallet, better for the
                  > environment, etc...
                  >
                  > My plan, right now, is to use these to mount it to the lower rear
                  > crossbrace on the FreeRadical...
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > The picture has been borrowed from www.lickbike.com
                  > <http://www.lickbike.com>
                  >
                  >
                  > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Brian,
                  > >
                  > > I mounted an ordinary ~$2.00 blinkie to the traffic side v-rack. Lots
                  > > of room for all the blinkies you want. With all the weird things I put
                  > > on my FreeRadical, I've not dinged up the blinkie any.
                  > >
                  > > CL
                  > >
                  > > bross_nyc wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Taillight.
                  > > > Where oh where should I mount the taillight? (I'll figure this one out
                  > > > - and thanks for the extra wire)
                  > >
                  >
                  >

                  --

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

                  P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                  Longjing Sinjhuang
                  Taichung 434
                  Taiwan website: myweb.hinet.net/home6/caralinb/
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.